Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00   #16

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: Garmin autopilot & GPS compass?

Wow, I haven’t had any of these issues. We have a steel boat, and all Garmin gear- ghp 20 reactor with an L&S linear (electro hydraulic) drive. 2 Mfd’s- 721s and 740s; and a pair of gmi 10’s for wind and depth. Oh, and there is a Vesper AIS transceiver dropping data on the nmea 2000 network too. All units are networked. I installed it all myself 3 years ago; and it worked out of the box and has had almost no issues. Heading sensor is on the forward bulkhead of the main cabin, at about the waterline.

Have been quite happy with the whole system really- like I said, it worked out of the box and did what I expected. Troubling to hear that this is not well supported by Garmin...
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 04:06   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 42

Allright now! The new Garmin Reactor 40 software (2.2) was released 11th June. I installd it and now the autopilot allows using the external heading data. So Vector Compact can be set to heading source! It seems to work just beautifully now. Gonna test it a little bit heavier conditions ... but now it looks goooood.. At last. :-)
4kMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 04:43   #18

Boat: Nord Star 32 patrol

After I got the new Reactor 40 Compass, to replace a malfunction reactor 20, the autopilot introduced severe zig-zag driving. This was with the software dated February 2018.
In addition to this, another problem was introduced: Frequent communication errors between the autopilot CCU and ECU. (the compass and the steering/ "brain" units of the autopilot.)

After upgrading to the latest software earlier this week, the zig-zag issue seem to be solved, but need more testing to verify.

Still waiting for Garmin to send new CCU and ECU to me, as they have promised.

But the bright side:
With the new software, Garmin finally recognize my Simrad HS60 GPS compass. But I haven't had time to test if this works as heading sensor for the autopilot yet.
Trond123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, compass, garmin, gps