Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2019, 13:56   #1

Garmin depth sounder

I have a a Garmin GPSmap 188C screen that shows depth reading but the screen is now shot and I can now only see big black spots. I’ve traced a cable from the Garmin screen to a device that’s going through the hull (photo attached), so I’m assuming this is the depth sounding module.

My question what screens might work with the thru-hull sounder. Would something like the garmin handheld fishfinder work?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	199061
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 14:44   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Garmin depth sounder

The easiest solution would be to replace the GPSMap which are available second hand. However, they are getting on a bit now and don't show AIS if that is important to you. Good little GPS sounder units, had one on a rib in an exposed position for years in the early 2000s. You will need the 'c' version if you want colour.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARMIN-GP...IAAOSw7PFdZCPO
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:51   #3

AIS or color isn’t important to me. Based on your response, if I want to find a different (ie simpler) screen, then I’d have to install a new transducer, is that right?
asahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asahi View Post
AIS or color isn’t important to me. Based on your response, if I want to find a different (ie simpler) screen, then I’d have to install a new transducer, is that right?
I went through this last year when our Raymarine ST60 depth instrument started malfunctioning. Repair could cost at least $100 plus shipping, just replacing the head or transducer would be ~$200+.

For CDN$140 I bought a complete new Garmin Striker 4 fishfinder with transducer, and modified a $10 PVC octagon box as a transducer tank to shoot through the hull. Works great. Colour display, built-in GPS for storing waypoints, and displays speed over ground.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder, garmin