Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 08:43   #1

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Garmin GA-30 Under-Deck Mount

The Antenna on our GPS has given up the ghost and I have purchased a replacement GA-30 that came complete with an under-deck mount. I'm wondering if anyone has actually used one of these antenna in such a configuration. I would really like to get the thing off our rail and do away with the thru-deck fitting if the things work well below. Any user comments will be appreciated.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:58   #2

Boat: FP Lipari, 11.95 metres
I can't comment on the Garmin unit but I have a Furuno GP32 with the antenna mounted below decks in my anchor locker and it works fine.
Takamoana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12   #3

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Before mounting my Garmin GPS antenna which came with my 5208, I tried several possible mounting positions. Under fiberglass it worked fine, but if I laid my arm over that spot (cockpit rail next to a primary winch) the signal dropped to nothing.
I finally settled on a position ahead of the instrument panel beneath the windshield.
Even though it's under the boom, it gets 12 satellites almost all the time.
It's also out of the way of rain, waves and takes up no otherwise usable space.

I'm not familiar with the particular one you speak of, but I'll bet it's going to react to someone's body above it in a similar manner.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:10   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
I have a Garmin GPS18x mounted under deck in the stern quarter. It is in a place that wouldn't usually see people above it while the boat is moving and I have had no issues with signal strength.

I was dubious before mounting but thought I would give it a go. Easier to not fill holes in the deck from cables if you are unhappy with the install.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 05:07   #5

Guys--

Thanks for the input. Does any one know whether the antenna needs be horizontal? We have a reverse transom and I'm wondering if I could mount the thing on that, up in the corner where it would be out of harms way and not likely to be obstructed by rails, other gear or crew. It would be at an angle of about 60 deg's however unless I conjure up an L-mount of some type.

Thoughts?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 03-12-2010, 09:08   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Hook it up temporarily and set it on edge. I'll bet it won't work for beans that way.

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:42   #7

So yesterday afternoon I took the new GA-30 up to the boat, unscrewed the cover for the emergency tiller connection and ran the RG58 cable into the bustle through that. With the antenna connected I tried various locations with the antenna up-side up, up-side down, sideways et al. I placed it so I could sit above it and where it was partially sheltered by equipment on deck, above. There was nowhere that it was not able to receive a signal, even with me sitting directly above it (I guess I don't have such a magnetic personallity after all).

Considering that in some spots the deck is 1-1/2" thick, this antenna seems to be very sensative and I shall be able to locate it in a convenient spot out of the weather without difficulty (assuming I can learn to splice RG58 of course).

Thanks to all for suggestions...

Tags
garmin