Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2010, 19:27   #1

Garmin GPS18X USB with Franson GpsGate

Does anyone have any experience with the above? I am assisting a friend set up his gps 18x usb with cmap. But he has a Windows 7 64bit laptop and the garmin Spanner software is not being rewritten for this.

I have contacted Franson who say their gpsgate usb to com emulation software will work. Would appreciate knowing if anyone else has used this configuration successfully?

Regards
Sue
shenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 06:15   #2

Franson

Hi
I tried their program earlier on a differant computer using 7 pro and the XP virtual machine with Captn and it did not work. It just chrashed. Might have been something I did wrong but unable to figure it out being new to 7. Try the trail version maybe and report if it works?
Svadagio
svadagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 08:27   #3

Boat: Simpson 14.8
Re: Garmin GPS18X USB with Franson GpsGate

I just bought a Garmin 18x usb and can't get it working on my Dell 64bit win7 pro with many nav programs. Lucas
lucresai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:11   #4

I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one having problems with usb gps and laptops running windows 7. I bought a globalsat BU-353S4 and it works great with my home PC running windows xp (I mean it automatically finds the port its plugged into and everything!). On windows7 I got it to work once........after many attempts including installing , uninstalling, drivers from the install disc and from the web. Last night it wouldn't work.....am considering a different receiver, but don't want to spend the cash if I can't get that to work!!

The problem seems to be with windows 7. And I have not yet begun to integrate it with OpenCPN. Has anyone out there been able to find a fix for this? Will keep searching!!

Regards

Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:51   #5

Boat: Fastback 32 cat.

I'm using a garmin gps60 with franson gps gate on windows 7,no problem. I was certain I set up the computer as 64 bit but now it says 32 bit ?
Ian R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 18:15   #6

Got my gps to work on the laptop.....the fix is: right click the gps info program shortcut, and click "Run as administrator".......then it works fine. I still need to see if it will work with openCPN....stay tuned. Rich
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich W View Post
I am somewhat glad that I am not the only one having problems with usb gps and laptops running windows 7. I bought a globalsat BU-353S4 and it works great with my home PC running windows xp (I mean it automatically finds the port its plugged into and everything!). On windows7 I got it to work once........after many attempts including installing , uninstalling, drivers from the install disc and from the web. Last night it wouldn't work.....am considering a different receiver, but don't want to spend the cash if I can't get that to work!!

The problem seems to be with windows 7. And I have not yet begun to integrate it with OpenCPN. Has anyone out there been able to find a fix for this? Will keep searching!!

Regards

Rich
Windows 7 and USB problems. USB ports can often just drop out. I believe that this can be caused by windows power management option on the USB hub. What is worse is that sometimes when they are re activated they are identified by the OS as a serial mouse, causing havoc with anything running and your desktop. The solution to this is to Computer Management / Devices expand the USB then on each of the USB Hubs right mouse Properties then remove the Power Management switch off option.
sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin