Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2024, 13:02   #1
JPK

Garmin GPSMAP 67i as a backup/handheld GPS

I'm looking for a backup/handheld GPS device (preferably with Inreach capability). The "obvious" choice would be the Garmin GPSMAP 86sci, which is Garmin's marine handheld with Inreach. However that device is getting a little long in the tooth at 4+ years since release date. Garmin has a newer device, the GPSMAP 67i, which is an "outdoor" handheld and not a "marine" handheld. As such, it doesn't float, but what it does have is improved GPS capability, MUCH longer battery life, USB-C connection vs the POS micro USB on the 86sci, and is smaller and lighter. The only real downside (and it's not really a downside IMO) is that the 67i can only accept the Bluechart G3 maps and not the Bluechart G3 Vision maps like the 86sci can. But I don't think that detailed relief shading and satellite imagery is all that important on a backup device with a 3" screen. Oh, and the 67i is ~$50 less expensive.

So my question - is anyone here using the 67i for sailing? Any gotcha's that I'm not aware of?
JPK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
garmin, gps