Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 12:25   #16

Re: Garmin GPSmap 78sc. Worth the extra cash?

Okay. Maybe that didn't work. Here is the link that I cut and paste:

Garmin GPSMAP 76 PDF Owner's Manual Download & Preview - Page 28
alfreddiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 13:24   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfreddiaz View Post
ArmyDaveNY (an all),

But the 78 manual had no information on lat and lon and where to get it. Seems weird that it doesn't list the option since you need lat and lon to put in a waypoints, I would think.
Really? Because pages 19 to 21 of the manual for my 78SC cover the process of customising the data fields on any of the pages, and location in lat/lon is one of the available fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfreddiaz View Post
A basic Garmin chart, assuming you can upload it, will still cost you between $150 and $180.
The current cost differential between a 78 without G2 maps, and one with them, is $17.62, based on the pricing at Amazon. That's a lot of extra functionality for the money. For example, the ability to navigate down a narrow channel in fog with a failure of the main plotter.
Old 27-08-2016, 19:36   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
You are very welcome. I am pretty sure the 78 does NOT have a page that shows the latitude and Longitude. I have checked and even asked both the our Garmin rep and their tech support and no one could show me where it was. This tells me that even if it is there (and I'm pretty sure it is not) then it is pretty useless.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Cheers,

Dave
You do realise that you can customize the data fields on many pages on the 78 don't you? As well as select which pages are rotated through and the rotation order.

I've just set the Compass page to show one data field and configured it to Location.

(And the satellites screen also shows location by default)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Map78Loc-sm.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	130167  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:02   #19

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You do realise that you can customize the data fields on many pages on the 78 don't you? As well as select which pages are rotated through and the rotation order.

I've just set the Compass page to show one data field and configured it to Location.

(And the satellites screen also shows location by default)
Hi Stu, what year and model is that, and more important, what version of the software? It looks like a 78SC but I am unable to get that option on the 78SC I have. When you were in the compass field, how did you get to that option? The 73 is no problem but this 78SC does not give me the options as described in the manual.

I'm thinking that I may have an older version of the software. I have seen this before where an update fixes something or adds a feature.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 15:53   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

It's a GPSMap 78sc. Can't recall what year, but I'd guess I bought it at least 3-4 years ago.*

According to the Setup - About screen:
Software version 5.40

To modify displays is certainly bnot intuitive. You need to play around with Garmins quite a bit before you start to make sense of how the setup screens work.

Here's how to do it:

Scroll to the Compass page

1. Hit MENU once.
2. Scroll down to "Change Dashboard"
3. Hit ENTER.
4. Scroll to "Large Data Field" and hit ENTER
That puts you back on the Compass page with one large data field showing.

5. Hit MENU again.
6. Scroll to "Change Data Fields"
7. Hit ENTER.

That returns to the Compass page with the first (in this case only) data field highlighted (in a sort of light brown).

8. Hit ENTER again
9. Scroll to "Locations(lat/lon)"
10. Hit ENTER once more
That again returns to the Compass page.
11. Now hit QUIT to get out of the editing mode.

Another possible place to do similar is the Trip Computer page.
Follow the same instructions as above, but after step 4, you will see three data fields with the first one selected. Select each one in turn by and follow the above process to make it show whatever you want. (Speed, heading and Location are quite a useful combination)

*Edit - just checked my laptop and I installed Homeport in Jun 2012, so I definitely bought the 78sc more than 4 years ago.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 07:41   #21

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Going the laptop route lets you go for very large screens at low cost (refurbished or used). Add a dongle and free nav software and you are in business. You will still have the issue of where to put it. You can get a 12v power cord to plug into your 12v system so computer battery life is a non issue.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 08:58   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
You are very welcome. I am pretty sure the 78 does NOT have a page that shows the latitude and Longitude.

(...)
OK. No dedicated page, but it can display the pos data on any page.

Use a data field.

Just like any other 72/73/76/78 series.

manual page 21

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/GPSMAP_78_OM_EN.pdf

http://gpstracklog.wpengine.netdna-c...60CSXshade.jpg

right/wrong?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 09:50   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Alfred - I wanted a backup GPS and my wife really wanted the chartplotter to see instead on Navionics on my phone ( worked great) and we picked up a Garmin echoMap 44dv chartplotter with preloaded charts for all the US ( and the Bahamas ) for $200 on sale. Yes, it is a small screen but you can zoom and I just needed something that could be exposed to the weather, adjustable brightness and uses almost now power. Did I mention it came preloaded with all US charts? Be sure to get the one with coastal charts and not the inland fishing charts. And you get depth!! We also have one of the 78 series with altimeter - is great for hiking to know your elevation but it is 3rd level backup. I see WM has it for $249.99 now. Also have Navionics on the iPad for my tired old eyes.....
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 10:08   #24

Boat: Cal 33-2

Charts on a small handheld GPS are pretty much useless EXCEPT for ease of finding and programming waypoints. Ususally you just scroll around, press a button or two and you are in business. To me the most important features of a marine GPS are a built-in waypoint database and a 12V power cord. While I use paper charts for my primary navigation, I NEVER plot lat/lon on the chart. I find select my waypoints from the chart, find them on the chartplotter screen and then use the course, speed, time to waypoint data to navigate. The 12V power cord means you don't need to carry a supply of batteries, just a set to serve as a backup.

I would get the 76. Comes with a basemap and database of marks, etc. And you can get a power cord for it. Use your phone or tablet as a backup.

Tags
garmin, gps