Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2023, 17:15   #1

Garmin or RM MFD with RM instruments?

I realize this has been discussed many times and I知 still digging thru old posts but I知 looking for advice.

I currently have a Raymarine EV100 autohelm and i50/i60 spd/depth/wind. I知 looking to install a radar and MFD.

Honestly I知 not crazy about the i60 wind instrument. It痴 never accurate and I知 still trying to sort that out. That being said RM tech support has been good to work with. I do like the Garmin wind instrument but I知 not going to change those out at this point.

From a sailing perspective, mostly coastal and inshore, what痴 peoples take on Garmin vs RM chartplotters and radar? Is there a loss of functionality to mix the products or is it really just best to stick with one brand thru and thru?
Cdn_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 17:48   #2

Re: Garmin or RM MFD with RM instruments?

Certainly when things go wrong, having one brand all round makes it easier to get tech service. That applies even to local techs working on the boat. Most of them specialize (more or less) with one brand. Not that they can't work with others, but experience with issues and even just with menu choices and locations makes things go a lot faster if you are at home with the brand.

Garmin makes good instruments, but... I truly HATE the touch screen only interaction that is most of their products. It works fine at the dock or on a large powerboat, but on a sailboat in rough weather making small adjustments in, for example, your autopilot course it is a study in frustration.

A lot depends on the exact ergonomics of the installation, but the hybrid systems that let me make most adjustments and selections from buttons and dials is much better for my clumsy, fat fingers.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2023, 23:18   #3

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Garmin or RM MFD with RM instruments?

Whatever brand MFD you get, that needs to match the brand radar you get.
An autopilot can work independent of the MFD. So you can have a RM autopilot and Garmin MFD. However, there is some integration between the AP and the MFD. If they are not the same brand, you miss out on that. That may or may not matter, depending on how you use it.
Basic instruments, Speed/depth/wind makes no difference. They will talk to any brand MFD (assuming you use the proper STNG->NMEA2000 adapter cable)

Tags
garmin, instruments, men, rum