Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2023, 14:55   #1

Question Garmin Reactor 40 not autotuning nor lock to lock nor working

My Garmin Reactor 40 autopilot is not working, certainly not in rough seas.
I don’t think we have air in our hydraulic steering line, as I’ve bled it repeatedly, even the hose leading to the pump unit.
This is a 3.5-year-old Reactor 40 unit which performed beautifully until the hydraulic fluid got drained by accident, though not entirely.
The electronics now seem to be the problem. Our hydraulic steering continues to perform.
At best, we can hold course in non-rough conditions. On the display, GPS Hdg (COG) reads a number, such as “315 degrees magnetic,” while the large display where we would normally see the course as locked by autohelm reads a number like 144. I’ve photographed this weird set of numbers repeatedly and they differ, from one set to the next, by about 167 degrees.
Needless to say, when we engage on a heading, such as 315, the big display continues to show the likes of 144. And to fine tune, by one or ten degrees in either direction, does not work, as 144 is not 315!
We find also that that our heading drifts away from precise directions, typically a few degrees to the right.
We have tried the Dockside and Sea Trial Wizards. On Dockside, all goes well until Lock-to-Lock, which always fails. I’ve confirmed that the connections to our ECU are secure. We have a NMEA2000 set of connectors. The ECU unit is designated by S/N 5EE004275.
Otherwise, we’ve gotten some distance on Sea Trial Wizard, such as north setting and 1.5 turns, though invariably we can’t complete the Autotune, whether Standard or Alternative with their respective maximum speed verses cruising.
When we run the GPS at speeds below 5 knots, the boat icon inverts and we seem to be going backwards.
I’m stuck now in Virgin Gorda, hoping for some help on this, but the technician can’t get here for ten days.
I would be grateful for any suggestions. Much obliged,
Iguana Swim.
IguanaSwim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 18:53   #2

Re: Garmin Reactor 40 not autotuning nor lock to lock nor working

Failing the lock to lock normally means air in the lines. As it prevents the pump from stalling out. Which it needs to do at the ends.

If heading does not match cog. Then it can be calibrated. Make sure you didn’t store metal near the compass.

If it’s doing weird things maybe try a factory reset.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 18:54   #3

Thank you. I will bleed it some more!
Old 27-05-2023, 12:42   #4

Have a look at the a/b drive unit settings. If the unit thinks it is a linear drive it will get confused.
Sceptre41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2023, 06:38   #5

Thank you
It turns out that a sharp electronics mechanic in st Augustine figured it out.
He just changed some parameters, skipped dockside wizard and went straight to auto tune, then persevered until it took. That as 400 miles ago. cDSea was the firms name.

Tags
garmin, work