Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 17:00   #1

generic name of simnet connector?

anyone knows what are the generic name for simnet 5 pin connectors? or is it something proprietary which can be only sold by simrad?
ers61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 17:02   #2

Re: generic name of simnet connector?

img: https://ibb.co/xgsxNdW
Old 06-03-2022, 18:58   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ers61 View Post
anyone knows what are the generic name for simnet 5 pin connectors? or is it something proprietary which can be only sold by simrad?

AFAIK, it is proprietary to Simrad but it is fully NMEA compatible.

See https://www.simrad-yachting.com/help...uideId=002-970
Old 06-03-2022, 19:59   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah you can snip off the simrad connectors and put on a nmea2000 field connector and it just works

The simrad stuff is called Simnet
Old 07-03-2022, 10:24   #5

yes i know it’s nmea network just the connectors are different but i’m trying to find the male/female connectors of this type. so if anyone knows if possible or what is the name of the connectors that would be great.
Old 07-03-2022, 10:40   #6

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
yes i know it’s nmea network just the connectors are different but i’m trying to find the male/female connectors of this type. so if anyone knows if possible or what is the name of the connectors that would be great.
It's a proprietary connector. There is no generic. They manufacture it themselves.

What are you trying to accomplish?
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:46   #7

Quote:
What people are trying to say is that the SimNet connectors aren't generic, they're proprietary to Simrad... so probably only available from them if at all. If you absolutely need a Simnet connector, your only option is to buy Simnet cables, cut them, and splice or use a different connector.

Even Simrad sells a Simnet to NMEA2000 adaptor... so you can get that adaptor and buy N2K cabling and connectors, or if you can solder neatly, you can do what alctel just suggested.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 12:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
It's a proprietary connector. There is no generic. They manufacture it themselves.

What are you trying to accomplish?
thanks, i’m trying to build some nmea2k devices for my boat which uses simnet backbones all around the boat.
Old 07-03-2022, 13:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
What people are trying to say is that the SimNet connectors aren't generic, they're proprietary to Simrad... so probably only available from them if at all. If you absolutely need a Simnet connector, your only option is to buy Simnet cables, cut them, and splice or use a different connector.

Even Simrad sells a Simnet to NMEA2000 adaptor... so you can get that adaptor and buy N2K cabling and connectors, or if you can solder neatly, you can do what alctel just suggested.
this is my last resort only if i can find their cables here easly couldn’t find anywhere they sell online here. this sucks really but only option looks like ordering this from abroad and wait
Old 07-03-2022, 13:28   #10

Quote:
this is my last resort only if i can find their cables here easly couldn’t find anywhere they sell online here. this sucks really but only option looks like ordering this from abroad and wait
You could use ANY small 5+ pin connector (DIN, D-sub, Amp, Molex, 'aircraft', etc etc), even temporarily while waiting for your preferred connectors to arrive. You could even use small terminal strips, or tack-soldered splices.

Don't let something trivial like having the perfect connector right now! hold up your projects.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 13:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You could use ANY small 5+ pin connector (DIN, D-sub, Amp, Molex, 'aircraft', etc etc), even temporarily while waiting for your preferred connectors to arrive. You could even use small terminal strips, or tack-soldered splices.

Don't let something trivial like having the perfect connector right now! hold up your projects.
i built and tested the device it works these small connectors all look like each other. if i spend enough time i can even 3d print one which fits in place but they all will take time. looks like my option is to order one (ps. its rather easier to tap in standart n2k sockets