Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2023, 17:00   #1

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme
Getting MMSI for Boat with AIS, VHF, and Handheld VHF

We are going to be adding an AIS transponder to our boat to allow AIS transmit and receive. In addition to the AIS, the boat will have a panel mounted VHF that has DSC and AIS receive capability, and a VHF handheld radio with DSC capability.

We currently have no MMSI number and need to provide that to the supplier of the AIR transponder. Once we get the MMSI number, do we configure/assign that number to both the panel mounted VHF and the handheld VHF?

Thanks for any assistance/clarification.
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 18:39   #2

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Getting MMSI for Boat with AIS, VHF, and Handheld VHF

Assuming your boat is USA based…

As I understand it …

You can get your MMSI by applying for a ship license from the FCC. Easy to do by yourself. If your boat is documented in the USA and has previously had an FCC ship license you can reuse the MMSI if the previous owner cancels their license.

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...aritime-mobile

You use that MMSI for the AIS and fixed VHF.
For the handheld https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...dheld-stations

OR
if you do not plan on traveling internationally you can get a US only MMSI from BoatUS.

https://www.boatus.com/products-and-...embership/mmsi

Again AIS and fixed mount one MMSI, portable another.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 19:26   #3
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Assuming your boat is USA based…

Again AIS and fixed mount one MMSI, portable another.

Hmmm, I thought if you got a fixed mount MMSI it worked also for your portable. If you are only using a portable, then that is a different application.

Are you saying if you want a portable and a fixed mount, you need two MMSI numbers?

I just did my application for a fixed mount MMSI and it was pretty easy once I figured out how to do the on-line submission. I did it for international travel. I applied day 1 and I had the license by about 8am on day 2. I thought that was darned good!

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 20:09   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Getting MMSI for Boat with AIS, VHF, and Handheld VHF

I’m not certain re legal requirements. But my logic is this:

If you want to use DSC to call your fixed mount from your hand held or vice versa you may need a different MMSI number. Not sure, haven’t tested it but…

As well, the MMSI is not user reprogrammable. If you sell your big boat, the MMSI goes with it. You might want to keep your handheld. So you want a different number.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 20:25   #5
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
I’m not certain re legal requirements. But my logic is this:

If you want to use DSC to call your fixed mount from your hand held or vice versa you may need a different MMSI number. Not sure, haven’t tested it but…

As well, the MMSI is not user reprogrammable. If you sell your big boat, the MMSI goes with it. You might want to keep your handheld. So you want a different number.
The MMSI does not have to go with the boat - that only happens if the previous owner turns the number over to you. That is a different application. All of the data of emergency contacts etc. that is associated with a MMSI number has to be changed over to you if you are carrying the previous number over. My boat had a previous MMSI number but I did not keep it and got my own. Plus, with that came my SSB radio station authorization along with my call sign.

dj
Old 25-02-2023, 21:43   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Doesn’t boatusa let you get a mmsi number free?
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2023, 22:06   #7

Boat: Privilege 435

Yes get your mmsi from boatus. With a lot of devices, it’s a huge pain in the neck to change an mmsi, so make sure you add it correctly.
Old 26-02-2023, 04:08   #8
dlj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Doesn’t boatusa let you get a mmsi number free?
I don't know if it's free using boatus because I didn't do it that way. But by using boatus, you only get a MMSI number that is good for the USA.

If you aren't leaving the US, that's fine. In my case I'm heading off-shore so I need an international MMSI - that is not free ($186 is what I just paid) and needs to be done (from inside the USA) through the FCC. I don't know how you would do it from outside the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Confianza View Post
Yes get your mmsi from boatus. With a lot of devices, it’s a huge pain in the neck to change an mmsi, so make sure you add it correctly.
I'm finding this out...

dj
Old 26-02-2023, 05:39   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

It can be complicated (or a PITA as has been noted above).

DFELSENT's post above is pretty much the gist of it except that I would add a clarification and a different take on 2 things he mentioned:

1. Regarding using a different mmsi# for a handheld VHF -- I don't see the point in that. It's just likely to cause confusion. I like to follow the KISS principle. In this case, that would be one boat name, one boat owner, one mmsi#.

2. Regarding assigning an mmsi# to a device, it can be easy or it can be a PITA. That largely depends on whether your device already has an mmsi# assigned to it. If you buy a new device (AIS transponder, fixed or portable VHF, SSB, etc.) there is usually a set of instructions that comes with the device for programming an mmsi# for the first time. In that case, it's easy.

The PITA part comes in where you are buying a boat with used electronics that already have an mmsi# programmed into them, and you want to change that mmsi# to a new one that you obtained. In that case, only the factory or authorized dealer can change the mmsi#. So either you have to pay the dealer to send a tech to your boat to make the change, or you have to uninstall the device, and pack it and ship it to the dealer or manufacturer. That can get pricey depending on what the dealer charges for doing this, and how many devices you need changed. (It's not unusual for a boat to have one or two AIS transponders, a fixed VHF at the nav station, another fixed VHF at the helm, an SSB, and a couple of handheld VHF's).

When I bought my last boat, it came with electronics that already had an mmsi# assigned. I was fortunate in that the PO agreed to cancel his mmsi# (it's an online electronic form that he needs to fill out). Then I applied for that specific mmsi# -- which I knew would be available since the PO let me know that his cancellation had gone through). I bought a new handheld VHF and was able to program the PO's mmsi# myself. And I was able to go into the settings on my EM-Trek AIS and change the name of the boat without having to send the device back to the manufacturer. I imagine other manufacturers let you do the same thing -- you can change the name of the boat yourself, you just can't change the mmsi# yourself.

Good luck with your project!

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 06:11   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lex View Post
It can be complicated (or a PITA as has been noted above).

DFELSENT's post above is pretty much the gist of it except that I would add a clarification and a different take on 2 things he mentioned:

1. Regarding using a different mmsi# for a handheld VHF -- I don't see the point in that. It's just likely to cause confusion. I like to follow the KISS principle. In this case, that would be one boat name, one boat owner, one mmsi#.

2. Regarding assigning an mmsi# to a device, it can be easy or it can be a PITA. That largely depends on whether your device already has an mmsi# assigned to it. If you buy a new device (AIS transponder, fixed or portable VHF, SSB, etc.) there is usually a set of instructions that comes with the device for programming an mmsi# for the first time. In that case, it's easy.

The PITA part comes in where you are buying a boat with used electronics that already have an mmsi# programmed into them, and you want to change that mmsi# to a new one that you obtained. In that case, only the factory or authorized dealer can change the mmsi#. So either you have to pay the dealer to send a tech to your boat to make the change, or you have to uninstall the device, and pack it and ship it to the dealer or manufacturer. That can get pricey depending on what the dealer charges for doing this, and how many devices you need changed. (It's not unusual for a boat to have one or two AIS transponders, a fixed VHF at the nav station, another fixed VHF at the helm, an SSB, and a couple of handheld VHF's).

When I bought my last boat, it came with electronics that already had an mmsi# assigned. I was fortunate in that the PO agreed to cancel his mmsi# (it's an online electronic form that he needs to fill out). Then I applied for that specific mmsi# -- which I knew would be available since the PO let me know that his cancellation had gone through). I bought a new handheld VHF and was able to program the PO's mmsi# myself. And I was able to go into the settings on my EM-Trek AIS and change the name of the boat without having to send the device back to the manufacturer. I imagine other manufacturers let you do the same thing -- you can change the name of the boat yourself, you just can't change the mmsi# yourself.

Good luck with your project!

Bob

Check local regs, but in the UK, it is forbidden to use the same MMSI on your handheld -- handhelds have their own series of MMSI numbers.

The US Coast Guard says:

"A handheld VHF transceiver with DSC and an integral global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) not intended for dedicated use on a particular ship (e.g. a diver’s radio) should be assigned a unique 9-digit number in the format 81M2I3D4X5X6X7X8X9... " https://navcen.uscg.gov/maritime-mob...rvice-identity. That means -- unless you are using the handheld exclusively on board the mother ship, it needs its own MMSI. Which is completely logical.

Also DSC calling, position polling, etc., between mother ship and handheld is really useful, and you can't do it with the same MMSI.

You would also want the rescue services to be able to distinguish between handheld and mother ship in case of a distress call.

Changing MMSI number is not as hard as some people think. For one thing, most devices allow you to reprogram the MMSI once. And if you run out, there are hacks for many devices (some discussed in this thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ng-169815.html). In the worst case, a dealer can do it, and usually for free.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2023, 06:24   #11

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Check local regs, but in the UK, it is forbidden to use the same MMSI on your handheld -- handhelds have their own series of MMSI numbers.

The US Coast Guard says:

"A handheld VHF transceiver with DSC and an integral global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) not intended for dedicated use on a particular ship (e.g. a diver’s radio) should be assigned a unique 9-digit number in the format 81M2I3D4X5X6X7X8X9... " https://navcen.uscg.gov/maritime-mob...rvice-identity. That means -- unless you are using the handheld exclusively on board the mother ship, it needs its own MMSI. Which is completely logical.
I guess I didn't make myself clear. My bad. If was referring to use of a handheld VHF on the mothership (..."one boat name, one owner, one mmsi"...) If you envision the handheld being used on multiple vessels (e.g. a delivery captain or crew bringing his own portable VHF) it would make sense for the VHF to have its own mmsi#.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 04:06   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 32 Supreme

Thanks for the info above folks.

I went to the FCC website and registered with a username and password. I then created an FCC Registration Number (FRN). With the FRN and their ULS/CORES pages, I created the application for the Ship Stations License (for international and domestic use) specifying a VHF, DSC, and EPIRB on our boat using Form 605 and submitted and paid ($185). This was confirmed by my CC company.

If any of you went through the same process, did the FCC respond back via email with the actual license that has the assigned MMSI number? After confirmation of payment from my CC company, I expected a confirmation of the process via email from the FCC but got nothing. I wonder how long before I will get the license and will it be via email or USPS?

Any experience on how it went for you?

Thanks again!
DragonflyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2023, 05:10   #13

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post
If any of you went through the same process, did the FCC respond back via email with the actual license that has the assigned MMSI number? After confirmation of payment from my CC company, I expected a confirmation of the process via email from the FCC but got nothing. I wonder how long before I will get the license and will it be via email or USPS?

I received an email receipt and a copy of the SA license (both in PDF format). My cost was $220; dunno why different from yours.

You should also have (get) a Restricted Radio Operator's License.

Former is for the boat emitters, latter is for you.

-Chris
Old 27-02-2023, 10:09   #14
dlj

I got an email the next day with links to download the document. it took less that 24 hours.i was surprised how fast it was.

dj
Old 28-02-2023, 05:07   #15

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
...The US Coast Guard says..."A handheld VHF transceiver with DSC and an integral global navigation satellite system (e.g. GPS) not intended for dedicated use on a particular ship (e.g. a diver’s radio) should be assigned a unique 9-digit number in the format 81M2I3D4X5X6X7X8X9... " https://navcen.uscg.gov/maritime-mob...rvice-identity.
The cited MMSI scheme is recommended by the ITU, but for many years an MMSI specific to a handheld radio was not available to U.S. ships from the FCC. Apparently that problem has been solved. The FCC is now advising:

Quote:
Handheld VHF Marine Radios intended for use on multiple vessels will be licensed as a portable (SA-Portable) ship station license. A portable ship station is defined as a single transmitter intended for use on two or more ships (§80.5). As standard with Marine VHF Ship Radios, communications are prohibited when on land except when used within the bounds identified in FCC Public Notice 16-119.

In order to apply for a Handheld VHF Marine Radio license with a properly formatted MMSI ...you must file an FCC Form 605 along with the required Schedule B, and an attachment specifically requesting a VHF Handheld-Formatted MMSI. Without an attachment, a standard Vessel-Formatted MMSI will be issued in its place. (Emphasis added)
Cf.: https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...dheld-stations

and CLICK on the TAB "Handheld Vessel VHF".

I don't know the epoch when this change took place.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat, vhf