Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2008, 11:42   #1

Boat: 53' Grand Alaskan - Panache
Globalstar

Does anyone have up to date info on how Globalstar reception is now that have have added 4 new satallites to their system? According to the website they have been up and running since Nov/Dec '07.
ed stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 12:28   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
You need to see this link on their web site:

Constellation Update and Advisory: News Center: Globalstar Corporate

The newest satellites are spares. They still have a few more to go. The coverage map they have is still the same as it was for now.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2008, 13:00   #3

That's what confused me in my research last night. It does say spares but are those not replacing the ones that were lost in '06 and early '07?
Old 18-01-2008, 13:44   #4
Eternal Member

Ed,

Globalstar has a problem. A BIG problem. Their satellites are dying earlier than planned/expected. Some think it's due to solar storms.

Apparently, their RF amplifiers are dying. They've done a patch by launching 4 of their spare satellites; they say they have about 4 more. But, no one can say how long the system will be usable.

I've been a Globalstar user/subscriber for 5 years. I've used the system sporadically, cursed at it a lot, come mighty close to tossing the $600 phone overboard in a fit of rage and, recently, noted some improvement in availability.

They've recently published a satellite finder which can tell you, for any location you specify, the optimum times for using the system. Some of these "windows" are very short...only 8-9 minutes. Others are longer.

I'd like to see the company survive, because the voice quality is better than Inmarsat, the data is much faster (9600baud vs. 2400baud), and it's much less expensive. Globalstar is planning a next generation system with hardened satellites to be launched beginning next year. Hope they can hang on. That's why I maintain my $49 subscription, even though I don't get a lot of use out of it because I'm not traveling much these days. But, when I've needed it, I could usually get a satisfactory link if I remained patient.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 01:53   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
See the GLOBALSTAR, INC. SEC Filing,
specifically:
“Satellite Constellation Operations”
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...7-3495_18k.htm

“... Based on data recently collected from satellite operations, the Company has concluded that the degradation of the amplifiers is now occurring at a rate that is faster than previously experienced and faster than the Company had previously anticipated. In response, the Company, in consultation with outside experts, has implemented innovative methods, and plans to continue to implement additional corrective measures, to attempt to ameliorate this problem, including modifying the configuration of its constellation as described above, and thereby extend the life of the two-way communication capacity of the constellation. Nonetheless, to date the Company has been unable to correct the amplifier problem and may be unable to do so ...”

"... if the Company is unsuccessful in developing additional technical solutions, the quality of two-way communications services will decline, and by some time in 2008 substantially all of the Company’s currently in-orbit satellites will cease to be able to support two-way communications services..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 04:25   #6
Eternal Member

Gord,

Yep, that's what they said almost a year ago (Feb 7, 2007).

However, since that time they have successfully launched 8 satellites (4 in May 2007 and four in October 2007), and expect these 8 to last long into the period with the next generation of satellites beginning next year.

From their October press release:

Quote Mr. Navarra added, “Globalstar has invested approximately $120 million to launch these four satellites plus the four satellites launched earlier this year. We consider these eight satellites to represent the beginning of our next-generation constellation, because they will not only help bridge the gap today, but last long into and seamlessly operate with, our second-generation constellation. We are also pleased that we will continue to use the reliable Soyuz launch vehicle when we resume our Globalstar launches with our second-generation spacecraft in 2009. Unquote

They're by no means out of the woods, yet. But they're still in there pitching, and just this month sealed a deal to acquire a large Brazilian ground facility which will give them access to 200 million potential users.

Sure hope they make it.

Bill

GLOBALSTAR ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH OF FOUR SATELLITES
Press Release: October 22, 2007
Goto: GLOBALSTAR ANNOUNCES SUCCESSFUL LAUNCH OF FOUR SATELLITES

Globalstar Press Room (other releases): Globalstar News :: Globalstar Europe Satellite Services
Old 19-01-2008, 09:40   #7

Boat: 1974 Challenger 40 Ketch, Holding Pattern
Globalstar

If I was void of conscience I would offer to sell you our Globalstar. The best thing about it is the Pelican case it came in.
Here is an abbreviated list of the calls we have recently attempted
(NOTE: All calls were Nov-Dec 2007, post-launch)

Beaufort, NC - unable to connect
off of Cape Fear Light - unable to connect
off of Southport, NC - unable to connect
off of Savannah, GA - unable to connect
off of Brunswick, GA - connected for 3 minutes. call dropped.
Jacksonville, FL - unable to connect

We've had exceptionally bad luck and though customer service is pleasant to talk to, they can't do anything to help connect the calls...

Just my .02 worth...
Holding Pattern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2008, 10:22   #8

globalstar

Bill & Gord thank you for your responses. I'm leaving in August for a 9 month cruise of the Caribbean and trying to throughly research communication/data options. As you know the thing about Globalstar is their attractive monthly plans. Again the the old adage "you get what you pay for" stays with me even though I keep wanting to believe their service since launching the last satallites has to give improved service. Well I've got time so will just keep an eye on what happens. Thanks again.......Ed
Old 13-02-2008, 09:31   #9

GlobalStar is a bad deal, should be sued, and made bankrupt

Bill,

I'm really confused. You state: "I'd like to see the company survive." I hope they go under. They sell a product that does not work, and they have lied or issued misleading statements on numerous occasions. They are putting people's lives at risk. They have duped investors (who have issued their own lawsuits). I don't understand your cavalier attitude about this. Consider:

1) The phones essentially quit working in January 07. It took GlobalStar two months to admit a problem

2) They said: Don't worry, we're going to provide a map of time coverage. What they don't tell you is, even on the rare occassional you can get hooked up on a pass, you have maybe at most 2 minutes before you are disconnected.

3) They said "We will launch new satellites." However, 4 satellites (followed by 4 more) is completely inadequate. Both launches were also late. Finally, and worst of all, they don't tell you it takes another 6 months to calibrate a get the satellites in the proper orbit. So, essentially they lied about these meager 8 satellite's capabilities on many levels for almost a year after the problem started.

There are other satellite phone companies who are in the market, with new ones about to come on line. GlobalStar is not needed, nor should it be wanted, and it should be hammered with all legal options possible.
drpjfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 09:45   #10
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I hear you drpjdfits (love that handle!), but as the owner of a globalstar I like Bill hope they make it. As he points out, there are potentially significant advantages in terms of cost, data transfer rates and voice quality. What is more, I suspect that the loss of a competitor in this rather small market would only increase the price from the other service providers.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet, although like Ed, I'll be watching the developments carefully before I depart to South America next year.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 10:41   #11

I was on the seven seas forum the other day in which a couple of guys (one being in the BVI's) expressed that they thought the Globalstar system was operating much better than in October/November. I've still got my fingers crossed........Ed
Old 13-02-2008, 10:49   #12
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Glad to hear it Ed. My system is 'deactivated' at the moment and, depending upon what I hear this summer, I will either purchase another system or purchase another plan with Globalstar. An interesting thing for Canadians with Globalstar is that under our plans the Caribbean is an additional charge through roving, whereas if I am not mistaken, it is still included in the base area for plans purchased in the United States.

If I do purchase another plan, it will therefore be out of the United States and not Canada.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 11:05   #13

Brad, that's correct on no roaming long distance from the caribbean on the US plan. Right now at a flat $40/month unlimited voice and I believe data you can't beat it. In fact my cell service is considerably more...Ed
Old 13-02-2008, 11:17   #14
Eternal Member

drpjfitz,

Hey, don't hold back. Why don't you tell us what you REALLY mean? :-)

I can understand why you and others are upset with Globalstar and, as I've said before, there have been times over the past years when I've been ready to toss my phone over the side.

HOWEVER, you need to get with the program....things HAVE changed for the better. There are new satellites up AND configured/calibrated, many people are reporting better service, there's an excellent new UNLIMITED month-to-month service for $39.95 which doesn't require a contract or have a penalty fee, and a promise to keep loyal customers by DROPPING rates further in 2009 and 2010.

How can you go wrong? I've just signed up for the new service, and my phone works just fine.

No, it's not 100%. Yes, you have to be patient. No, you shouldn't depend on Globalstar as your PRIMARY emergency communications means.

If you can't accept this, go right ahead and fork out the big bucks for alternative satellite-based voice and data services.

Bill
Old 28-03-2008, 03:02   #15

Boat: R&C 46' power cat
Hey ED,
Let us know how globalstar works in aug.
I'll be needing a sat. phone in oct. and also would like to use globalstar if they have gotten better by then.

E.T.
Nauti Cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Globalstar