Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 06:01   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
GPS Pedestal Guard Mount... Platform or NavPod?

I'm halfway through the installation of my new Zeus2 9" chartplotter on my Pilothouse Helm console. Luckily I haven't cut any holes yet because yesterday it dawned on me that this unit really should be out in the cockpit. The iPad that i will use as a duplicate control can live in the pilothouse where it's easier to keep dry and charged, instead of vice versa.

So I'm working on my plan for a basic Edson pedestal mount for the Zeus2 9" (only the one unit). I've found MaineSail's description of making a starboard platform and it could definitely work for me. I've also read the installation information on NavPod's website. I'm hoping you all have some experiences to share.

1) If you made the choice between platform and NavPod, what did you choose and why? The NavPod setup will be a bit more expensive while the platform looks like a bit more labor. The NavPod is a bit bulkier since it would require an angled guard but it is also more sleek and protected.

2) I will need a taller stainless steel pedestal guard to clear the compass, and I'm considering a bigger diameter as well. Did anyone upgrade to a larger diameter guard? I'm tempted to go for the 1.25" for a more robust feel. It seems worth the extra hundred or so in parts but maybe not if the installation becomes more problematic. Doing this would tip me toward the NavPod setup over the platform. My main concern is the feet. Did you need to drill new holes in the deck for larger diameter feet?

I know that drilling the hole is going to be a bear. Any other unforeseen complications with this job? Any experiences or photos are greatly appreciated!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 05:39   #2

Boat: DownEaster 38
Re: GPS Pedestal Guard Mount... Platform or NavPod?

No experience but am going through the same decision with a Zeus2 7 (same size overall as the 9, I believe). Not sure what the MaineSail platform is, but the NavPod at the helm is ideal but more work and more expensive. I called NavPod and spoke to Rob who was very helpful, but then he is selling the stuff. Their Angle guards are only 1 1/4 inch and you'll need a new guide as well. He quoted me $800 in parts. Drilling won't be easy. So, I am going to start with the MFD at the chart table and keep my iPod as dry as possible. If that does not work for me I'll switch. Good luck.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:00   #3

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

I used a 'mainsail' starboard platform [its good to support him]. I purchased a taller guard from defender. Much easier to stay with original dia guard and it's strong enough. Changing guard size would mean changing all fittings to suit.Guard feet are bolted through floor,tube ends at feet.Be careful with the alloy fitting under the compass if you stay with 1'' tube as 'I think' they are no longer sold by edson.A platform gives you the option to change things more easily if required.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcd625 View Post
Not sure what the MaineSail platform is
Sorry I should have posted the link earlier: Chart Plotter Mount for Edson Pedestals

I like the idea of a larger diameter guard with NavPod setup, but I agree that it is a lot of money in parts and probably not worth the trouble of modifying the feet and drilling new holes through the deck. I'm either going with a taller angle guard and basic NavPod or a taller straight guard with platform. Either one would give me the right viewing angle.
Old 21-12-2016, 06:33   #5

Boat: Beneteau First 42

What is the "Compass Safe" distance for that plotter? Close proximity to the Compass is definitely a problem for some units, particularly the Garmin units that rely on magnetic closers on the chip slot covers.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 06:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
What is the "Compass Safe" distance for that plotter? Close proximity to the Compass is definitely a problem for some units, particularly the Garmin units that rely on magnetic closers on the chip slot covers.
Good question, I will give a call to B&G at some point and post here when I find out.
Old 21-12-2016, 07:04   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Garmin recommends 3 Ft. Separation for their newer line of plotter (using perm. Magnet to hold chip door closed.
For the older ones (/w friction clutch) they recommended 1 Ft. Separation.
However, there is a simple test. Place your plotter where you want it, and turn it on and off. If the compass moves as a result, don't mount it there. To be more thorough, try it with the boat on different headings.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:11   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Garmin recommends 3 Ft. Separation for their newer line of plotter (using perm. Magnet to hold chip door closed.
For the older ones (/w friction clutch) they recommended 1 Ft. Separation.
However, there is a simple test. Place your plotter where you want it, and turn it on and off. If the compass moves as a result, don't mount it there. To be more thorough, try it with the boat on different headings.
Gordo--That is exactly what I did with our Garmin 3205 using a 12v battery as a power supply. The 3205 was an older model at the time we installed it but the later models all effected the compass and were not suitable for us.

Our friend Hud who posts hereabouts from time-to-time had an interesting arrangement on his IP38, Belle of Virginia, before he sold her. His system was mounted to his starboard combing on a swing-arm which put it close at hand from the wheel but away from the compass. Not a bad solution.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2016, 17:04   #9

Unhappy Re: GPS Pedestal Guard Mount... Platform or NavPod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Sorry I should have posted the link earlier: Chart Plotter Mount for Edson Pedestals

I like the idea of a larger diameter guard with NavPod setup, but I agree that it is a lot of money in parts and probably not worth the trouble of modifying the feet and drilling new holes through the deck. I'm either going with a taller angle guard and basic NavPod or a taller straight guard with platform. Either one would give me the right viewing angle.
OK. Now I get what the "platform" is. Nice work. Aren't you worried about water getting into the connections on the back of the MFD? I think that an open box would be best. Adding two sides, a top and back, leaving just the front open would be quite ideal.
Also I am curious how you run all the wires. In my Zeus2 I will have three: Ethernet for radar, NM2K for the network, and power. Adding the sides and top would not be a big deal. Only issue then would be keeping it looking nice if the wood is varnished.
Old 23-12-2016, 19:22   #10

Quote:
OK. Now I get what the "platform" is. Nice work. Aren't you worried about water getting into the connections on the back of the MFD? I think that an open box would be best. Adding two sides, a top and back, leaving just the front open would be quite ideal.
Also I am curious how you run all the wires. In my Zeus2 I will have three: Ethernet for radar, NM2K for the network, and power. Adding the sides and top would not be a big deal. Only issue then would be keeping it looking nice if the wood is varnished.
Well I haven't done anything yet so these are all questions I'm going to need to work out. I will have the same 3 cables but I don't think it will be too hard fitting them in the 1" tube. Then again, one of the reasons NavPod recommends upgrading to 1.25" seems to be the ease of running wires, so we'll see how difficult it ends up being.

As for the waterproofing, I think any MFD is plenty water proof. Add a little dielectric grease to the connections and maybe some self sealing tape and I can't imagine you would have a problem. A varnished box sounds nice but I can't quite picture what you mean.
Old 23-12-2016, 19:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well I haven't done anything yet so these are all questions I'm going to need to work out. I will have the same 3 cables but I don't think it will be too hard fitting them in the 1" tube. Then again, one of the reasons NavPod recommends upgrading to 1.25" seems to be the ease of running wires, so we'll see how difficult it ends up being.

As for the waterproofing, I think any MFD is plenty water proof. Add a little dielectric grease to the connections and maybe some self sealing tape and I can't imagine you would have a problem. A varnished box sounds nice but I can't quite picture what you mean.
"My" box would be like a flower box turned 90 degrees so the open side is facing aft.
So you drill a hole in one of the tubes and run the cables down and through the sole of the cockpit? Why not drill into the pedestal itself and avoid any holes in the cockpit floor? Sorry if I'm a bit dim with these things!
Old 23-12-2016, 19:46   #12

Quote:
"My" box would be like a flower box turned 90 degrees so the open side is facing aft.
So you drill a hole in one of the tubes and run the cables down and through the sole of the cockpit? Why not drill into the pedestal itself and avoid any holes in the cockpit floor? Sorry if I'm a bit dim with these things!
Well both the NavPod and MaineSail's platform require drilling a hole in the pedestal guard (the SS tubing) and running the wires through cockpit floor by way of the tubing. (See the pics, he uses a white hose to route the wires from the platform to a hole on the SS tubing. The Navpod hides the hole but it has to be in there somewhere.

My existing guard, even though it is too short for this project, still has a string coming out of the tubing below the cockpit presumably for the purpose of fishing wires through. If I use tubing of the same diameter to replace the guard, then running the wires should be quite easy, but I'm not sure if you have the same configuration.

I think one advantage of the platform is that you can adjust the bracket to get the perfect viewing angle, whereas the NavPod viewing angle would be determined by the angle of the guard, either totally vertical or swept back like the pic.

The NavPod keeps the plotter dry on the back but I don't think that is essential. Your wooden box would protect the wires from being seen or being accidentally yanked, but that's about it... unless I still don't understand.

The NavPod website is also quite informative on installation details: NavPod sailboat installation tips
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navpod.gif
Views:	156
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	138432   Click image for larger version

Name:	platform.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	138433  

Tags