Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05   #1

Boat: Irwin 325cc, "Second Wind"
GPS Repair ?

Well, the sonar image on my chartplotter has malfunctioned and the manufacturer no longer supports or will repair this unit. (IMHO, products of this nature and cost should have better long term support, I do not consider them "disposable", but that is for another thread) I know the problem lies within the head unit itself and not the T-ducer or sounder (New transducer, alternate sounder box tried with same issue, problem does not occur with alternate head unit) and replacement is not an option at this time. The unit in question is a Garmin 2010c/GSD-21/Airmar BV744v and what I'm getting is horizontal green bands about 3/8" tall across the screen with the sonar image embedded within the middle band. (Try reading that image!) Garmin Support suggested a system reset, which of course wipes out all saved data within the unit, with no guarantee of success. Do any of the more electronically gifted members have an ideas? Are there any repair person/facilities outside the manufacturers for this type of equipment? If so, any recommendations? Thanx to all!
Mi2ndWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Back up your 2010C NOW! Then run the reset.

If you still have a good screen in chartplotter mode, it should do the trick.

There aren't any after-market GPS repair folk because most repairs are at board level, beyond rocket science. Repairs are made by swapping boards, and yours has been out of production for almost a decade. Garmin wasn't trying to just sell you a new GPS; they are out of parts for your unit, and a few that came after it!

Do you need help getting a backup?
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:02   #3

Thanks Sandy! Any help backing up the unit would be very appreciated. My plan was to make a hand written list of all way point lat/long, then manually re-enter them after reset. Is there a better way, like maybe an adapter of some sort that plugs into the card slot to allow USB interface with some sort of external storage?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:27   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
That sucks. I have the same system which is still working fine.(crossed fingers) I bought mine new 3 years ago. So much for product support. If you have a card reader which may be still available you can use Mapsource to download your info which is kept on the data card, to your computer and save it as a file. I use a card reader to add routes and stuff to my Garmin. I use a laptop with the Mapsource software.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
These units are a drag on the market. You can pick up a used one for under $500 which would probably be cheaper than the cost to have yours repaired. Keep your eyes out on Craigs List or Ebay.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 13:26   #6

Boat: krogan 38
Garmin has a flat rate repair for almost all the equipment they sell . I have More units than I want to admit and have had many units sent back to them for repair. They never even question how it happened.
If it is an older unit like yours they will replace with the closest current version. As for the data save what you can before sending .
I Have always been happy with their tech help and replacements . I have had other equipment manufactures tell me too bad when equipment went bad - It's simple I will never buy another of their product.
bathharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 14:37   #7

Thanx everyone, some great tips there! I'll definitely research the mapsource option further. Just outta curiosity, is there a software out there that allows NMEA 183 port to communicate with a laptop USB? As far as the flat rate repair, Garmin no longer offers any service for this model, period. However they do still offer support for the 3010c, which is basically the same unit with the addition of subscription satellite wx and radar networking capability. I have the option of purchasing one of these from a friend, but the seal is bad and the screen fogs up on the inside during use. Garmin wants $390 to fix that. Not. This is actually the second time I've had issue with "G" support, or lack thereof, and if I can't resolve the issue, the eventual replacement will not be the same brand. But hopefully the reset works and that does not become necessary too soon.
Old 05-02-2011, 15:02   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi2ndWind View Post
Just outta curiosity, is there a software out there that allows NMEA 183 port to communicate with a laptop USB?

You will need a "RS232 to USB" adapter. It should come with a software driver.

Tags
gps