Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 20:29   #1

Boat: SportsCraft 226
GPS Wrong Date and Time

I have a FURUNO GP-1650 Color GPS Plotter that is working fine. But the date and time are wrong. The date shows as FEB 27 2000 time is 07:48:03AM. When I first boat the boat the date was SEP 18 1999 the time does increment. I looked at the User's Manual but there are no date or time settings, besides I believe the date and time should be received from the satellites. I used the user's manual to run all the self tests for the unit and all passed. I also have Auto Pilot on the boat, but the GPS does not seem to connect to the Auto Pilot.

Any pointers to what the issue may be or if there is a way to set the date and time is much appreciated.
Burkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 20:50   #2

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: GPS Wrong Date and Time

This was caused by "GPS rollover" (Google it for more info) which occurred not too long ago. You would need to see if you can get and install a software update for your plotter that, hopefully, will fix the issue.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 21:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yep Furuno advised that the 1650 was one of their older models (the 1650 must be getting on for 20 year old by now) that would fall over in March/April this year when the "1024 week rollover" occurred.

See https://www.furuno.co.jp/en/news/not...53&dispmid=965

Especially:

"If you wish to restore the date information, you will need to replace the GPS receiver within the equipment for value. Also, please note that the above list of equipment includes some models whose maintenance service provision period has been expired."

IOW - it's toast
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 22:58   #4

I had same problem with my Lowrance chart plotter. As noted above, is caused by global satelite week count rollover issue. Contacted Lowrance and they referred me to a software update which I downloaded and installed. This fixed the problem. Contact Foruno and see what they say.

Also, the GPS worked fine after the rollover date, even when the time and date weren't correct. You can't use the tide or current info on the plotter, but the gps positioning works fine. Good luck.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2019, 04:10   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkan View Post
I have a FURUNO GP-1650 Color GPS Plotter that is working fine. But the date and time are wrong. The date shows as FEB 27 2000 time is 07:48:03AM. When I first boat the boat the date was SEP 18 1999 the time does increment. I looked at the User's Manual but there are no date or time settings, besides I believe the date and time should be received from the satellites. I used the user's manual to run all the self tests for the unit and all passed. I also have Auto Pilot on the boat, but the GPS does not seem to connect to the Auto Pilot.

Any pointers to what the issue may be or if there is a way to set the date and time is much appreciated.

There have been several threads on the GPS rollover issue.

As I understand it, the GPS locational data should be accurate even if the date/time is incorrect (for the older Furuno GP-36 unit I had, different model from yours).

Can't tell if the date/time issue issue has anything to do with AP connectivity; wouldn't think so...

But Furuno tech support is excellent, and can advise you how to proceed.

-Chris
Old 15-10-2019, 19:23   #6

Boat: SportsCraft 226

Thank you all for your valuable input. I contacted Furuno and waiting for their response, if I do not hear back soon I will call. Hopefully they have a solution for this week number rollover issue.
Burkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2019, 01:38   #7

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

I had the same issue caused by the week rollover problem on a Garmin GPS head I had attached to my predominantly Raymarine instrumentation setup, including a Standard Horizon GX2100 COMMS with AIS and DSG. According to Garmin, although the position will not be affected for all the normal functions, the DSG function on the radio will not give out the correct position if activated. Because I don't have a Garmin chart plotter, I could not update the GPS head, so removed it and Garmin updated it for me for free, which was very kind of them.
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps