Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 09:06   #136

Boat: too many
Re: Ham License

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I've had many radios and built myself many more than that. In the end, besides the Icom marine radios that many also have, these are my final choice:

1. Kenwood TS480-HX. I added the voice module.
a. SGC SG230 Smart tuner.
b. long wire antenna (hoist with halyard)

2. Kenwood TM-D710 dual band.
a. Green Light Labs GPS module
b. Mobile dual band 2m/70cm
(has internal TNC)

3. Kenwood TH-D72 dual band handheld (2x)
(these handhelds have internal GPS and TNC)

I have slightly modified the dual banders to expand their TX to their tech limits :whistle:

With these you can do amazing things. Example: I can take a handheld (VHF & UHF) out with the dingy and sit on a deserted beach and then decide to tune in to the HF (!!) cruisers net. I put it in SkyCommand mode which initiates contact with the D710 aboard. The 710 is wired to the TS480. Duplex communications are established using both 2m and 70cm bands while the TNC uses packet mode for a digital link which allows me to enter the HF frequency to set theTS480 to etc. I can not just listen, but also talk on the SSB net. This is actually allowed when the cruisers net is on a HAM band...

Or.. I want to use a handheld marine VHF but have enormous range. I put the D710 in cross-band repeater mode (UHF with the handheld and VHF on the marine band) and my handheld on the chosen UHF frequency. I normally add some DCS for locking out other pirates from using the repeater, and now my little handheld is on the VHF with a masthead antenna and 50+ Watts. Not that I would do this of-course as it is not allowed.

The possibilities are endless and this gear is top notch... the price reflects that unfortunately, but it's a steal compared to marine grade gear.
Our gear's capabilities over what I started with as a kid is mind numbing. My first HF transmitter was tube, 60 watts, crystal controlled, AM and CW only. Now days your UHF handheld can link into the mountain top big gun HF station and your off to the races. No more real estate commitment to 120' towers, or living on the mountain top. Work DX on the first call while lying poolside with an HT that fits in your pocket.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:21   #137
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Some US pointers for emergency traffic... in case anybody wants to volunteer and help out when help is needed:

Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amateur Radio Emergency Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Many other countries have ARES like organizations.

Don't underestimate this: post Katrina more than a thousand HAMs showed up to provide communication networks.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:00   #138
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"I find this a typical response from a member who doesn't have something"
On the contrary, I have used APRS. I have spoken with Bob over the years and he has objected quite openly about the way folks are using APRS as a tracking system instead of what he intended. What you find, is only that you've made blind assumptions.
I know what ham radio did and didn't do after the WTC and Katrina, and in neither situation did APRS "keep responders going" in any large or critical way. After the WTC most of the ham response came through the local ARES, which didn't and doesn't use APRS for normal emergency operations. After Katrina, the "heroes" of communications set up wifi bubbles and got connectred outside by satcoms.
Maybe someone used APRS locally for small tactical tasks, but the use has been incidental and generally unimportant. You'd find the ARRL and ARRL/ARES say the same thing. Neither writes APRS into any of the emcomm plans.
Nor have I heard of any RACES organizations that call for it, or rely on it, in any way.

In a few areas, I've heard of local ARES groups discussing putting trackers on fire trucks and ambulances, or sweep vehicles at marathons and other events. Emphasis on a few and even that comes and goes. And that's the tracking-only function that Bob has had words about.

So instead of assuming who has or hasn't anything, why don't you back up your statement and tell me just how APRS "kept emergency services going" after the WTC and Katrina? What services, what operations, what duration? And why that all missed the news? Or did I miss a blurb in QST that said otherwise?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:12   #139
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"I find this a typical response from a member who doesn't have something"
On the contrary, I have used APRS. I have spoken with Bob over the years and he has objected quite openly about the way folks are using APRS as a tracking system instead of what he intended. What you find, is only that you've made blind assumptions.
I know what ham radio did and didn't do after the WTC and Katrina, and in neither situation did APRS "keep responders going" in any large or critical way. After the WTC most of the ham response came through the local ARES, which didn't and doesn't use APRS for normal emergency operations. After Katrina, the "heroes" of communications set up wifi bubbles and got connectred outside by satcoms.
Maybe someone used APRS locally for small tactical tasks, but the use has been incidental and generally unimportant. You'd find the ARRL and ARRL/ARES say the same thing. Neither writes APRS into any of the emcomm plans.
Nor have I heard of any RACES organizations that call for it, or rely on it, in any way.

In a few areas, I've heard of local ARES groups discussing putting trackers on fire trucks and ambulances, or sweep vehicles at marathons and other events. Emphasis on a few and even that comes and goes. And that's the tracking-only function that Bob has had words about.

So instead of assuming who has or hasn't anything, why don't you back up your statement and tell me just how APRS "kept emergency services going" after the WTC and Katrina? What services, what operations, what duration? And why that all missed the news? Or did I miss a blurb in QST that said otherwise?
Why would I bother... I've had enough of it. Go on to fight the evil APRS, whatever you like, it's just the Internet.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license