Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2020, 09:51   #16

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: HAM License instead of Restricted Radio Operators License?

I was asked for my FCC Ship station license when entering Antigua. They did not ask for my operators license. see...

https://www.fcc.gov/obtaining-license
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:11   #17

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Getting a ham license sufficient for HF operation requires both the techician and the general license tests. That's a lot of work.

K4TKL

That only applies to the amateur radio bands, not marine HF frequencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
well, there is no morse code requirement anymore, so getting a ham license should be piece of cake for most people...get a study booklet and have at it....or join your local ham club and they will guide you in the right direction..

For some people yes, others have difficulty learning for the test. As a VE I see many who just can't comprehend the technical knowledge and can't memorize the question pool. The study guides for each class of license are books, not booklets.

People who have no technical background have difficulty calculating simple things like power or using Ohm's law let alone complex impedance which is on the extra exam. The technician class license is pretty easy but the general class is the minimum needed for useful long distance communications and reciprocity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
I could be wrong but I think there are a few countries that only recognize the US Extra Class License or the US Advanced Class License. Like I said, I could be mistaken.

The CEPT countries - European Union requires a Extra class license for reciprocity. This varies from country to country.

I have been to 62 countries and have never been asked to produce my amateur radio license. The only time I have been asked to produce my ship station license was during USCG boarding. Many customs forms have asked for my my ship's call sign.

Brian, N7BMW
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:14   #18

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
The reference copy says reference copy right on it.
I have never seen "reference copy" before. That is why I was asking. Thanks
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:33   #19

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

For many years there has been total confusion about amateur radio reciprocal licensing in Mexico. They had re-organized, eliminated all the old regulations and did not replace them with anything regarding ham radio. Even Mexican citizens have not been able to get official government sanction for new licenses.

The following is the latest information I have been able to find:

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Reciprocal%20operating%20forms/Feb%202020%20International%20Operating.pdf

Two excerpts from that document apply to US hams wishing to operate legally in Mexico. The two quotes conflict with each other - illustrating the existing confusion:

"International Amateur Radio Permit (IARP) allows US Amateurs traveling to certain Central or South American countries (listed below) to operate if the hold an IARP permit, which in the US may be obtained through the ARRL VEC.Countries that participate with the United States: Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada1, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Mexico, Panama,Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay and Venezuela."

And:
10 – There have been significant changes in Mexico’s telecommunications structure. At this time, there are no procedures in place for US licensees (or those from other nations) to obtain a valid license in Mexico or to operate under a reciprocal agreement."

What I observed while in Mexico, was stations simply using their US calls on the nets. I have not heard of any problems with authorities. Do not transmit anywhere near major industrial ports or especially Naval installations.
Old 20-11-2020, 13:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Have not taken the Extra Ham License test but the General License is relatively easy to study for and pass. I use online question tests to study. Spent a day taking the practice tests then took the exam. Must have done well as the examiner seemed surprised that i didn't want to take Extra test. It does take a few hours study but something that should not intimidate anyone thinking of getting a General Ham License.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 13:46   #21

Boat: Catalina 34

Thanks all for your responses. USSVDharma's answer seemed most authoritative:

"Both Ham and restricted are needed by cruisers. Your ham license does not authorize you to use ship's radio on marine channels. Plus your vhf while not required in USA, many foreign countries do require restricted..."

It makes sense when I consider the amateur license is for certain bands and the restricted radio operators license is for other bands. I did include all equipment on the application so I'm covered.

I've sent an inquiry to the FCC just to be sure (everything I read on the internet may not be true after all!) and will post if the answer is something else.
Donnybrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:02   #22

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
For some people yes, others have difficulty learning for the test. As a VE I see many who just can't comprehend the technical knowledge and can't memorize the question pool. The study guides for each class of license are books, not booklets.
Years ago I grabbed one of those study books so I can see how it would be off-putting, particularly if someone tries to actually memorize the question pool.

When I finally did decide to go for a license I ran across Dan (KB6NU)'s study guides which made the material far more accessible. The actual content portion of them is about 40-50 pages each and if someone's sharp they should be able to read them and pass the tests within no more than a few hours.

----

As to the original vs reference copies, my recollection is that anyone can download the reference copy from FCC's ULS, but only when you're logged in are you able to download an "original".
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 18:22   #23

Boat: Contessa 32

Some countries don’t allow US hams to operate in their country without prior permission and some used to issue a license from their country recognizing the US license requirements. These are usually short term licenses of maybe a few years or less.

Some have reciprocal agreements but I think it would be wise to check first.
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 06:20   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Getting a ham license sufficient for HF operation requires both the techician and the general license tests. That's a lot of work.

K4TKL
And if you go into the waters of a CEPT country, you will need an Extra Class license. That is a, LOT of work!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 06:59   #25

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

In regard to what other COMMERCIAL FCC operator's license would be able to substitute for the RESTRICTED RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT (not a "license"), I believe the hierarchy would be as follows:

RESTRICTED RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT
RESTRICTED RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT--LIMITED USE
MARINE RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT
GENERAL RADIO OPERATOR LICENSE (GROL)
GMDSS RADIO OPERATOR'S LICENSE

My basis for this belief is from the FCC at

https://www.fcc.gov/wireless/bureau-...m/commercial-0

Whether or not a regulating authority in some random foreign country would agree with the premise above is difficult to know with any certainty.

There is no evidence that I am aware of that asserts that an AMATEUR license can substitute for a COMMERCIAL permit or license in the MARITIME RADIO service.

In my own case, I hold a GENERAL RADIO OPERATOR LICENSE, and I carry a Reference Copy aboard my boat. I am a citizen of the USA, and I have boated in Canada for about 25 years. In Canada (or in the USA) I have never been asked by any authority for any form of license, either ship station license or operator license. (And I do have an FCC issued ship station license, too.)

I also hold an AMATEUR EXTRA CLASS operator's license (K8SS).
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 09:15   #26

Boat: Lancer 27PS

All those permits and licenses you listed may be associated with vessel size and/or passenger carrying capabilities. Not sure, but seems like a lot or permits just for an ocean bearing sailboat.
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 09:12   #27

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
All those permits and licenses you listed may be associated with vessel size and/or passenger carrying capabilities. Not sure, but seems like a lot or permits just for an ocean bearing sailboat.
I don't understand how you could infer that my post suggested that ALL of the several classes of operator's licenses were needed. I never made that statement. The privilege to operate a VHF Marine Band radio on your own boat that is conferred by the lowest class license, RESTRICTED RADIO OPERATOR PERMIT, is also conferred by any of the other licenses listed.
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 08:23   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnybrook View Post
Do I still need a restricted radio operators license if I have an amateur radio (HAM) license when sailing to a foreign port?

I recently applied for a ship's station license and learned I need the restricted operators license to be legal. If the HAM license applies I'll get that instead.
Most probably, almost certainly, yes. But you need to check on each country's laws individually for an absolute yes/no answer. However I have never heard of any country allowing an operator to transmit on marine frequencies under authority of a US issued Amateur License.

The MROP is simply too easy to get, for you to not get it. A minimum of paperwork (well, minimum considering it is FCC and they love complicated stuff) and no test. You ARE RESPONSIBLE for following applicable laws and regulations, though, so you will want to do some study. Let me repeat this... YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE for all of your radio emissions, intentional or otherwise. Of course you already know this if you have a HAM license already.

Again, check with each country you will visit to know what you can and cannot legally do or what equipment you can legally have onboard with the license(s) that you hold.
Old 30-11-2020, 10:16   #29

Boat: challenger 32,

There are some l o n g answers to your question....but the short of it is:
1....get the restricted radiotephone license, no test, just mail of for it and

it is go for a lifetime....allows you to operate the marine radios legally.

2. Ham radio..not necessary buit DARNED handy when cruising getting

weather, talking to other cruisers, not being so darned lonely out at
sea, and the seafarers net takes down your position, weather, etc and
keeps track of you.

3 . Ham radio...Novice license=easy but almost usless
Tech license=still pretty easy, no code...alows you to

operate some small areas of High frequency, but mainly
VHF and UHF (repeaters?)

4. Ham radio....General or above....requires study of an easily obtainable
set of questions, answeers, and why that is the answer.
You can operate most ham radio frequencies and nets.

5. Ham Radio...Extra class...allows you to operate on ANY ham frequency
for sure requires some technical knowledge or study again
of an easily obtainable book with questions, answers, and
theory behind those questions.

6. Ships Radio License......a MUST, and be sure to check all the boxes on
trhe application form 605...heck you might just have radar
etc. some day.

Hope that helps de W7KFI extra class on air steady since 1952. and
curised pacific for 19 years solo.
ussvdharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 11:57   #30
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

No mainstream country allows operation on channelised marine bands with a amateur radio licence

Dave
EI-2GMB

Tags
license, radio