Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2010, 07:58   #136

Boat: Cape Dory
USED TUNERS & MODEMS

Hi -
Any thoughts on used tuners and / or pactor modems? ARe these items which make sense to purchase used? Are they generally "good as new" until they break? Any issues which deserve particular attention when looking at a used tuner or modem?
Thanks.
-M
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:40   #137
Eternal Member

Used tuners can be OK, or they can be problematic. Beware of any which is not fully tested and in 100% working order. The standard flat price to fix a SG-230 modem is $250; you don't want to get one which isn't working, unless it's practically given to you. Others can be very difficult to get repaired. I have a non-working one in that category right now. It's damnably hard to find anyone who does board-level repairs on older tuners these days.

Used modems are more generally OK but, again, they can be damaged by, e.g., lightning, excessively high voltages onboard, etc. Be sure to get one which has been tested.

So....if in doubt and you can't find a working tuner or modem from someone you trust, better to buy new and get the warranty.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:15   #138

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Well this thread has wandered a bit. Safe to say I am somewhat out of the weeds. We have so far been successful in getting on the nets down here in Baja and have been able to receive weather faxes. Our icom 706MKIIG has become more of a friend than a foe.

My one problem that still remains is that it is a grueling process to input preset memory channels. I am wondering if I can plug my computer in and input the frequencies and station names by hand. Has anyone had any experience with this?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 19:19   #139

Boat: S&S Hughes 38
I now believe it to be a low voltage issue when transmitting on SSB ,Autopilot shuts down and goes into reset mode due to power drop.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:09   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbusted67 View Post
Well this thread has wandered a bit. Safe to say I am somewhat out of the weeds. We have so far been successful in getting on the nets down here in Baja and have been able to receive weather faxes. Our icom 706MKIIG has become more of a friend than a foe.

My one problem that still remains is that it is a grueling process to input preset memory channels. I am wondering if I can plug my computer in and input the frequencies and station names by hand. Has anyone had any experience with this?

There is software available for the 706, for programming and control. Try a search on Icom 706 software.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:43   #141

Boat: Boreal 52
If materials 73 or 31 are best for keeping RF from my radio OUT of other devices such as stereo, what would be the best for keeping RF generated by solar controller or inverter out of the HF radios??? Same 73 or 31 ferrites?

thanks
Adam
sv Bravo
Seattle
svbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 11:08   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by svbravo View Post
If materials 73 or 31 are best for keeping RF from my radio OUT of other devices such as stereo, what would be the best for keeping RF generated by solar controller or inverter out of the HF radios??? Same 73 or 31 ferrites?

thanks

Adam
sv Bravo
Seattle

Yes. The differences are nearly theoretical...
Old 03-08-2010, 14:15   #143

Boat: Mason 53
G'day, mates. For all those that have the Icom 706, it can also be used as standard VHF. It comes with a separate 2 meter / 144 cm (these are frequency ranges, not antenna lengths) antenna connection. The VHF frequencies are very close to the 2 meter ones. You can even deliver 50 watts of power to the antenna, but strictly speaking, the legal limit is 25 watts. I use it all the time. It just takes a little time to program in the specific frequencies you want.

This radio has tremendous functionality and it size makes even more so. I have brought it with me on the big bird back to the States, put it in a motor home with an outbacker antenna and sent emails, using a pactor modem, from the back woods of Michigan, then brought it back to the boat. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 02:57   #144

Re: Ham / SSB Hell !

I'm a ham. For one thing, you have to have the necessary safety equipment that the law requires you to have. That means a radio that the goverment people encharged with the inspecting of your vessle know, and have listed in their books as acceptable.

No, there is not an "adaptor" for adding marine VHF to a ham radio, and NO, ham 144mhz, or 2 meters, is not marine band VHF and the antennas are not interchangable either. No, 2 way radio manufacturers do not invest money into designing radios that are illegal for use. No, I really don't have any interest in tying up your channels with my chatter, I have over 5 million different channels to make a total mess of and I wont get to yours until the end of next week.

If you guys would like to listen to the ham radio chat, you'll find that we have so many different channels and modes that what the law actually does is provide us with a convient raod map which we use to find each other.

Personally, I prefer to drive one of those old fuel injected, dual exaust, classic corvettes, and quite hopped up from there, which also never had any of those new fangled catalytic converters installed on it. And yes, it has the rag top and two tone leather, but no AC. I keep it installed in my living room, some day the matress tag police might come to take a look, just to see if I really am the horribly dangerious driver that they heard of, at which point they will find that my matress tags are factory fresh. They arent liscened to police my safety equipment other than the factory installed speedometer, hence I've never invested into any more than that one.

Worry about driving the boat, captain.
joenikk is offline   Reply With Quote