Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2021, 07:02   #46

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Handheld VHF radio that uses alkaline batteries?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genec View Post
My goal is to NOT use rechargeable batteries... at least in the second battery tray. I want something that doesn't require an outside power source... thus for a ditch bag or for use on the tender.

A fact to consider is that Eneloop (and other very high quality NiMh cells) will hold a charge longer than alkaline batteries. I use the lithium pack that came with the HX380 for routine things and keep a battery tray loaded with Eneloops in my emergency kit.

Quote:

I chose the Standard Horizon as that seemed to be the least cluttered handheld, from an operations standpoint, and the "loud" aspect seemed perfect for situations where I am running an engine... either aux or outboard. A couple of the other radios I researched had reviews that mentioned "too quiet."

I'll know by this weekend.

I find it to be uncluttered and to be sufficiently loud.

Tags
hf radio, radio, vhf