Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2021, 01:56   #1

Boat: Amel 50
Handheld VHF with USB-C charging

I'm trying to standardise on USB-C charging for all my small electronics. Does anyone know of a good handheld VHF radio that charges via USB-C?
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 05:42   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Handheld VHF with USB-C charging

Now that's odd. My satelitte telephone and my satellite text messenger both charge on USB-C, but my handheld VHFs charge on 12v DC or 120v AC. Historically they come from different technologies and I don't think that the two traditions talk to each other.
Old 15-09-2021, 06:01   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

If I were to go out and buy all new equipment every time the USB charging standard changed, I wouldn't have enough money left over to maintain the boat!

It's a problem, I agree. I probably have at least one of just about every USB, 12V and 120V charging option there is. I just bought a new laptop which supports the new USB "PD" standard. I guess "C" is becoming obsolete already.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 06:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by acunningham View Post
I'm trying to standardise on USB-C charging for all my small electronics. Does anyone know of a good handheld VHF radio that charges via USB-C?
I've currently got 6 USB jacks in our small boat, so I'm onside with regards to its usefulness But 12v DC is pretty common on boats too, I'm told , and our handheld charges from that.

You could try a DC-DC converter to step up the 5v from USB to the required charging voltage for your preferred handheld. I've successfully used one to step up USB 5 v to about 16v DC for some audio gear.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:29   #5

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
The Standard Horizon HX300 is USB charge compatible. I don’t know about the many USB standards, it just says USB chargeable. I have one and it works great. It floats and has a flashing light if it gets wet so you can find it if you drop it overboard in the dark.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:44   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
The Standard Horizon HX300 is USB charge compatible. I don’t know about the many USB standards, it just says USB chargeable. I have one and it works great. It floats and has a flashing light if it gets wet so you can find it if you drop it overboard in the dark.

Al, S/V Finlandia

Unfortunately it appears to be MiniUSB, which is now completely obsolete and used by almost no other devices except some electric toothbrushes.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I just bought a new laptop which supports the new USB "PD" standard. I guess "C" is becoming obsolete already.

USB PD uses the USB-C connector, and is fully compatible with it. USB-C is the latest connector, and likely to be so for some time.
Old 15-09-2021, 09:50   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
You could try a DC-DC converter to step up the 5v from USB to the required charging voltage for your preferred handheld. I've successfully used one to step up USB 5 v to about 16v DC for some audio gear.

That should work, but doesn't really provide any advantages over charging the radio using a proprietary charger fed from the boat's main 24V supply. The object of the exercise is to standardise on USB-C for all my small electronics so that I don't have a rat's nest of chargers and cables.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:00   #9

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Unfortunately it appears to be MiniUSB, which is now completely obsolete and used by almost no other devices except some electric toothbrushes.
Mine uses the standard USB connector, the same as the charge end on my iPhone and unless they have changed it, this is what the Standard Horizon radio uses. I see on Amazon that there are adapters that will work to adapt just about any USB connector to any other.

Al, S/V Finlandia
svfinlandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 10:11   #10

Quote:
That should work, but doesn't really provide any advantages over charging the radio using a proprietary charger fed from the boat's main 24V supply. The object of the exercise is to standardise on USB-C for all my small electronics so that I don't have a rat's nest of chargers and cables.

I understand your goal... but in my experience most people mount their VHF handheld cradle/charger in a fixed location that's handy, so with wiring to a fixed location it no longer matters as much what the power source is. Just my 2 cents.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I understand your goal... but in my experience most people mount their VHF handheld cradle/charger in a fixed location that's handy, so with wiring to a fixed location it no longer matters as much what the power source is. Just my 2 cents.

That may well be what I end up doing.
Old 15-09-2021, 10:29   #12

Boat: UFO27 Holman & Pye 8.2m

This may be useful https://www.usb.org/usb-charger-pd
John
johnn33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 11:18   #13

Boat: Morgan 382

Maybe the dissenting opinion, but USB C/PD/SS/Thunderbolt cables and connectors suck. There simply is not enough contact area to support what with PD is now 240W. Add some humidity in a salt environment, and it is a significant fire hazard. I have replaced too many burned up cables to endorse them on a boat. I reluctantly have them, because that is what is available. For handheld radios, I use the kind that have a charge cradle, and charge from 12V.
Old 15-09-2021, 11:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
There simply is not enough contact area to support what with PD is now 240W.
That's a very good point. I would answer by saying that the majority of people's rechargable things seldom need more than 10W. And I would certainly aim to avoid any higher draws from USB jacks, just because of the bigger converters and wiring that would be required.

Quote:
Add some humidity in a salt environment, and it is a significant fire hazard.
Another good point. If our boat was in tidewater, I would wipe all USB cable ends with a good contact enhancer or dielectric grease.
Old 15-09-2021, 12:37   #15

Boat: Colegate 26

I think the best you're going to find these days is USB Micro. There are several of those available. Hopefully USB C VHF handhelds will come along in the next few years.

I agree, though, "USB C all the things!". It's a great connector standard. Good power delivery. Good data throughput.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, vhf