Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2022, 21:55   #1

help

Hi all can someone help i want to use a laptop in the middle of say the Atlantic or the pacific ocean what devices do i need to go on line???? any advise would be appreciated
Paul
paulysoanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 09:01   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: help

This is the classified section. Suggest you ask a moderator to move this to an appropriate section.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 09:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulysoanes View Post
Hi all can someone help i want to use a laptop in the middle of say the Atlantic or the pacific ocean what devices do i need to go on line???? any advise would be appreciated
Paul
I do not know about "online", but by using my ham radio (or a SSB) with a pactor modem, I was able to send and receive emails and download grib files for weather routing.
72harley1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 09:10   #4

You’ll need a lot of help. Start with forum operation.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.
two-rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 09:18   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: help

https://www.reviews.org/internet-ser...net-for-boats/

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 17:27   #6

What kind of speeds are you looking to have a n the middle of no where?

There are options these days for high speed Satellite internet, when in sight of those satellites. Very expensive option (+$1000/ month) and it requires some serious equipment to be permanently installed.

Starlink will be an option in the future, but not today.

Where are you cruising, how long would you be in the middle of the Atlantic? Unless you plan to live like water world person, you probably won’t be in the middle of the Atlantic for very long.
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 17:38   #7

Boatman has got the link there for VSAT. I don’t think the prices there reflect the usage cost or monthly cost. I think those are the prices for the equipment. Not sure, but it shows the high cost to get going either way.

I have not used that company for years but generally speaking you should expect holes in coverage.

Better to plan for coastal stuff if you NEED to stay connected.

Hotspot receiver in the vessel connected to an access point is a great option. Cell phone coverage is getting better at a much faster pace and 5G is extremely fast.
Old 31-03-2022, 18:47   #8

About 10 years ago I was part of the crew that moved a boat from StPete to Palm Beach. We did a good portion of the sail offshore or at least far enough not to have any cell service. We did not have any hard deadlines and just went with the wind most of the time.

One of the crew was a Verizon IT employee at the time and had a work issued puck which gave us pretty good internet coverage. In fact it was good enough for him to work (one of the requirements for him to do this trip) which work required pretty good speed and bandwidth.

This topic got me thinking - how much was that puck, the size of the cigarette pack or smaller? And whatever the connection cost was 10 years ago it must've come down considerably since then? Or am I wrong to think that and that was something only Verizon could easily afford back then and it is still as expensive?

I vaguely recall that it was satelite based and definitely not cell based.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 05:10   #9

A puck size device sounds like iridium go. Again, not something I’d expect to take a Zoom call from.

Iridium GO Unlimited Data and SMS

https://satellitephonestore.com/cata...SABEgIpFPD_BwE
Old 02-04-2022, 05:22   #10

Data speed is 2.4 Kbits/s. Set your expectations.

“What is the Iridium GO Data Speed? The data speed is 2.4 Kbits/s. This is the same data speed as all other Iridium & Inmarsat Satellite phone services. At this data speed, the Iridium GO! is best suited for email and downloading weather data with the PredictWind Offshore App.”
Old 03-04-2022, 09:31   #11

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
(snipped)
This topic got me thinking - how much was that puck, the size of the cigarette pack or smaller? And whatever the connection cost was 10 years ago it must've come down considerably since then? Or am I wrong to think that and that was something only Verizon could easily afford back then and it is still as expensive?

I vaguely recall that it was satelite based and definitely not cell based.
At that time, and for a device the size you describe, it definitely was NOT satellite based, and in fact must have been cellular.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:30   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
About 10 years ago I was part of the crew that moved a boat from StPete to Palm Beach. We did a good portion of the sail offshore or at least far enough not to have any cell service.

Saint Pete to West Palm is not what I would consider offshore. Even if you go all the way around Key West, which can typically be avoided, you’re talking about the first 2 days of the trip where you’d be forced so far from land that cell coverage would be lost.

The rest of the time you’d cruise the coastline.