Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2016, 11:03   #16

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Help with ssb choice

couldn't post photo, email me and I will send them direct. captndave1@mac.com
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 12:45   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBrasil View Post
Anybody using the ICom IC-M802?

M802 HF Marine Transceiver - Features - Icom America

Thanks,
Merlin
Probably the most popular HF transceiver among cruisers these days. Possibly even an absolute majority of installed sets.

It's a logical choice because:

1. Has DSC -- an extremely important capability, essential if you want to use the radio for distress comms, since SAR services no longer keep voice watches on HF.

2. Separate radio/control head for vastly easier installation.

3. Voice compression.

4. Made for digital modes, in terms of duty cycle, controls, inputs.

Only downside is cost, which is quite a bit more than other choices.

The M801E is a premium choice with sealed chassis, built in power supply, and other advantages over the M802, but $$$.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:09   #18

"The problem with the 710 for that use is that you can't 'spin the dial' and have to enter and save the frequencies you want to use via the keypad which gets pretty old pretty quick."

I know the 710 pretty well.

It is a great, very robust set that does the job very well.

The front panel is a little quirky. However there is a terrific support group on Yahoo, which is well worth joining. You will find all the information you need to "open" up the 710, if you need to, (which is straight forward) and a excellent PC utility which dispenses with all the dial spinning - assuming you have a windows based PC on board (or a MAC running Bootcamp or Parallels).

Importantly, it has the power as well. The only disadvantage I can think of, is that it is quite a bulky unit so you do need to think about where you are going to locate it, unlike the more recent models which seperate the "head from the box", but if you have the space this is a minor consideration.

Needless to say make sure you adequately cable the power supply as well, not forgetting that at full transmit power it draws a reasonable load (cant recall the numbers off the top of my head).

Hope that is some help.
Ip485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:13   #19

1. Has DSC -- an extremely important capability, essential if you want to use the radio for distress comms, since SAR services no longer keep voice watches on HF.

I agree with all your other points.

This point intrigued me. I agree in Europe there is no one left apparently monitoring HF - I think even Osted has gone. I dont entirely follow your point about DSC, is this with reference to transmitting on HF?
Old 18-12-2016, 13:34   #20

photos of 728/Users/davidmacy 1/Desktop/IMG_0502.jpg/Users/davidmacy 1/Desktop/IMG_0503.jpg
Old 18-12-2016, 13:35   #21

how the h*** do you post a photo on this site???
Old 18-12-2016, 13:40   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post

I agree with all your other points.

This point intrigued me. I agree in Europe there is no one left apparently monitoring HF - I think even Osted has gone. I dont entirely follow your point about DSC, is this with reference to transmitting on HF?
Have a look here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...os-141406.html

Distress calls should now be initiated by DSC, which coast guards and SAR services DO indeed monitor -- it's part of the GMDSS system. It's much easier to do any kind of hailing on HF using DSC anyway -- because you can do it automatically on six different bands.

What this means is that any SSB radio without DSC doesn't really work for distress calls, which means that in some sense such radios are actually obsolete.

So an M802 (or M801E) are really desirable choices, if it can be squeezed into the budget somehow.
Old 18-12-2016, 13:45   #23

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
how the h*** do you post a photo on this site???
Select 'go advanced'
Scroll down to 'attach files/manage attachments'
Follow your nose ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3010243.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	138194  
Old 18-12-2016, 13:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

What this means is that any SSB radio without DSC doesn't really work for distress calls, which means that in some sense such radios are actually obsolete.
Obsolete only in the sense that you can't make DSC distress calls....

No change in any of its other numerous functions
Old 18-12-2016, 13:56   #25

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
I'd like to know, too. what kind of ssb radio to listen to Chris Parker's weather reports out on the high seas. I have a small 80dollar Kaito ssb but it does not has Chris's frequencys. does the icom 710 ssb have the right tuner? more money but if it works, great. also looking at Kaito voyager KA600 and the eton grundig 750, would they work?
Many thanks!
Sony SW 7600 GR. Used this in the Bahamas earlier this year to get his morning reports. A friend had a large icom ssb with the shroud antenna, etc, and reception in my Sony was just as good. We did an onboard comparison.

Of course you can't transmit on the Sony, but it also costs around $100 and takes up less space.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 13:57   #26

Dockhead - that is very interesting, thank you.

I can see how it might theoretically be useful, but practically I am not so sure. If you have VHF with DSC you could well use that for anything in range. Now I appreciate you might want to make a call to someone out of VHF range and if you knew their DSC number you could - which you might well with a friend. Are you also suggesting if SSR dont monitor HF, never the less they would receive a DSC over HF? I can see how that would be useful if you were outside the range of VHF. Of course most of the marine chatter is over SSB nets on prearranged frequencies and prearranged times. Also if it is talking to friends then you would porbably be monitoring a prearranged frequency. I assume the party being called would also need to have a SSB with DSC which whilst I guess the norm on ships is less likely to be the case on yachts, where I would guess the majority do not have SSB.

Just interested in the practical advantages if you already have VHF DSC?
Old 18-12-2016, 14:15   #27

Boat: 42' vagabond

sailjumagi:
good to know it compares well to a real transceiver. we have an epirb and a satillite phone on board already for the "never wanted emergency"
needed weather report info. headed for Mexico In january. hope our Prez. Trump doesn't screw with mexico because mexico could screw us!
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 14:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Sony SW 7600 GR. Used this in the Bahamas earlier this year to get his morning reports. A friend had a large icom ssb with the shroud antenna, etc, and reception in my Sony was just as good. We did an onboard comparison.

Of course you can't transmit on the Sony, but it also costs around $100 and takes up less space.
Long way of original topic... however...

Not the Sony but a similar quality Tecsun 680... compared with a Yaesu FTDX3000 Yaesu FTDX3000 Amateur Transceiver, FTDX3000D or $100 v $1500.

This was DX... far weaker signals than you hope to have when monitoring a local net or sucking down a fax....
Old 18-12-2016, 15:16   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ip485 View Post
Dockhead - that is very interesting, thank you.

I can see how it might theoretically be useful, but practically I am not so sure. If you have VHF with DSC you could well use that for anything in range. Now I appreciate you might want to make a call to someone out of VHF range and if you knew their DSC number you could - which you might well with a friend. Are you also suggesting if SSR dont monitor HF, never the less they would receive a DSC over HF? I can see how that would be useful if you were outside the range of VHF. Of course most of the marine chatter is over SSB nets on prearranged frequencies and prearranged times. Also if it is talking to friends then you would porbably be monitoring a prearranged frequency. I assume the party being called would also need to have a SSB with DSC which whilst I guess the norm on ships is less likely to be the case on yachts, where I would guess the majority do not have SSB.

Just interested in the practical advantages if you already have VHF DSC?
See the video for a very thorough explanation of HF DSC.

The advantage compared to VHF DSC is range. VHF DSC good only to 50 miles or so. Not very useful if you're in the middle of the ocean. HF DSC has potentially unlimited range.

A DSC distress call doesn't have to be addressed to anyone. It goes out (if you set it up that way) automatically on 6 different bands, so is almost guaranteed to reach some coast guard somewhere.
Old 18-12-2016, 15:21   #30

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Select 'go advanced'
Scroll down to 'attach files/manage attachments'
Follow your nose ..
Now you only posted that to make me drool.

Tags
ssb