Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2014, 08:58   #16

Boat: Allied 39
Re: Help with Wifi Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I have a Marine WiFi Systems and have recommended it to at least 10 people who bought it...everyone of them thanked me for recommending it.

Bob Stewart, owner of IslandtimePC, was a cruiser and understands everything we need to know better than anyone I know. Write him at rstewart"at"islandtimepc.com...tell him Bill @ BeBe told you about him...he will probably tell you some stories!

Bill

We agree with Bill. Recently installed one of islandtime PC systems that includes a router as well. We went from 2 signals on our PC to over 50 when we hooked it up. Would recommend you taking a few minutes to check his stuff out. When we mentioned your name Bill... Bob said to run like hell! Just joking

Regards

Chuck
Jacaranda
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttfr View Post
Hey you guys,

I am having problems with the wifi signal from the house. Its too the point that I currently go to the house to use the internet and practically live up here instead of down on the boat.
I have a "Sinmax" wifi-USB adaptor ($20 on ebay) which is very similar to your Alfa. They do catch more signal than the built-in wifi on laptops. But there's no disputing that the wifi systems based around the ubiquiti Bullet (Islandtime, Bad Boy) are better overall, and probably the best choice for the boat if you're going to do some cruising as well.

But for just house to boat, you need to consider both ends of the chain. Some here have already mentioned this (eg getting two ubiquiti Nano units - one for each end). This might be a better investment for the given situation.

Since you already have the alfa for the boat, the very first thing I'd try is to put a higher-power wifi access point at the house. This could be replacing the current house router/wifi with a higher-power unit, or buying an additional wifi router or radio (eg a Nano) to set up a second wifi AP. If possible, put a directional wifi antenna at the house with a clear line of sight to the boat.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46   #18

Boat: Liberty 458

Mikrotik wifi extenders work well. We have 2.4/ 5 GHz unit and we swap out aerials to suit. Mostly 3db omni directional but a directional 'woktenna' when needed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote