Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 05:29   #31

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: HF antenna Back Stay vs. Screwdriver antenna

Yes.

Fair winds.

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:32   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Yes.... If ur stuck with a sloop < grin>
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:13   #33

Gents

Problem solved ... shall we do something less controversial next time like heads or anchors ?

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 05:41   #34

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Getting into ham is a new venture for me.

Would it be a good idea to have both antennas on a switch? A back stay and a vertical? Just to be able to run the lower and upper frequencies with good results? Even paired up with a AT. If I wanted to have a wide range of good results do many cruisers have both on a switch?

There are many factors out there I know. It took me many years to find a good antenna for my 11 meter rig after I sifted through all the marketing hype. I now have a happier and can get out farther and listen from farther away with the antenna I finally found. I think it is a Browning. I don't have it near by. I will be going for my tech license soon. I been taking the sample tests on my phone as a break from reading forums awaiting the weather to be nice.
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 02:15   #35

Others may have a different opinion.

I would start with a very standard radio install either Ham and / or marine SSB depending on your needs. In the case of Ham radio that means a backstay, ATU and radio to suit your preferences. Read the various boards and make sure you concentrate on DC power and grounding. I would be tempted set up a secondary back stay arrangement and to not cut your existing back stay until you have a better idea of what works for you and your boat.

For some considerable time your going to need to acquire operating skills. Do your study course and read lots of extra material on operating and propagation. Once you have your licence and everything installed build up the hours in front of the radio learning what works. Many of these early hours should be spent listening... eg listen to the 14.300 net and you will often get some really good examples of operating procedure and the practicalities of propagation.

I suggest a good operator with a mediocre radio will still get much better results than an inexperienced operator with too many buttons and knobs to play with.

Train those ears and learn the procedures and courtesies and you will have lots of very satisfying QSLs.

Ross
yachtgemini is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna