Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2016, 16:35   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: HF SSB your thoughts please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
While the myth persists about ham transceivers being not as good, the reality of contemporary ham rigs is quite different. Many show purity of emissions far superior to any of the marine radios on the market. Even operated outside the ham bands, marine frequencies are close enough to not degrade emission performance.
It is really a moot point as the marine frequencies are far enough apart as to make any criticism about interference absurd.

We have both aboard, one a relic IC 735 and an Icom 802 as a backup and the older technology ham IC 735 has superior noise reduction and sensitivity. And it's current market value is probably an order of magnitude cheaper.
Agreed...I saw a nice looking Icom 735 on QTH for $330.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:08   #47

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

hf for marine warnings and weather updates is possible by using an hf receiver / we have a barrett hf transceiver with built in tuner and designated marine whip ariel and usa yachty made kiss counterpoise earth / hardly ever transmit on the hf but is there for emergencies if needed and receives 8176 for marine warnings and weather in Australian waters / for back up in case of lightning or some other unexpected horror we carry a Sangean ATS 909 PLL synthesized receiver designed to receive SSB on lower and upper side band / it runs on 6 volt through an adapter from 12 or 4 AA batteries / even though we are in a mud pen with the usual modifications on the modifications and general maintenance we still fire up both units occasionally so we stay familiar with the settings and times of weather broadcasts / lightning affects reception / in monsoon conditions you may need to record the weather broadcast and listen several times to take down the position of lows etc / on many occasions the old Barrett was the only link to civilisation / we now have a Spot Connect satellite communicator for back up mostly for other peoples peace of mind / yes SSB HF is an excellent piece of equipment if you start with an HF SSB receiver, learn which frequencies you need to monitor you can run an extension wire (ariel) to your backstay rig you don't need to earth a receiver it is only necessary for transmission / don't transmit without an earth connected to a transceiver it may damage the finals / phones are very good kit on board but prone to salt water harm / some sat phones are protected but out of reach of most peoples' budgets / hopefully this has been of some help and not adding to confusion
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:40   #48

Boat: Gozzard 36

Sorry but I can not agree with Hellosailor's comments about buying boat stuff/electronics on eBay---I basically outfitted my boat for cruising by buying stuff on eBay (epirb, liferaft, ssb, tuner, ground coil, electrosan toilet, anchor, anchor roller, etc) without any problems whatsoever...the trick is to first do your homework on what you want and some of the problems or concerns about the item itself (has it been discontinued, replaced by a newer model etc, reported complaints about the product) ...then check out the reported ratings about the seller himself....good sellers treasure their 'positive' ratings and thus do not want to have dissatisfied customers ...finally pay for the items with a credit card through Paypal ...they have a dispute resolution system and your credit card company will usually take your side in the case of fraud or near fraud ....as for Craiglist or Kijijii you should always deal face to face and inspect the item before buying...I only have had one problem over +10 years and that was where the seller misidentified the item as a current model when it was an older model and in that case Paypal and eBay both went o bat for me on their dispute process and I received full refund including shipping costs .

It does take some work on your part but the savings (as a Presidential candidate would say) ...are HUGE, believe me, HUGE :-)
foothillsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 17:53   #49

Most of us do not have the choice than to buy used and rebuild. If I didn't I would have to stay home.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 04-10-2016, 07:00   #50

Boat: Hunter 26.5 (for now <grin>)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Buying these things in a dark alley (ebay or CL) is risky business. You don't know if it is stolen, or has been modified, or is fully functional, or "just a little" off in some way.
Wow, what a broad brush you used.. I have both bought and sold tons of stuff off both eBay and CL over the past 15 years or so and have completed hundreds of transactions. and other than in one case about 15 years ago, I have been very pleased with the stuff I purchased, or the people to whom I sold something..

In fact, I bought my little Hunter 26.5 from a listing on Craig's List (though I do wish they had an option to be able to search all of their forums vs just specific locals)..

As when buying anything used, it is a buyer beware regardless of where you found the item listed.. Just because it comes from eBay or CL does not mean it is stolen, and just because it comes from a more reputable forum does not mean it is not..

flk k
liveaboard60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 07:17   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveaboard60 View Post
(though I do wish they had an option to be able to search all of their forums vs just specific locals)..
You mean like this?... All of Craigslist
Old 04-10-2016, 08:14   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You mean like this?... All of Craigslist
I could just friggen kiss you <LOL>.. Well you know what I mean.. Thanks a million.. I am in the market for a 42' class boat that is around 20 to 39 years old and not all are sold through brokers.. It is a real pain to hit dozens of CL sites just to search from Brownsville Texas to Maryland along the coast..

flk k
Old 04-10-2016, 09:04   #53

Another good one for some private listings...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/
Old 04-10-2016, 10:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Another good one for some private listings...

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/
Thanks I appreciate the info.. Sailboatlistings well as BoatTrader.com and several others are part of my default weekly searches, but CL was always the hard one since the scope is so narrow..

flk k
Old 04-10-2016, 10:35   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
Whether you are talking short or long distances, you will need the same thing: a transmitting radio, and most likely an antenna tuner.
Yep. On a small budget look for a used Kenwood 430-450 or similar. 450 preferred. SGC or Icom auto tuner if you want to transmit.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease, ssb