Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2022, 18:58   #1

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch
High quality wind instrument

Hi all,

Looking for a high quality wired mast top wind indicator system (transducer and display) that I can integrate at a later date with a new MFD and NMEA network.

I have looked at Raymarine (who I am quite frustrated with), B&G, and Garmin. Would love rec's on high quality instruments from other companies.

Or convince me why I should go with B&G or Garmin

Thanks!

P.S. Any luck with Furuno sailing instruments/mfds?
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 19:35   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: High quality wind instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine1983 View Post
I've been using the Furuno FL5001L - the L version has a longer arm which holds the cups further away from the mast which reduces interference from the mast. I've used it for about 3+ years so far no problems.

If you plan to connect this to a N2K network, you will also need the IF-NMEA2K2 which converts data from the wind vane (NMEA0183) to N2K format. I have mine hooked up this way to the N2K backbone. I also have 2 FI-70 MDF display at the nav desk and 2 in the cockpit. Love the FI-70, though a lot of work to configure, you get a lot of flexibility to design multiple pages of different types of data the way you want to see it.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2022, 19:59   #3

Thanks very much, jordanbigel. That’s good to hear about the Furuno gear. Both units look solid and I like that it’s hard wired.
Old 17-02-2022, 20:08   #4

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Hi all,

Looking for a high quality wired mast top wind indicator system (transducer and display) that I can integrate at a later date with a new MFD and NMEA network.

I have looked at Raymarine (who I am quite frustrated with), B&G, and Garmin. Would love rec's on high quality instruments from other companies.

Thanks!

I have used B&G for over 35 years on my boat. I just removed the original system and installed a newer B&G Hercules system.

B&G support and documentation is not perfect. Simrad has definitely downgraded B&G, yet there is still a reason why all major race boats around the world use B&G Hercules.

As for me, my newer B&G system is more accurate and faster than my old system which was still superior to any other system I have seen. It is the best.

If you are casual about your instruments, buy any old thing. If you are serious about the best, buy B&G.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	065-MHU Tested-Success-134029.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	253136  
Old 17-02-2022, 20:25   #5

Boat: Ericson 27

We have a Garmin wind on our masthead, and its predecessor Silva/Nexus for close to 20 years now. The wind instrument itself is quite accurate, and especially so in light winds. We have had to swap out the sensor three times over the past 20 years, but that's not too bad for something that spends its entire life exposed to the elements.

The one issue we ran into with the Garmin (and the new box) was that the RS485 link was iffy until we added a 120ohm termination resistor. Once we did that, it's been rock solid.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 07:41   #6

Thank you hjohnson and wingsail for the input on B&G and Garmin.

@jordanbigel - I'm wondering under what circumstances the "L" version of the transducer would be needed. I am on a Pearson 424 ketch. I guess it probably has more to do with the height of your anchor/tricolor and any antennas.
Old 18-02-2022, 08:15   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Id suggest an ultrasonic wind sensor , no moving parts, these are arguably the technology leaders https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette...7-windyplug-2/
Old 18-02-2022, 09:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Id suggest an ultrasonic wind sensor , no moving parts, these are arguably the technology leaders https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/girouette...7-windyplug-2/
Thanks. A friend of mine suggested this style from Maretron, but they don't seem to make them anymore. Looks like several others do though. How that works is beyond me. But I like the idea of no flimsy plastic pieces sticking out.
Old 18-02-2022, 09:51   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I installed a B&G about three years ago and very happy with it. It required no adapter or interface to link to my NMEA2000 network. Only requirement, it had to be at the end of the backbone, replacing the terminator resistor on that end instead of connecting to a T as a spur.

Works seamlessly with my mixed network of Simrad, B&G, Raymarine, Garmin and Vesper.

I have to report that my experience with tech support at Navico (which includes Simrad, B&G, Lowrance, and C-Map) has been excellent. Haven't needed to call them in a couple of years but every time I did, if I didn't reach someone immediately I got a call back very quickly. Always spoke with a real engineer who, unlike most tech support I get these days, actually knew more about the systems than I did.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 14:52   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

We like our Airmar, no cups and don’t have to worry about birds.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:22   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Works with and is adaptable to just about any instrument set up and yes even available in Windyplug form.

Customer service is knowledgable and excellent.

https://lcjcapteurs.com/en/categorie...ing-sailboats/
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 17:22   #12

We are huge fans of OpenWind, having tried others. All the info you’d want, fine compatibility, and, above all, first rate, personalised, customer service. German engineering, to boot. Good luck!

Jacquie and Peter MacKinnon
Bittern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 19:09   #13

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

I like our Raymarine transducer. Robust, and easy to remove/re-mount. Ten years old this year (we do remove over winter).
Old 18-02-2022, 21:37   #14

Boat: S&S Swift 40 ketch

We have the LC Captuers with the windy plug. It interfaces beautifully with our B&G gear through NMEA 2000 backbone. Awesome piece of equipment. No moving parts.
Cheers
Steve
seagypsy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2022, 06:31   #15

Hi guys, last year I bought a HY-WDC2E from Alibaba US$139.00 + shipping, you could order with serial port of your choice, I ordered with an RS485 and worked just fine with OpenCPN. Look at this site and ask Liang Kuang for a price.
http://www.hongyuv.com/WDC2E_Ultrasonic_Anemometer.pdf

Gilles
JonathanX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum, wind