Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2014, 13:03   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Hour Meter not Working

The hour meter on my Universal M-50 instrument panel (Novatron?) stopped working, but the tachometer still works so the unit must still be receiving electricity. Anybody have any ideas as to why it is not working? Do I need a new unit? All the other gauges are working fine.
Likato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:16   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: Hour meter not working

Is it correct in assuming the hour meter is built into the tach?

Is the power to the tach the same as the power to the hour meter? If it is not then check the voltage to the hour meter. If it is the same then the hour meter broke internally and needs replacing.

If you are really in to it you can take it apart and see if it is fixable. The combination tachs and hour meters are usually press fitted and difficult to take apart without destroying it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 13:49   #3

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Hour Meter not Working

My tach is the opposite. The hourmeter works but the tach is intermittent. To cut a long story short, it's far easier to replace the whole unit.

As David M said, the darn things are difficult to disassemble and even more so to reassemble in some cases (I know, I'v tried - and it led to heartache) and usually the circuitry for both functions is all on a single PCB.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 16:38   #4

Boat: Tartan 40

Yes the hour meter is built in to the tach. I do believe they work off the same power source (I'm still tracing wires). I don't think I want to replace it and I don't want to get too creative and wreck the tach. I will log hours manually for now. A new unit is $710 (!!)
Likato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 16:52   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likato View Post
Yes the hour meter is built in to the tach. I do believe they work off the same power source (I'm still tracing wires). I don't think I want to replace it and I don't want to get too creative and wreck the tach. I will log hours manually for now. A new unit is $710 (!!)
If it's a mechanical (rolling numbers) hour meter, they sometimes get stuck, usually irreparably. Simplest solution, since your tach is still working, is to buy a separate hour meter. If your tach is working intermittently, then check all the usual suspects first (connections at the alternator come to mind...).
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2014, 17:40   #6

Boat: Seafarer36c

For a dependable setup use an oil pressure switch and a Hour or Hobbs meter. Maybe $75 tops.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7 - Sawadi

Your problem is quite common. Here in Europe Volvo Tachometers - supplied by VDO - are breaking down quite often. A DIY repair guide can be found here: VP MD2020 tachometer repair | verl900 . Perhaps it is useful to you. Good luck!
De_pruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 13:55   #8

Do a Google search for TinyTach. They make a small unit that senses the speed with a transducer that clamps on to the diesel injector tubing. Supply 12V and it works as a tach when the motor is running and an hourmeter when the engine is stopped but 12V applied. Costs about $95. Take the old tach out, cut the back off the case, put the TinyTach in a small piece of plastic that fits in the shell of the old tach.
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 17:29   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by svinshallah View Post
Do a Google search for TinyTach. They make a small unit that senses the speed with a transducer that clamps on to the diesel injector tubing. Supply 12V and it works as a tach when the motor is running and an hourmeter when the engine is stopped but 12V applied. Costs about $95. Take the old tach out, cut the back off the case, put the TinyTach in a small piece of plastic that fits in the shell of the old tach.
Nice tip!

Design Technology, Inc., Home of the Tiny-Tach - Diesel Tiny-Tach Tachometer
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote