Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2014, 05:02   #1

Boat: Swanson 32
How do I connect radar, VHF and other stuff on Raymarine SeaTalk network

Hello all,

Following the recent lightning strike that I experienced I am about to install a suite of Raymarine products to replace damaged equipment. I wish to network all the components but I having a few issues understanding some connections.
The basic network uses SeaTalkNG I understand, but interfacing some of the listed equipment has me a bit confused.

The equipment will be:

Raymarine A77 Multi Function Device with Fishfinder and inbuilt GPS.
Raymarine Evolution EV-100 Auto pilot consisting of EV1 Sensor, ACU-100 Autopilot Control Unit, P70 Control Head and Wheel steer
Raymarine Raydome RD418D Radar radome
Raymarine Wind Vane
Raymarine i60 Wind instrument
Raymarine P79 Adjustable in-hull depth transducer
Raymarine Ray55E VHF Marine radio
Fusion 700 series entertainment system model MS-AV700

1. How do I connect the Radome (SeaTalkHS I believe) to the network backbone (which is SeaTalkNG I believe). I don’t want to have to run the Radome cable to the MFD (at the helm) and to connect directly to that, as I only want the one plug to have to connect at the MFD. I remove it regularly.
2. How do I connect the VHF radio to the network as I intend to install AIS at a later date and there are gains to be had by connecting it to the network
3. How do I connect the sound system to the network to give me control over it from the MFD.
4. Is it better to connect the items of the Autopilot, viz Ev1 sensor and P70 control head, directly to the ACU or to network using spur cables. If to the network another 5 way connector will do the trick.
5. Can the wheel drive motor be connected to the network also, as that would save a separate cable run to the helm from the ACU.

The P79 transducer will be connected via an ITC-5 Transducer convertor.

I have attached a PDF showing the proposed layout.

Has any body installed this equipment to the SeaTalkNG bus before that can help me as I would appreciate any help on the above issues.

Thanks Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Network Diagram.pdf (11.0 KB, 217 views)
Old 17-12-2014, 06:46   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: How do I connect radar, VHF and other stuff on Raymarine SeaTalk network

SEatalkNG is just Rays implementation of NMEA 2000, aka 2K bus. The radar does not use the 2k bus to move its image data, so it will require separate cabling to the MFD. The VHF looks like it only supports NMEA 0183, so you will need to see if any of your instruments (eg the MFD) has a 0183 output or you can can get a SeatalkNG to 0183 converter. The Fusion radio should plug into the 2K bus fine.
Old 18-12-2014, 05:20   #3

Boat: Freedom 32 (Hoyt)
How do I connect radar, VHF and other stuff on Raymarine SeaTalk network

The Fusion radio, for control from the display will also need connection to the display by SeaTalkHS along with the Radar, the nmea2000 connection is for their remote control connection.

The wheel pilot motor will require separate wiring to the ACU.

Raymarine have a reference manual on SeaTalkNG configuration and the wiring is clearly stated in the manuals for the respective items. You will need to read AND understand these before you can even consider a wiring diagram.

The smaller Raymarine displays only have one SeaTalkHS connector, run one network cable and use an HS5 network switch for connecting the display to the radar and fusion radio.

You will also need a SeaTalkNG cable, nmea0183 for the VHF, power for the display and wheel pilot drive motor wiring from the ACU to the helm.

On a final note, the a77 has no nmea0183 output. You will probably need a E22158 SeaTalkNG to NMEA0183/ST1 converter to give position data to the VHF unless it is converted elsewhere in the system you propose.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
r.furborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2014, 04:30   #4

Boat: Swanson 32

Hi guys,

Thanks for all this.

Pulled the mast off today to refurbish it after everything on it got fried by the lightening and I have only a couple of days to get it done, due to Christmas so I am up to the eyeballs in that so to speak.

I will let you know how I get on with the Raymarine issue when the mast job is finished and all the gear for that project has arrived.

Steve.
Old 22-12-2014, 13:08   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

Good luck, from what I am learning of my own Raymarine bits it can be done with enough creativity and cables/adapters/configure choices. Google searches and past forum topics will help a great deal.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, radar, raymarine, seatalk, vhf