Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2014, 15:44   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Re: How Do I Setup My Bullet WIFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillMerry View Post
Thanks for all the advice on this thread which has enabled me to set up a Bullet M2 Titanium with a Netgear 150 as access point to provide Wifi. After a bit of re-reading, I've got it all working OK - Bullet as DHCP server, internet access OK and access to management pages on both Bullet and Netgear. I've not installed on the boat yet, but when I test the setup at home, the speed is quite slow. When I access my home network direct by WiFi, I'm getting around 50MBit/s download, but when accessing the same network via the Bullet, the speed drops to around 3MBit/s at best - and often the upload speed is higher than the download. I'd appreciate if anyone has any advice on whether I can expect a higher throughput and any pointers on config changes. Thanks - Bill
Reduce the output power on the Bullet, or move the Bullet/antenna further away from your AP. Likely you are overpowering your access point, or your antenna is too close and in turn "missing" your local AP. This is assuming you have some type of high gain antenna attached.

Also, plug the Bullet directly into your computer to remove the netgear router as this might point you to which device is causing the issue.
Old 29-09-2014, 16:07   #32

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Mark beat me to it: it is most likely an overdrive problem. Put a Bullet with an 8db-12db antenna inside a home and your home AP will be overdriven and struggle to make sense of it. It is easy to turn down the Bullet's transmit power. You also have the possibility of interference between the Netgear AP for the boat and the home AP - remember that the channels overlap so only use channels 1, 6, and 11, and have the boat's AP different than the house's, at least for testing.

BTW I am using a Ubiquiti airGateway as the boat's AP - it makes for a slick install and standardizes the web interface.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 19:17   #33

Boat: 1969 Roamer ChrisCraft, Riveria, 46'

From experience with my setup, I also suspect the gain is too high.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
neptunesjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:08   #34

Boat: Nimbus 320C

Thanks for the suggestions. Changing wireless channels made the most difference; reducing the power on the Bullet seemed to make less difference. However, I've now been able to test the setup in its 'real' environment on the boat and the speed via the bullet is pretty much the same as when directly connecting to the Marina WiFi - so all looks good!
BillMerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:17   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Anyway current setup is:

Bullet set as Router and Station. IP at 192.168.10.20 and DHCP enabled with range ..10.21 to ..10.98

The Netgear has DHCH disabled, no connection to WAN port, and IP at 192.168.10.99 (tried on a different subnet but would not work).
Thanks again
This thread has been a BIG help. I have a Ubiquity Bullet M2 HP and the same Netgear Wireless Router (N150 WRN1000).

My question is what do I need to change in the Netgear admin settings to make it be the wireless AP? Everyone here seems to have done so successfully...

Can someone walk me through configuring my Netgear wireless router, please?

- Do I make these changes after configuring the Bullet?
- Do I need to set the computer's network settings to make the changes as I did with the Bullet (then reset to automatic afterwards)?
- Looks like I need to set the Netgear router to a static ip of 192.168.10.99 with 255.255.255.0 subnet. What is gateway for Netgear...

HELP!

Thanks in advance
Sheila Sig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2020, 18:56   #36

Boat: 41' Lagoon 410

Bumping this thread.

I have the Bullet M2. It's set up. It's connecting to local wifi's but the computer says the connection has no internet. I'm using my phone's WiFi to type this, so that obviously works, but when I connect through the bullet I get nothing. The Tx/Rx rates are good on the main screen of the Bullet, but no internet throughput to the computer.

Running Windows 10.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
WanderIVth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 10:27   #37

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The fact that you have a connection means that the WiFi part is working. Not being able to access the internet can be caused by a failure to log into the router (some systems need a browser to try to load an http: page, which gets redirected to the login page). Perhaps the router limits the number of devices with the same login. The router should automatically provide the internet gateway address using DHCP but it is possible you have your connection using a manual setup (switch to auto). Obviously it is hard to diagnose from a distance but look for either login or DHCP problems.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 12:58   #38

Boat: 41' Lagoon 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The fact that you...

Greg
Thanks Greg. I eventually got it figured out. Turned out the issue was me not hitting "change" and "apply" when I put in the password for the SSID I was accessing. Faulty interface in normal position.

Thank you for responding.
WanderIVth is offline   Reply With Quote