Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2022, 14:53   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
How far from land does Starlink RV receive a signal?

I’m not asking about using it while sailing along, but when anchored at an offshore island or coral reef. How far from land does the RV system work? Is there even a limit?

We’re on the east coast of Australia and would love to get rid of our mobile data sim system, which only works at best up to 20-30 miles offshore. But if we want to get out to the Great Barrier Reef the mobile system isn’t usable.

I see that Lord Howe Island has Starlink coverage, so does that mean that Starlink is available in every part of the ocean between there and the mainland? And by extension that should be the same as the coverage moves up to central and northern Queensland?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 15:08   #2

Re: How far from land does Starlink RV receive a signal?

Until they get the full compliment of sats with interconnecting links operational, you have to be in range of one of their ground stations. Each station has a range of around 600-700km so as long as you are inside that circle you can/should get coverage.

They have been cutting off service once outside the 12 mile limit but this appears to have been relaxed a little lately.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 16:27   #3
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I just picked the system up so have not had it on my boat at this point. I've heard that the 12 mile limit was like a wall, but interesting to hear that it may have been relaxed. I've not heard that before. But I don't have any first hand knowledge - yet.

dj

p.s. this info I've been getting from folks here in the US waters - nothing from your part of the world. I'm most interested in hearing about it!
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 08:10   #4

Boat: FP Astrea 42 #164

We cruise the Abacos and I saw Starlink in multiple residential installs. Word is that cruisers are having good success there too.

Our RV kit just arrived and we'll have it installed this summer during Hurricane season, splash back in Nov 1.

I'm hoping for success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlj View Post
I just picked the system up so have not had it on my boat at this point. I've heard that the 12 mile limit was like a wall, but interesting to hear that it may have been relaxed. I've not heard that before. But I don't have any first hand knowledge - yet.

dj

p.s. this info I've been getting from folks here in the US waters - nothing from your part of the world. I'm most interested in hearing about it!
Funkydrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 12:58   #5

buy one and try it. is the only way to know. and keep the sim card because starlink is intermittent.

feed both into an auto switching router.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2022, 13:37   #6

Boat: Morgan 382

It's very much up in the air. Current residential and RV subscribers have mixed results, usually up to 12 miles from land, but possibly the entire Mediterranean and Caribbean seem to be covered regardless of the distance.

However, important to note, they recently started offering Maritime service for $5000 per month. So, there is a lot of uncertainty when or if the cheaper residential and RV service will offer any more than they do now, even when the full system is operational.