Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2014, 14:45   #1

How Long Before Electronics Are Outdated?

I've heard several brokers say after 10 years you need to update your electronics. I've even heard that in 5 years, advancements in technology make your navigational instruments most likely outdated.

One boat we looked at had the Furuno 3D NavNet, purchased in 2007 with software updates in 2011. That made me wonder if certain electronics could keep up with technology through software updates.

How do you go about identifying what needs replacement and what can stay?
Old 23-11-2014, 14:57   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: How Long Before Electronics Are Outdated?

If it meets your needs it's fine unless you are selling the boat. The exception is if it breaks and the manufacturer no longer supports it.

That said, it newer equipment has features that you need or want, it may be time for an upgrade.

Putting a fixed life on electronics (ten years, etc.) is silly. The broker is not operating the boat, you are.
Old 23-11-2014, 16:06   #3

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.

I would not pay any attention to a broker about electronics. If your electronics are older but work fine why would you install new? The next owner may not like what's on the boat whether it's new or not.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 16:45   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Electronics are out of date the day you buy them. Doesn't mean they are worthless. My 10 year old Garmin 3206 plotter still gets me where I want to go with all the information I need. Same goes for my even older SSB ham radio, log, wind speed/point, etc. If you are the type that has to have the latest and greatest in Electronics, you can spend money like a drunken sailor and drive yourself crazy.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:33   #5

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

As others have said, old ain't necessarily bad.

Your example of NavNet3D - it is still being sold, there are free updates newer than 2011, all US charts are free (including fishing charts and sat photos), radar is second to none. And, it connects to all the new toys (sirius weather, AIS, etc.).

Dated? Yes! Useless? Absolutely Not!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:51   #6

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft

You can always supplement with iPad App and OpenCPN with a laptop. Electronic charts are free or close to nothing. I have sailed with boats that has an inoperable chart plotter or outdate charts, iPad or iphone always saves the day for me. Addition, most iDevices are compatible with Active Captain, don't leave home port without it especially sailing in East Coast.

This will give you time to shop for a new chart plotter. With advances of electronic and connectivity, the sky is the limits. Shop wisely.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 17:56   #7

Julie,

Technology advances rapidly these but one needs to consider... how much does the increase impact on your navigation and life safety issues.

Sure there are more precise transducers and more precise radars with longer ranges. But how important is the increase in accuracy? it's nice to have because your electronics is a sort of model of the real world... but YOU have to pike your head out and make the decisions!

I have a 28 yrs old boat with some of the original B&G electronics and they work perfectly.. a wind instrument that's been atop the mast during multiple hurricanes including Sandy.

Instrument packages are now integrating data and putting it on one display and over a network where you can pluck any data you want on a display... you place wherever it suits you. You can add video and sat weather and the list goes on and on.

Electronics are expensive and wiring / installing is not inexpensive. Presumably the N2K was supposed to provide some amount of interoperability between manufacturers... Good luck with that!

As with all electronics the issue is SUPPORT. Manufacturers would rather sell new boxes than provide support for old. Software upgrades are replaced by new hardware products You often are forced to upgrade because you can't get support.

I was told by a level 1 (highest) installer that the new gear is just not as well made as the old. My B&G is proof to some extent.

If the equipment is made by a reliable company with world wide market penetration which doesn't come out with new products constantly I would think that would be a company to consider... Furuno, B&G, Garmin and perhaps Raymarine.

Data overload is not a good thing... and there is something say for KISS. I never use routes and don't see the point of having waypoint libraries... it takes but a few seconds to program a waypoint... Why libraries and routes and so on are big selling points beats me. Same with AP integration. YOU make the decisions not come chip. This is actually a questionable life-safety feature but it's common and touted as the next best thing to sliced bread.

Sorry for the rant... sometimes we get what we want and lose what we had.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2014, 18:01   #8

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Julie,

This will not surprise you, but we are of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" school, for the most part. For me, your brand new, whoopty-do, whatever, will be superceded in two years anyway. So, in looking at previously owned boats, I'd be more interested that everything works properly. You can upgrade at any time, and such items will undoubtedly keep on getting better. Unless you're really quite wealthy, keeping all of it up to date would be quite expensive.

Ann
Old 23-11-2014, 18:15   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Just plain stupid. Unless you're a gamer at heart.

Of course, we do it to ourselves, always wanting a bigger, better deal.
Old 23-11-2014, 20:23   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

My VHF is original equipment on my boat, built in 1976. The much more recent Loran C, otoh, I immediately removed when I bought the boat. The VHF still works, though without all the cool new features of modern DSC sets. The Loran is of course basically useless. Nothing to do with age, just timely practicality and useability. My HF radio and tuner I bought quite well used. Got rid of the old EPIRB and will someday break down and buy a new up to date one. Age is just a number. Forget age. Worry about if the old gear meets your needs or not.
Old 23-11-2014, 20:44   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Julie, if you really want to know when you should update your electronic gear, go to the source: ask a salesman!

Or just listen to all of us who say that unless you have lots of spare money, don't replace anything that still performs its required functions. Remember, just a few years ago all that "old stuff" on your boat was the latest hot setup, and the envy of the fleet!

Adding new (and useful) functions is a bit different. Things like AIS transceivers just were not available until fairly recently, and should be considered if you are going cruising. There may be other such items, but I can't think of one just now...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 23-11-2014, 23:19   #12

now a days they are outdated in about 6 months. but that doesn't mean they stop working. hopefully they will work for 10.

as they get older you wouldn't want a failure during a trip.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 04:58   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I agree with all the posts except that for plotters you MUST be able to update the charts. Especially if you are a newbie having current chart will keep you out of trouble.

For the frugal there are ways around this - iPad charts- but being able to update the chart data may be a factor.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2014, 06:56   #14

Why is it the advice you get from a broker trying to sell you a boat is so different than the sound advice you get from sailors?

While long term plans will (hopefully) include distant tropical destinations, it makes sense to evaluate everything on board for the intended use. I often think back on the days my dad and I had nothing more than a compass to get us across and up and down Lake Michigan. It quickly became apparent a depth sounder and knotmeter would be nice additions. When we installed a LORAN many years later, I thought we were the bomb! But we went for a long time with nothing more than wind, depth and boat speed instruments, a compass, a sextant and paper charts,

When I look back on those days, I have to laugh at myself for fretting about getting up to speed with today's technology. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 24-11-2014, 07:03   #15

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

To give that broker the benefit of the doubt (often not a good idea), I assume what he was saying is that the seller and potential buyer should put very little or no value on the electronics that are more than 10 years old as they will either fail or be upgraded early in the new ownership.
As everyone else has responded, if they are working and meet your needs there is no reason to replace them. However, when purchasing a boat with old electronics it would be prudent to plan for replacements in the first 5 years of ownership.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electronics