Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2018, 13:25   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: How to take out the impeller without getting too much water into the boat

Or do it as a two person job.

One person removes impeller and places hand over hole to stop water. There is not a lot of pressure so your hand will hold back the water. Other person cleans wheel and returns it to person with hand over hole. Replace impeller in hole and clean up the gallon or 2 of water that came in.

Alternative is to install the blank while you clean paddle wheel.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:29   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Not my idea, on our boat when we got it. Cut a piece of PVC pipe, 3/4/5 inches diameter, whatever fits, and 5200 it to the hull around the transducer, obviously on the inside of the boat hull. Spilled water will be contained in this new “bucket” and you can sop it out at leisure.

Now, how do I change oil through the dipstick without completely covering myself, and half the interior, with nasty dirty oil?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 13:57   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Next boat put the transducer in the bilge where a little water isn't a problem or find a place where water ingress will be the least problem. PO on my Sabre 28 put the transducer in a locker under the V berth. It's a bitch to get at, switch from the plug to the transducer or vice versa, and shoots water all over the locker and sole. May be a good place to get even waterflow over the paddle wheel but not to service it. Actually don't know if this was/is the best place for the transducer as the knotmeter doesn't work and haven't hauled to replace it.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 15:09   #19

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

OK my 2 cents...
From all the jokes you received, I think that I can risk my solution.

I already did it with success.
On my C&C 29 sailing in a 4C cold water, no question to swim to clean the impeller. So the thruhull fitting was long enough to be able to STRONGLY tape a thick transparent plastic bag over the nut" and have the cable to come out.
Add a colar of fabric, foam, etc to insure the best tightness.

Maybe add a large "adjustable hose clamp" to be sure but not too tight to break the transducer cable.

In the bag, before installing you place your plug.
Place the bag, remove as much air, clamp and then unscrew the nut with your finers through the bag. Pull the transducer.

Sure water will fill the bag, but with 9 inches of water pressure... a good bag will do. Then the same way you put the plug and even can screw the nut.

With a small container puncture the bag and empty it with precaution.

Remove the bag, clean the impeller and ... I hope you understand to do the opposite to resintall.... HO you need 2 bags.

Old 30-08-2018, 18:26   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
I have and old datamatine knotmeter with an impeller. The impeller is a magnet for crustaceans and I need to take it out from time to time to clean it or keep it out when the boat is not sailing. Either way I do it, I get a good splash of water insode the boat when I take it out and replace it with the dummy plug.

Is there a trick to this? How dp you keep the impeller clean without having to clean up a gallon of water from between the stringers each time?
Some good ideas here (I like the ball-valve idea if it could work), but failing all those, just build a dam wall around the sensor so the water does not go everywhere. Say a 200mm diameter, by 200mm long length of PVC pipe Sika'd or glassed around the sensor. Plenty big enough to get your hand in to pull and replace, but stops the water running further (if you are like us, you want to keep your bilge bone dry I assume), and you can just mop it up from there with a decent sponge.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 19:40   #21

Boat: C-26

Jeez. All these solutions. Just wrap a beach towel around it and be quick on the exchange. A caveman could do it.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2018, 20:20   #22

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Just teach yourself to do it alot faster !!
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2018, 13:43   #23

Boat: Newport 28II, 28'

I agree with those who say don’t worry about a little water. I have the same issue with critters on my Raymarine paddlewheel and have to pull the transducer most times I go out. A little water comes in before I can put in the plug— maybe 1/2 quart — but that’s not an issue. I use transducer paint on the wheels but that doesn’t make much of a difference. I use an old toothbrush to clean the critters off.
Over Budget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 01:53   #24

Boat: Island Packet 420

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
I have and old datamatine knotmeter with an impeller. The impeller is a magnet for crustaceans and I need to take it out from time to time to clean it or keep it out when the boat is not sailing. Either way I do it, I get a good splash of water insode the boat when I take it out and replace it with the dummy plug.

Is there a trick to this? How dp you keep the impeller clean without having to clean up a gallon of water from between the stringers each time?
I just installed 2 new B&G (Airmar) thru-hulls on my boat. The valve in the thru-hulls are terrible. They allow a fountain of water to spurt into the boat, about 12" high. Previously, when I pulled the transducer for my old speedo, the valve in the thru-hull fitting only let water trickle in and I could take my time with it. It is really aggravating to have to deal with the water even though I am pretty quick at stopping the flow with my hand. It cannot help but get some items located above the holes wet with seawater because of the height of the fountain. It appears that the valve does not seat properly and the water column that rises is basically a hollow one, 2 inches in diameter. Another friend told me that his valve in a newly installed B&G thru-hull (Airmar) fell out after 3 uses and he deals with a 3 foot fountain. I have calle B&G, they referred me to Airmar. So, I called Airmar, both claim they have not seen any complaints about failure with these valves. Perhaps people do not realize that there should only be a slow ingess of water if the valves are working properly.

At any rate, I would urge anyone who has similar products in any Airmar thru-hull (they make the transducers for just about every company- B&G, Raymarine, Navico, Lowrance, Simrad, etc.) to write to them at: Sales@airmar.com. Also, please post your experiences here. If there is anything I can do to try to fix this, I would appreciate any suggestions. Airmar claimed there was nothing they could do as the valves are integrated into the unit at production.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 11:26   #25
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

It is not that hard to clean the paddlewheel from under the boat. I do it all the time.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, water