Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2013, 15:45   #16

Boat: Cal 48 Wainui
Re: Hydraulic Autopilot Ram

I have just replaced the seals on the ram. Was not that difficult. They had started to leak. Canadian Metals own the company and sent me a new kit for $47. They suggested replacing them about every 5 years depending on use.
Wainui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 00:06   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

The seals in these things are off the shelf, commodity items and if you don't mind servicing them yourself they can generally be had for a few dollars each at hydraulic or bearing suppliers.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43   #18

As this was the first time, I purchased the seals before I took the ram apart. Next time I will do as you recommended as it was so easy.
Thanks
M
Old 14-10-2013, 17:13   #19

Boat: Allied Seawind II Sloop
How much feedback do you loose with cable and quadrant steering after installing an Octopus Hydraulic ram (or similar)? Does anyone know how it would affect a Monitor Windvane? Considering a ComNav and Octopus autopilot installation...

Thanks,
Dave
Sailorsrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 12:18   #20

No noticable difference. I would not worry about the resistance of the non engaged ram.
The ram is easy to work on and the motor has extra long brushes that will not need replacing for a long time.
Good luck
M
Old 29-08-2015, 08:34   #21

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft.

I also have an old navico 8000 with a octopus drive. On a recent cruise to the Bahamas, the drive worked well for the first 200 miles, leaking little if any fluid. Then I started to get air into the hydraulics. I would bleed it, and it would work well for 30 minutes maybe an hour even when lightly loaded. I prefer repairing things myself, but Octopus wants me to send it in (default statement?).

Is this air leak likely due to warn seals in the cylinder, pump or somewhere else?

The Octopus procedure for rebuilding the cylinder does not sound difficult. Their rebuild kit includes seals and o-ring for all their models. It sounds like the seals for the cylinder are metric hydraulic parts such as U cup seals. So I would prefer to get just what I need locally.

Any feedback is appreciated.
morgan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 08:45   #22

Well, I'm no expert but know a little, a leaking piston seal should not allow air in as there should be only fluid on both sides of the piston.
I have had a ram end seal that dripped a bit, but it never caused an air problem either.
I really wonder if it's a cylinder problem at all.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:40   #23

Mine was leaking fluid. If there is still fluid in the reservoir but air in the system it may not be the seals. Check the ends of the ram with a white towel to see if that is where there is leaking fluid. The seal replacement is not difficult
Old 19-10-2015, 13:15   #24

Boat: Morgan 384, 38 ft.

I found a leaking o-ring on one of the two bypass valve bleed screws. I believe this was the source of my air leak. This is a size (-008) o-ring. I also rebuilt the cylinder for less than $2. Two size (-114) o-rings seal the rod in the gland, 2 size -218 o-rings seal the gland in the cylinder tube. I did not replace the (-114) backup rings, or the u-cups on the piston between the two sides of the system as they all looked to be in good shape. The u-cups are AN 6226-20 type, and are on a plastic partition mounted on the center of the rod inside the cylinder.
morgan38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot