Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 11:07   #1

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez
Hydraulic valve for Autopilot

Does anyone know who makes this hydraulic valve and handle?

It was connected to our autopilot hydraulics which was a W-H autopilot. We replaced with Raymarine but someone stood on the handle and broke the saft that goes to the valve.

The more modern approach I believe is to use a solenoid which is connected to the AP computer but I like the ability to disengage the AP fast with the hydraulic handle.

Is it still normal these days to have the bypass handle, or do people just use the solenoid and the disengage button on the AP control head?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AP Valve.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	225338  
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:22   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Hydraulic valve for Autopilot

Your left photo seems to show a solenoid valve. The two blue wires that appear to be leading to it are the control wiring.

Not sure what “handle” was broken off. Was it a lever operated, water tight, electrical on/off switch?

Most solenoid valves are rated for oil, water (fresh) and gas. The key feature is what pressure rating the valve has (and its oriface size).
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 11:38   #3

The handle in the right hand photo has a shaft which goes through to the bypass solenoid. The solenoid got disconnected when we upgraded the autopilot and we found the ability to manually disconnect the AP quickly in an emergency a good safety feature.

Yes I could replace it with a solenoid without connecting the handle - is that normal these days with modern AP's (Ours is a Raymarine EV-100 - with the terminals for clutch)?
Old 17-10-2020, 12:36   #4

PS: Pic on left = bypass valve/solenoid
Pic on right = handle in cockpit adjacent to and connected to solenoid
Old 18-10-2020, 22:11   #5

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Now that I think of it, we also have a manual bypass valve in our hydraulic steering/AP system. Just a simple valve with handle. I can't remember how it's plumbed in. Installed the system myself 20 years ago and never needed to use that valve. It would be unusual that the electric valve would stick in the AP position when power to AP is removed.
Old 18-10-2020, 23:46   #6

I made a mistake. Its not a solenoid in the picture - plain old valve with reed switch to indicator light.

replacing with solenoid, 12v NO. 1000+PSI.
Old 19-10-2020, 00:32   #7

what exactly is this doing? does it open up a vavle between the port and stb steering hoses?

that would stop the pilot from turning but you'd also lose hand steering.

I don't see how that would cut off a pilot only. you'd need 2 valves, one at each pump output. but I doubt that would be good for the pump.

never seen one on any autopilot.

I have seen switches that cut electrical power to the pilot at a helm.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 05:44   #8

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

I just use the AP disconnect button on the control head which immediately releases the hydraulic valve to the open position. When operating it is closed and the AP pump reverses direction (DC motor) to pump "in" or "out" to go to P or S. This was same design as on prior B&G AP.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 07:35   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
Now that I think of it, we also have a manual bypass valve in our hydraulic steering/AP system. Just a simple valve with handle. I can't remember how it's plumbed in. Installed the system myself 20 years ago and never needed to use that valve. It would be unusual that the electric valve would stick in the AP position when power to AP is removed.

We have a helm control valve (aka sailing valve) on our old Wagner hydraulic steering system. It can be positioned 3 ways.

1. full lock: lock valve engaged, no rudder feed back and position needed for AP
2. "sailing" mode: no lock valve, full rudder feedback
3. full disengagement from helm: for use w/emergency tiller.

A really nice piece of old school machining to set up the ports for the different positions. Was easy to rebuild w/o rings (Viton) for the internal lock valves.
Haven't made them for a long time, but you could look for them.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot