Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2021, 18:41   #76

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: I’m anti AIS. BUT......

Well I apologized to you personally and publicly. Honestly, you got my attention just with the title of the post. If you post something, well...sometimes people are going to get rolling after only reading a few sentences. It’s difficult to state opinions which differ from the OP IF the OP takes it personally.
I’ve been warned several times by the mods who have a difficult job. People feel very strongly about things and that’s ok.,
Trying to be perfectly nice ALL the time? Well it’s difficult.
It’s Christmas.
You’ve had several disappointments this year...a hard year for you.
I could list a lot of people who hold very different opinions from me on a lot of subjects but I’m not going to quit the forum no matter what insults get thrown my way because sometimes...just sometimes...what I post helps someone or gets them thinking about a subject from the other side of the table.
My crew are a bunch of blubber butt gas bags who are constantly building crazy stuff. One of my friends is Green, lives on a Lilly pad and eats flies.
LOL. I love the diversity and all the crazy stuff here.
Have a Merry Christmas.
Captain Mark and his manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2021, 18:43   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I would love it when governments have no clue on my whereabouts nor movements. In this particular case, stopping AIS transmission won’t be enough because they also track our cellphones, our credit cards plus active methods like radar and when they want to know anything more about the radar echo, they check on any available optic asset, from USCG vessels or aircraft all the way up to satellites.
Exactly. Also if you have computer, ever use the internet to login to something like, oh say Cruiser's Forum?

For all these reasons and more you will not be truly off the grid.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 04:27   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
Stand watch like you are supposed to do.
Well there's a novel concept!

People are quick to cite rules for others to follow but somehow exempt themselves when inconvenient. The underlying premise is most traffic will be complying with regulations - who ever would cruise if there were no rules and all watch keepers just set alarms while they slept? Ironic that such an independent lot as single-handers are depending on everyone around them to care for their safety.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 08:43   #79

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
You are correct

I didn’t remember the exact spelling of the company

Works great

Curious as to what you’re using for a display?

Chart Plotter? Tablet? And also what software you’re using?

I’ve got mine running in overlay mode on

an IPad using TZiBoat and INavX

When I’m back on the boat I’m going to try “AIS Radar” app

Cheers

Neil
Always OpenCPN.

Usually on Android Tablet in cockpit. Sometimes to PC Laptop at navdesk for VDR recording (I can do this on Android Tablet, but later processing (for depths) in on my laptop so I prefer to recod (VDR) on laptop.

(I have also had TwinYakker work with Navionics on my Android tablet - - as a test - - but I'm not a fan of Navionics.)
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2021, 13:34   #80

Boat: Ericson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by leandroflaherty View Post
Another thing to consider for AIS, more than once, I have seen fishing vessels spoof their AIS location.. so do keep watch regardless..
Curious as to which transponders they're using. Certified Class A units (and Class B) are required to error out if the position fed to them is more than a certain distance away from the position reported by their internal GPS receiver. They must have an internal GPS for timing purposes, plus the check on position.

The only exception to this are warships, which have transponders that can spoof location, MMSI, generate false targets, and various other "fun" things. But those transponders are controlled goods.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 16:46   #81

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I have an AIT-2000 by yacht devices. It also has a silent switch hookup. I wired it to a toggle switch with a LED light on the end of the toggle. Red is OFF (not transmitting), White is ON (transmitting). My practice is to always transmit when I am at sea, but to turn off the transmitter when I am anchored or in a marina because I feel too many AIS targets on the screen which are not underway clog up the display, so I turn off my transmitter when not underway to help others get a more clear picture of actual traffic.

However, most, but not all, AIS displays (including OCPN) have an option to disable display of vessels NOT underway, which I highly recommend. I suspect a lot of people are not aware of this feature even when it is available.

I think AIS is a great tool which has added to my perceived safety at sea, and I don't see why someone would ever want to disable transmit, when at sea, in good weather or any weather, because accidents/collisions can happen even in good weather (something which I have first hand experience with). It's like having a radar, but not turning it on (again, something which I have first hand experience with) - it's not going to help you if it's not on.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 03:49   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I don't see why someone would ever want to disable transmit
It's not so much the wife or the girlfriend knowing where you are and where you've been and when, it's the wife AND the girlfriend knowing where you are and where you've been and when.

Them and the boss, and his boss and uncle Tom Cobley and all.
grahamj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 04:47   #83

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

"Manually" switching off transmit for any reason, other than sailing in known pirate areas, is a recipe for disaster. You WILL at some point forget to switch it back on. Single handers relay on other people to not hit them so why make them work harder than necessary. Two single handers with the same mindset... good luck with that..... maybe two less to worry about.

Safety at sea is paramount and is no place for phobias.

I have a personal knowledge of a single hander who refused to use nav lights because of the battery draw (so not without reason) he was on watch when a much faster fully crewed yacht with lights who were keeping watch were unable to see him and broad sided him in the middle of the night throwing him across the cockpit and because of their autopilot trying to maintain course it broadsided him a second time.

Not keeping watch is bad enough, not using every means available to prevent an accident that may cause the loss of life, not just yours, is reckless and even ignoring the legal ramifications is an insult to fellow mariners.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:28   #84

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

When I'm ashore I don't want my every step tracked and displayed on a web page. Why would I want that when I'm on the boat?
If I had a AIS transceiver the transmit would be off except when really needed or so far away from land based AIS that I could not be tracked anyway.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 07:46   #85

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupaia View Post
I have a personal knowledge of a single hander who refused to use nav lights because of the battery draw (so not without reason)...
That's a special kind of stupid.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:00   #86

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Wife?
or ex-Wife
Old 31-12-2021, 11:29   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
That's a special kind of stupid.

Many years ago came within seconds of a head on collision in the middle of the night with a boat sailing without lights and apparently no one on watch. This was halfway between the Windward Passage and Jamaica so miles from any major shipping channel.

Guess he thought no one else would be out there. Good thing we were keeping watch.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 16:36   #88
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
When I'm ashore I don't want my every step tracked and displayed on a web page. Why would I want that when I'm on the boat?
If I had a AIS transceiver the transmit would be off except when really needed or so far away from land based AIS that I could not be tracked anyway.

Sheesh , so you’ll compromise everyone’s safety to feed your paranoia !!!!
Old 01-01-2022, 08:18   #89

Boat: Trident marine Voyager 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Sheesh , so you’ll compromise everyone’s safety to feed your paranoia !!!!
No paranoia but I don't want my every move showing on marinetraffic and other sites for years to come.
No safety has been compromised. I'm perfectly capable of tracking other boats by eyeball or radar.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:58   #90
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
No paranoia but I don't want my every move showing on marinetraffic and other sites for years to come.
No safety has been compromised. I'm perfectly capable of tracking other boats by eyeball or radar.
Again you miss the point. Ais is there to let others know where you are. If everyone had your attitude AIS would be useless, you are needlessly compromising other peoples security too

Tags
ais