Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2021, 00:10   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
I知 anti AIS. BUT......

Well, I think I’ve had a change of heart about AIS.

I don’t like it. I don’t want to broadcast my information anywhere. BUT, I’d like to do some more overnight (Multi day) passages on the busy east coast of the USA than I used to.

I also recall a thread here recently where some beginners were talking about their overnight trip nose down in the electronics. Frightening. But if you can’t beat em, join em.

I want to be able to doze off and have an electronic means of helping with vessel proximity alerts.

To my understanding, radar and AIS are our only current way of doing this, right?

What is the lowest cost combined radar/AIS unit that will allow me to set a proximity alarm to wake me if something gets close during a cat nap? I would like it to transmit AIS as well as receive. I would only want to transmit AIS at night or in awful visibility since daytime and nice weather, I’m still kind of anti AIS.

Note: I do NOT have a chart plotter system yet, but have always used a Mac computer for that with MacENC. This time, I’ll use whatever software works best with free raster charts and this low cost radar/AIS.

Note: my vhf has AIS receiver capabilities already. I imagine that’s receive only.

Any ideas on the cheapest way to set these safety features up currently?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 00:36   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: I知 anti AIS. BUT......

Don't rely on any electronic aids to wake you up in case of danger. They help a lot, but they are not a substitute for a proper watch. Not all vessels transmit AIS, and radar isn't infallible. Not all hazards you should be aware of are even vessels at all.

AIS black box will give data to a chart plotter. If you don't have and don't want a chart plotter, then you will need a freestanding AIS unit like a Vesper. These can be configured with alarms when a vessel (only one which is broadcasting, which excludes most fishing vessels, many smaller vessels, most military vessels, and a few larger vessels) is predicted to pass within x miles in less than y minutes (you can set x and y yourself).

This is separate from radar guard zones, which I presume you know how to set.

"Combined radar/AIS" is combined only in the display, and that is only if you have a networked radar/display and a black box AIS. You automatically get a chart plotter with this, and that is what I would recommend. If you use a cheap plotter/MFD like the B&G Vulcan ones, it's not really more expensive than doing AIS and radar freestanding, and it works better, and you get a plotter, a real rugged waterproof marine one, not a fragile home computer.

If you catch a sale, you could probably acquire the radar, plotter/MFD, and AIS black box for $2000 to $2500.

You can also buy used from someone who is going to a newer generation. That will be cheaper still. So a Zeus II or Vulcan II, 3G or 4G radar, and some kind of AIS black box, used, might be half of the cost stated above. I probably wouldn't do that, as Navico support for previous generation gear is poor, but on a really tight budget that might be the way to go.

Similar situation with analogous Raymarine or Garmin gear.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 00:52   #3

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Well, I think I致e had a change of heart about AIS.

I don稚 like it. I don稚 want to broadcast my information anywhere. BUT, I壇 like to do some more overnight (Multi day) passages on the busy east coast of the USA than I used to.

I also recall a thread here recently where some beginners were talking about their overnight trip nose down in the electronics. Frightening. But if you can稚 beat em, join em.

I want to be able to doze off and have an electronic means of helping with vessel proximity alerts.

To my understanding, radar and AIS are our only current way of doing this, right?

What is the lowest cost combined radar/AIS unit that will allow me to set a proximity alarm to wake me if something gets close during a cat nap? I would like it to transmit AIS as well as receive. I would only want to transmit AIS at night or in awful visibility since daytime and nice weather, I知 still kind of anti AIS.

Note: I do NOT have a chart plotter system yet, but have always used a Mac computer for that with MacENC. This time, I値l use whatever software works best with free raster charts and this low cost radar/AIS.

Note: my vhf has AIS receiver capabilities already. I imagine that痴 receive only.

Any ideas on the cheapest way to set these safety features up currently?
Hi Chotu, I loved our AIS but was always mindful as Dockkead has said the AIS is an aid. Nothing more accurate than your eyes and ears. If your single handling a timer is a great took to wake you if sleeping on watch on offshore journeys. (check recent thread on what happens when you dont keep a proper lookout and a Carrier hits you )

My observations while cruising is that man boats have AIS but do not transmit (I am sure they have their reasons) Its a blessing when a commercial vessel will contact you by name to ascertain your intentions due to your AIS signal being transmitted. I believe that you can get AIS systems that you can connect to you laptop program and also units that you can turn off your transmit as well.

Just a little story of us going an overnighter. Both the radar and the AIS indicated one vessel coming towards us. About a nautical mile off the image split into two vessels. Turned out two large commercial vessels travelling one behind the other. False signals can occur. Just my 2 cents worth

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 01:00   #4

I’ve been sailing without either of these things for 30 years.

If you are single handing you are sleeping.

I’m looking for specific brands/packages and setups that are a low price to use just as a proximity alarm.

Thank you.
Old 16-12-2021, 01:14   #5
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

I am not sure you can get a cheap Rader set-up but a stand alone AIS you can.

Have a look at Onwa AIS/plotter. We have one as a spare plotter down below. They have basic charts built in.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 01:54   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:

I don稚 like it (AIS). I don稚 want to broadcast my information anywhere...
Note: my vhf has AIS receiver capabilities already. I imagine that痴 receive only.
If you're wanting to avoid the rest of the world knowing your whereabouts, then a sailing boat - particularly offshore - is as good a choice as any and as you rightly note an AIS transmitter will seriously undermine that ability to stay 'off grid'.
But beyond that, you need to think about getting that VHF radio off the boat too; people equipped with RDF equipment can track/find you via that and it's certainly something available to the Authorities, in fact I'd suspect that all the Coastguard and similar vessels are so equipped; it's often useful in locating vessels that get into distress at sea.
But given your phobia about the broadcasting your information, I'm guessing that even in that scenario, being found/rescued would be incompatible with your wishes? You wouldn't want 'the man' being able to find you
Old 16-12-2021, 02:08   #7

For that you only Need AIS RECEIVE. So, get a Quark multiplexor for $120, a reconditioned iPad for $90, and a Furuno First watch Blue tooth radar for $900 and then Navionics. Simple install. It's all plug and play. Want a little redundancy? get an iPhone and SH VHF with built in AIS and GPS. Bing Bong!
Russian007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 02:36   #8

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

Normally there is a "silent mode" on the AIS so you can receive without sending your position.
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 02:44   #9

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recy View Post
Normally there is a "silent mode" on the AIS so you can receive without sending your position.
Using the silent mode would be counterproductive to the aim of being safe from hitting (or being hit by) boats you do not see.
Old 16-12-2021, 02:51   #10

My post is about ADDING AIS TRANSMISSION TO MY BOAT, or can’t you read??

Why don’t you put your money where your big mouth is and post your home address up here for us if you are such an enthusiast about sharing personal information with the public?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
If you're wanting to avoid the rest of the world knowing your whereabouts, then a sailing boat - particularly offshore - is as good a choice as any and as you rightly note an AIS transmitter will seriously undermine that ability to stay 'off grid'.
But beyond that, you need to think about getting that VHF radio off the boat too; people equipped with RDF equipment can track/find you via that and it's certainly something available to the Authorities, in fact I'd suspect that all the Coastguard and similar vessels are so equipped; it's often useful in locating vessels that get into distress at sea.
But given your phobia about the broadcasting your information, I'm guessing that even in that scenario, being found/rescued would be incompatible with your wishes? You wouldn't want 'the man' being able to find you
Old 16-12-2021, 02:56   #11

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Chotu, I once had a really eye-opening experience in the Baltic Sea.

Sailing between Denmark and Germany close to one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world sea fog creept in on my rapidly.
While I gave out some warning messages over VHF and had at least a radar reflector it was a very worrying situation. Luckily the mist lifted after tacking back towards Denmark.
The whole situation was not very amusing.

Because I did not had the budget for AIS and Radar before going on the trip it caused me a lot of stress and I bought an AIS transceiver immediately thereafter in the next port even though it was a financial backset.

While AIS has its limitations, it is a very helpful thing to have in these kind of situations.
Later I spoke to some captains of commercial vessels and they confirmed that it is a very good means to make them aware of your presence in such weather.
As it gives also your vessels name they can directly contact you by radio as well.
Old 16-12-2021, 02:58   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post
For that you only Need AIS RECEIVE. So, get a Quark multiplexor for $120, a reconditioned iPad for $90, and a Furuno First watch Blue tooth radar for $900 and then Navionics. Simple install. It's all plug and play. Want a little redundancy? get an iPhone and SH VHF with built in AIS and GPS. Bing Bong!
This is pretty good! Basically what I have in mind, except I am looking to transmit AIS data when conditions warrant it.

Foggy? Dark? Otherwise limited visibility? I値l transmit. Then when it痴 nice out and daytime with minimal cat naps going on, I値l go dark on AIS for privacy.

Is there an AIS transponder that works in this fashion? That I can just turn off the transmission part sometimes yet keep the receiver operating?
Old 16-12-2021, 03:04   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Chotu, I once had a really eye-opening experience in the Baltic Sea.

Sailing between Denmark and Germany close to one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world sea fog creept in on my rapidly.
While I gave out some warning messages over VHF and had at least a radar reflector it was a very worrying situation. Luckily the mist lifted after tacking back towards Denmark.
The whole situation was not very amusing.

Because I did not had the budget for AIS and Radar before going on the trip it caused me a lot of stress and I bought an AIS transceiver immediately thereafter in the next port even though it was a financial backset.

While AIS has its limitations, it is a very helpful thing to have in these kind of situations.
Later I spoke to some captains of commercial vessels and they confirmed that it is a very good means to make them aware of your presence in such weather.
As it gives also your vessels name they can directly contact you by radio as well.

Yep. Been doing that for 30 years now crossing the approach lanes of some of the more busy harbors in the world. In the fog. I grew up sailing in extremely foggy areas (Maine). I don’t get nervous about it. I stay quiet and listen to what’s going on around me, sound the proper signals and do just fine avoiding the traffic.

BUT... single handing at night on longer trips? I’d like the added security of a proximity alarm.

I know several commercial bridge officers. When near the actual harbor, they don’t look at the 65,000 little boats clogging the harbor with AIS broadcasts. They ignore those. They expect you to move.

I’m not sure what you were worried about. Proper seamanship is crossing the shipping lane at a 90 degree angle. Inbound and outbound lanes are clearly defined, so you know exactly where the big boats are coming from already. You just listen carefully and scoot across the lane.

It’s the dopes our there with heads buried in the computers you need to fear. Far more chance of them coming at you from a weird angle and not seeing you. That’s why I’m looking to transmit AIS in poor visibility single handed situations. They are more numerous every day. They don’t look up from the screen. So, I’d like to show up on the screen when I’m in a position that I can’t see them due to restricted visibility or taking a cat nap.
Old 16-12-2021, 03:10   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian007 View Post

Cheap for sure, but yikes.

To go without a plotter/MFD he can use OpenCPN, which has a good radar plug-in. This works with a number of radars, but I can tesitfy that it works flawlessly with the Navico 3G and 4G radars. A used 3G radome will be dirt cheap and works pretty well.

OpenCPN can also use data from a black box AIS.

But a 7" Vulcan or Zeus MFD, especially one which is a generation or two obsolete, will cost peanuts, and is vastly better than using a fragile home computer or IPad.

AIS Type B has been replaced with a new type some call B+. B+ is better, but B is good enough. These are being sold cheap as they are now obsolete. Used will be even cheaper, but make sure you can still put your MMSI into it -- some of them can only be reprogrammed once before going back to the factory.

If you are going to be single handing and not always keeping a watch (which I don't recommend), then you REALLY want to be broadcasting AIS so that people see you. You really should not use a receive-only AIS.

You will also want to be sure that your radar reflector is up to snuff.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2021, 03:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I知 anti AIS. BUT......

Quote:
This is pretty good! Basically what I have in mind, except I am looking to transmit AIS data when conditions warrant it.

Foggy? Dark? Otherwise limited visibility? I値l transmit. Then when it痴 nice out and daytime with minimal cat naps going on, I値l go dark on AIS for privacy.

Is there an AIS transponder that works in this fashion? That I can just turn off the transmission part sometimes yet keep the receiver operating?
Yes...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R (1).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	249878  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais