Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2019, 06:38   #1

IC-M93D MMSI question

Hi! concerning the ICOM IC-M93D Marine VHF : I consider buying one, and I understand that when activating it for the first time you are entering the MMSI #.
The thing is that I do not own a boat and I am sailing on different boats.
My question is: is it mandatory to enter an MMSI or can I skip this step when activating this ICOM for the first time, and just use its all other features.
Thanks.
UDIU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 08:02   #2

Re: IC-M93D MMSI question

The ITU DSC regulation (ITU-R Rec M.493-15) states "If the MMSI has not been configured, the equipment will display a warning that the unit will not transmit any DSC calls until own ship’s MMSI is entered. The equipment should stay in this state until the operator confirms he has read the display and input own ship’s MMSI." So hopefully you should be OK not entering own ship MMSI assuming the handheld's voice transceiver works OK

The ITU has set up MMSIs intended to cover your situation using a in using a VHF handheld on more than one vessel. However for those in the US, the FCC has yet to establish a process in the US for using those ITU-defined VHF handheld MMSIs.

The Coast Guard has recommended a workaround in their MMSI webpage here: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi, though that workaround may not apply your case. For now you may be better off avoiding programing an own ship MMSI.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 14:56   #3

Thanks. my main concern is really just to understand that all functions except MMSI/DSC will be active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
The ITU DSC regulation (ITU-R Rec M.493-15) states "If the MMSI has not been configured, the equipment will display a warning that the unit will not transmit any DSC calls until own ship’s MMSI is entered. The equipment should stay in this state until the operator confirms he has read the display and input own ship’s MMSI." So hopefully you should be OK not entering own ship MMSI assuming the handheld's voice transceiver works OK

The ITU has set up MMSIs intended to cover your situation using a in using a VHF handheld on more than one vessel. However for those in the US, the FCC has yet to establish a process in the US for using those ITU-defined VHF handheld MMSIs.

The Coast Guard has recommended a workaround in their MMSI webpage here: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtmmsi, though that workaround may not apply your case. For now you may be better off avoiding programing an own ship MMSI.
Old 13-09-2019, 16:24   #4

That of course may depend upon the manufacturer, but you should be OK. Easy enough to check.

It's in fact best you don't enter a number for now. Once you do, it's very difficult to change or correct it later. Standard procedure is to mail it back to the manufacturer to rest it.
joehersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2019, 18:28   #5

I checked also with West Marine that confirmed that there shouldn't be a problem besides maybe an alert from time to time about the absence of MMSI #
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehersey View Post
That of course may depend upon the manufacturer, but you should be OK. Easy enough to check.

It's in fact best you don't enter a number for now. Once you do, it's very difficult to change or correct it later. Standard procedure is to mail it back to the manufacturer to rest it.