Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 23:00   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: ICOM m710 not transmitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Apparently the M710 is a SSB only radio and cannot transmit on ham frequencies? Page 23 of my manual lists the available transmit frequencies which do not include any of the ham nets. Bummer. Makes me wonder why I got my ham license.
No, makes me wonder why you bought a 710 instead of a proper Ham radio with the ability to tune throughout the HF frequency spectrum. The idiot proof, push a button for a preprogrammed channel sucks when it comes to the wide range of the Ham radio frequencies.

FWIW, HF transceivers, either marine or ham, are SSB radios that transmit in the HF frequency spectrum. Seems like the pushbutton set has forgotten that the are really 'Marine' SSB HF radios because of their relatively limited ability to vary the frequencies utilized..

The ICOM 802 has the ability to easily access and tune through the ham spectrum as well as the marine frequencies, FWIU. Unfortunately they are a bit pricey even used.

Does anyone have a list of what, if any other than the 802, Marine HF radios can be used like a Ham radio with the ability to easily tune through the frequencies, not limited to preprogrammed frequencies. Obviously, the ICOM 710 isn't one of them and the ICOM 802 is too expensive for some of us.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 23:06   #17

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

Apparently you need a software program and special cable assembly.
Unfortunately, I think you may be right.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 23:06   #18

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The ham bands below 10 mhz are Lower side band.

ICOM M710 and amateur radio - Page 4
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 23:16   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post

Does anyone have a list of what, if any other than the 802, Marine HF radios can be used like a Ham radio with the ability to easily tune through the frequencies, not limited to preprogrammed frequencies. Obviously, the ICOM 710 isn't one of them and the ICOM 802 is too expensive for some of us.
I can't think of any.
My 710 was opened up for Ham frequencies maybe 15 or more years ago. I do remember that a cloning cable was involved and that possibly an old DOS program was also involved. I would find a dealer and get them to do it. They could also put in a range of net frequencies at the same time.

Even then it will always be clunky putting in other frequencies 'on the fly'.

I simply run 2 separate radio stations, (Pactor)/710/AT130/Backstay and 706 (with diode snip)/AT140/whip.

For the OP I would replace the 706 with a 718... they are as cheap as.....
Old 30-03-2016, 04:21   #20
Eternal Member

mikereed100,

Don't despair....the 710 CAN be programmed to work on the ham bands.

It seems that yours may need to be "opened up" by resetting the frequency ranges for the user programmable channels. This can be done in software using the old DOS program EX1726 which can be found online. It's somewhat arcane, but it does work. To use it, though, you'll have to buy or fabricate a cloning cable.

However, before you decide that is necessary, retrace your steps in manually programming. The process is tricky. Be absolutely sure you use the correct keypad strokes and sequence. It's confusing and easy to screw up.

Wish you (or the radio) were here in the DC area....I'd do it for you.

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 04:28   #21
Eternal Member

roverhi and El Pinguino...

There are several marine radios with VFOs which make tuning the ham bands pretty easy.

Already mentioned is the M-802. The M700Pro can do this, too. My favorite is the Kenwood TKM-707, and the Yaesu FT-600 (AKA System 600) is a close second. There may be others. These last two are not ideal for digital modes, though. I have a FT-600 on my boat, and have made it work with Pactor modems. So, too, has a friend on a nearby boat. The TKM-707 can be made to work on digital modes, too, but some adaptation is required.

The M700Pro and M-802 work very well with the digital modes, as does the M710.

If you need detailed info on any of this (M710 programming steps with the cloning cable, setting up the ham bands on the M710, etc.) I have some text documents which can help. Just email me: bill at wdsg dot com.

Bill
WA6CCA
Old 30-03-2016, 04:56   #22

Boat: Mirage 35

Just a thought: the problem / diagnosis here could well be added to http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nt-154642.html
Old 30-03-2016, 05:49   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Mike,

The Icom-M710 can be "opened up" to transmit on any frequency between 1.6 and 30 MHz. Detailed and simple instructions for doing so are on the internet.

What is your amateur call sign?

Bill
AK4PO
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:49   #24

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
mikereed100,

Don't despair....the 710 CAN be programmed to work on the ham bands.

It seems that yours may need to be "opened up" by resetting the frequency ranges for the user programmable channels. This can be done in software using the old DOS program EX1726 which can be found online. It's somewhat arcane, but it does work. To use it, though, you'll have to buy or fabricate a cloning cable.

However, before you decide that is necessary, retrace your steps in manually programming. The process is tricky. Be absolutely sure you use the correct keypad strokes and sequence. It's confusing and easy to screw up.

Wish you (or the radio) were here in the DC area....I'd do it for you.

Bill
WA6CCA
Thanks Bill, I wish I were in the DC area as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
Just a thought: the problem / diagnosis here could well be added to http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nt-154642.html
Unfortunately, I blunder like this on a daily basis. One must first have confidence in one's abilities in order to be embarrassed when they fail him. I am reminded that John (or Bill, or both) often point out that 90% of HF radio problems on board are operator induced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Mike,

The Icom-M710 can be "opened up" to transmit on any frequency between 1.6 and 30 MHz. Detailed and simple instructions for doing so are on the internet.

What is your amateur call sign?

Bill
AK4PO
KK6YAN. Brand new, still shiney and never been used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
No, makes me wonder why you bought a 710 instead of a proper Ham radio with the ability to tune throughout the HF frequency spectrum.
Too true. I had assumed that, the 710 being so ubiquitous among cruisers, that the radio came with the ability to transmit on all frequencies and that it was up to me to stay off the ham frequencies until I got my license.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:55   #25
Eternal Member

Mike,

As Bill, AK4PO, says...there are instructions on the Net for "opening up" the M710. However, these require cutting of diodes. In my experience, this isn't necessary, as the frequency ranges can be set in software, using the cloning program.

As I said above, send me an email and I'll forward to you detailed info re: cloning, the cloning cable, etc.

Congrats on the shiny new callsign!

Bill
WA6CCA

bill at wdsg dot com
Old 30-03-2016, 08:38   #26

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
KK6YAN. Brand new, still shiney and never been used.

Too true. I had assumed that, the 710 being so ubiquitous among cruisers, that the radio came with the ability to transmit on all frequencies and that it was up to me to stay off the ham frequencies until I got my license.
A quick look shows KK6YAN to be a technician licence, do you have your general or higher?

And, Bill is right; don't cut diodes.

Bill
AK4PO
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom