Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2020, 11:41   #31

Boat: Lancer 27PS
Re: Icom M802 as Ham radio

Brilliant! Thanks much Ed!

Mod, is there a way to edit the post title and add "Solved: see post #30"?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 14:00   #32

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.D View Post
Brilliant! Thanks much Ed!

Mod, is there a way to edit the post title and add "Solved: see post #30"?

No, this way is more fun, lots of people get to keep offering advice even though the problem is solved, including plenty telling you it can’t be solved, a few that will tell you why it doesn’t matter and a whole lot who will tell you to buy a different radio.
Old 09-04-2020, 16:05   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
No, this way is more fun, lots of people get to keep offering advice even though the problem is solved, including plenty telling you it can’t be solved, a few that will tell you why it doesn’t matter and a whole lot who will tell you to buy a different radio.
ROFLMAO. Yeah, they won't read any of the posts just offer their advice. Brilliant!
Old 10-04-2020, 09:18   #34

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmundsteele View Post
I repeated the procedure to switch the radio to “Open” mode and this time it works as advertised, that is the RX and TX frequencies now change together.

The set of instructions I have been using claimed that if the caret symbol does not appear when you press the CLAR/RX button, then the radio is in closed mode. This was not true with my radio.

All good now! Thank you all!
Ed
Excellent!!! Really glad this worked out for you Ed.

Have fun with the radio! Make sure your ground plane is solid and you have a great setup.
Old 13-04-2020, 07:23   #35

Quote:
I salvaged an Icom M802 from a boat that was damaged in Hurricane Maria and I have finally got it hooked up to a Cobweb antenna on the roof of my onshore home (the original marine whip antenna with radials just did not fly). This operation has been greatly assisted by the coronavirus curfew, although my soldering iron is still trapped on the boat.

The radio has been switched into “Open / dial Mode” so that it can be tuned to Ham frequencies. Tuning the "receive" to a specific frequency is easy enough, my question is on the "transmit" frequency. Must I always “save” or overwrite one of the pre-programmed marine channels with the desired receive frequency before I can set the transmit frequency, or is there some other way to do this?
Ed

I have the ICOM802 and the AT-140 tuner and once you dial,in the frequency it stay there until you change it. Check out
KISS-SSB TM for a counter poise 73’s KJ4UGE
CHIEF ENGR BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 15:03   #36

Good call @GILow!
Old 13-04-2020, 19:38   #37

Boat: Catalina 470

Ed,
First off, I'm glad you've got it all figured out!! Congrats!!

But, I kinda' wish I had been around here a few days ago....or wished that you look at some of the links in the stickies above, or done a quick search here 'abouts....cuz it could've saved time...

It was over 5 years ago here that I posted this procedure....
Have a look....
Icom M-802 "Open Mode" (Open/Ham/Dial vs. Standard "marine mode")
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...de-135751.html

Quote:
I repeated the procedure to switch the radio to “Open” mode and this time it works as advertised, that is the RX and TX frequencies now change together.

The set of instructions I have been using claimed that if the caret symbol does not appear when you press the CLAR/RX button, then the radio is in closed mode. This was not true with my radio.

All good now! Thank you all!
Ed
Quote:
To operate the M802 as a ham radio:

1) With radio turned off, hold down 2, Mode and TX keys at the same time and turn the radio on.

To check that the radio really is in the “Open” mode:

2) Toggle the FREQ/CH button so that the RX and TX frequencies are displayed.

3) Press the CLAR/RX button. The RX symbol at the top becomes RX> (that’s a caret) AND the rightmost digit of the RX frequency has an underscore.

4) Turn the right knob. If both the RX frequency and TX frequency displayed change together, the radio is in “Open” mode.

There are several sets of instructions on the internet that cover programming the User Group Channels but the instructions I found for checking that the radio really is in the Open mode were incomplete or in error.
Ed
But, now that you've got this problem sorted-out, please take a look at those stickies, understand that your older M-802 may need the "clipping mod" done, and/or need its "speech compression" turned on....

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tc-133496.html

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...tc-198305.html

Also, have a look at some Youtube Playlists about the M-802, etc...

Icom M-802 Instruction Videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

Fyi, for anyone interested in this specific subject, the fourth and eighth video in that playlist, show the "vfo mode" / "user channels" and "channel programming"....I do hope you watch 'em all (after all we're all on Covid lock-down), but if your really just want to see just the channel programming, look at the eighth video, from 9:00 min on to end...

And, for more M-802, DSC, Maritime, Weather, etc. info / explanations / etc....have a look here:

HF-DSC Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ga2zYuPozhUXZX

Maritime HF Comms
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZDo_Jk3NB_Bt1y

Offshore Weather
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...zdjTJjHlChruyY

Offshore Sailing
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...KgTCj15iyl6qoY

Please remember that these videos are free for your personal use, and there is nobody selling you anything at all....just free information....

And, also...please understand that these are done LIVE, as it happens, in the real world, on a real offshore cruising boat (at the dock), with real-world, LIVE examples, just like everyone on-board uses their radios (there are no simulations, nor script, nor director....just my radios, my narration, and my fingers...

I do hope some of what I write here helps?

Fair winds.

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 18:22   #38

Late to the discussion here, but I can confirm the bug Ed found. I too have had to ‘re’-set open mode on my 802 to get fully into open mode. Been a few years now, but I believe I saw the exact same behavior Ed described. i.e. not really in open mode, but no carrot
LagoonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 21:42   #39

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagoonJim View Post
Late to the discussion here, but I can confirm the bug Ed found. I too have had to ‘re’-set open mode on my 802 to get fully into open mode. Been a few years now, but I believe I saw the exact same behavior Ed described. i.e. not really in open mode, but no carrot

I suspect the same happened to me too. It would explain why the symptoms described by the OP were familiar.
Old 14-04-2020, 23:09   #40

FYI....two extra things, neither of great importance to most, but why not...

If you do wish to program one of your user channels as "duplex"....you follow the same procedure as simplex, and then add the transmit freq...

First make sure you're in the "Open Mode"....
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...de-135751.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka4wja View Post
In brief, you're turning the radio OFF...
Then pressing and holding down three different buttons, and then while holding those three buttons down, pressing the power button, turning the radio ON....

And, that's it....
Your M-802 is now in "Open Mode", and you'll be able to program your "user channels" and use the "VFO mode" on the ham bands, etc...

Here is the procedure:

With the radio OFF, the three buttons you press and hold down are:
"Mode", "2", "TXF/TX"

And, while holding those buttons down, turn the radio ON by then pressing the "Power" button...
And, you're done....the radio is now on and in the "Open Mode"
1) ----- For programming a user channel as simplex:

a) Confirm that you are in "Channel" mode / Select "Channel" Mode (not "vfo" mode)

b) Select user channel you desire to program

c) Push RX / CLAR to enter "vfo" mode / freq selection mode

d)
--- Enter the exact frequency you desire via the keypad (use 4 to 6 digits)
or
--- Use Group and Channel knobs to select / change frequency
or
--- Use < and > buttons on microphone to select / change frequency

e) Press MODE button as needed to select desired operating mode (USB, LSB, FSK, AFSK, etc.)

f) Push ENT button (and hold for 1 to 2 seconds) to store all this into that specific user channel. (you should hear multiple beeps or one louder beep, and > claret symbol should disappear)

Fyi, this procedure is shown from 9min to 10min 30 secs on the eighth video in this playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rC-8QKVyMb4tVr

2) ---- Although almost unneeded these days, for programming a user channel as duplex:

[Skip steps "a" and "b" if you're programming the transmit freq of the user channel you just programmed the receive freq of, above]

a) Confirm that you are in "Channel" mode / Select "Channel" Mode (not "vfo" mode)

b) Select user channel you desire to program

c) Push TX / TXF to enter transmit freq selection mode (you should see "TX" indicator blink on and off, in the middle of the extreme left-hand side of the LCD display)

d)
--- Enter the exact frequency you desire via the keypad (use 5 to 6 digits)
or
--- Use Group and Channel knobs to select / change frequency
or
--- Use < and > buttons on microphone to select / change frequency

e) Push ENT button (and hold for 1 to 2 seconds) to store all this into that specific user channel. (you should hear multiple beeps or one louder beep, and flashing "TX" indicator should disappear, and DUP replaced SIMP on the top line of the LCD display)

3) You will also probably want to correctly label your user channels....
Yes this is also spelled out in the manual (but we all know the Icom manual sucks!)

So, here it is in a video, this procedure is shown from 10min 30 secs, to 12 min 10secs, on the eighth video in this playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLnN6ygtZ3h2npivDjoFrC-8QKVyMb4tVr

4) About 15 years ago, when discussing M-802 issues with Icom America in Wash (they were trying to figure out the APC circuit "clipping mod"), there was some back 'n forth about very early software versions (from 2003 and 2004) having some different operating functions...
Not certain if this issue could be part of that....but...

But, I do remember around that same time, Don Melcher and I speaking....and he mentioned early M-802 "marine mode" being like the M-710....and the only thing the "open mode" did was add a "vfo"....
But, when I got my first M-802 (spring of 2004), it was already in the "open mode", so I never gave it another thought...

Fair winds..

John
Old 15-04-2020, 04:50   #41

Boat: Cape Dory 28

John,
You really destroyed my “Wa” with your congratulatory email! I checked the serial number (02973) of my M-802 and found that it is really ancient and likely infected with “clipping mod” syndrome as well as speech compression deficit disorder. Then your youtube videos demonstrated that I have way too much environmental noise in my land based installation. (sigh) I should get my MFJ-259D antenna tuner today if USPS comes through and will begin there.

I have added a SignaLink USB device to my system and it is trying to work using PSK31 . The installation instructions for the SignaLink state that speech compression needs to be turned “off” and the radio set to a “data” mode with a wide filter when using PSK31 (using the DigiPan program). I have been running it with the the M-802 set to USB at 14,070 Hz. Any ideas on what mode setting the M-802 should really be in?
Ed
KD5TOO
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 09:03   #42

Ed,
In brief, the DSP-based speech compressor in the M-802 will not adversely effect digital modes (many use it with Winmor and PACTORII, III, and IV), so no need to worry about that...turn it on and go...
(just adjust your modem drive levels properly)
Fyi, the M-802 will run 150 watts PEP output in 100% duty cycle modes (like FSK), so will handle any digital modes just fine....but, remember many of them are not 100% modes, so will show less power on an average reading meter even if being driven to max output PEP...so proper adjustment of drive levels is very important!
{PACTOR-II is an approx. 50% duty-cycle mode, so "average" current draw and average power output in PACTOR-II would be about half of the FSK PACTOR-I figures....and PACTOR-III's duty-cycle varies from ~ 30% to ~65% (depending on speed), so your "average" current draw and average power output in P3, will be 30% - 65% of the FSK PACTOR-I figures...PSK31 is 100% duty cycle mode (but only on for < 30 seconds...~ 16 seconds?), so heating shouldn't be an issue, just don't overdrive the radio!!! Use proper metering!! Watch your drive levels }

As for the clipping issue....as of a year ago (last time I checked) Icom was still doing their mod to the APC circuit (the "clipping mod") for free....
Give 'em a call and ask....

Regarding the Signal Link and PSK31?
I haven't a clue, never used it with a M-802...but assume it will work fine?
Btw, if you want best overall digital comms (not my interest), use the AF/Mod connection of the M-802 (configure in menus), this will give you easiest and best configuration......and use the "email" mode rather than voice mode, this will give you ability to select the widest IF bandwidth available (2800hz vs. the 2400hz in USB or LSB), and will give you all the PSK, etc. memory channels you'll ever need, and still allow you to use the rest of the radio easy-peasy...
Icom designed the radio to do this, why not take advantage?

Hope this help.

Fair winds...

John
Old 20-04-2020, 18:00   #43

Boat: Fast Passage 39

@edmundsteele How do you have the signalink hooked up to the M802? What cables to what ports?

Quote:
John,
You really destroyed my “Wa” with your congratulatory email! I checked the serial number (02973) of my M-802 and found that it is really ancient and likely infected with “clipping mod” syndrome as well as speech compression deficit disorder. Then your youtube videos demonstrated that I have way too much environmental noise in my land based installation. (sigh) I should get my MFJ-259D antenna tuner today if USPS comes through and will begin there.

I have added a SignaLink USB device to my system and it is trying to work using PSK31 . The installation instructions for the SignaLink state that speech compression needs to be turned “off” and the radio set to a “data” mode with a wide filter when using PSK31 (using the DigiPan program). I have been running it with the the M-802 set to USB at 14,070 Hz. Any ideas on what mode setting the M-802 should really be in?
Ed
KD5TOO
maregan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 03:06   #44

Boat: Cape Dory 28

The SignaLink is plugged into the "Acc" port via the supplied cable #SLCAB8PD.

I am currently waiting on the delivery of 6 feet of RG-8X so that I can connect my antenna tuner to the feed line and get it adjusted. Coronavirus blues....
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 10:20   #45

Take a look at the thread about Icom M803 integration with a RigPi for remote control for the M802. Identical setup will work for the M802 but the connector cable pinouts may be different. The rig control interface (rigctl) for the M802 has been supported for some time in HamLib. Rigctl from hamlib is a service daemon that the multiple applications can connect to control of the radio.

The RigPi was made by HAMs for remote control of their rigs and has a sound card interface and WinKeyer 3 chip. RigPi also adds a bunch of ham applications for digital modes, logging, VFO tuning, morse code, etc. You can have full control of your radio from your phone or remote device using a software VFO tuning knob, PTT button, and 2-way audio.

Im not saying its perfect by any means, but its a good start to allowing HAM operators to use Marine SSB radios as HAM radios.

Kube is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom, radio