Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2012, 08:42   #1

Boat: Pearson, P367 36ft - Audrey
ICOM M802 SSB radio and MAC

Does anyone know how to connect a MAC computer to an ICOM M802 SSB radio?
I had successfully connected the radio via an FM modulator and a serial to USB cable using Weatherfax 2000 and a pc notebook.
I've now switched all my nav software to mac and this is the last piece.
I've heard it can be done, but is complicated to set up initially?
Any suggestions, thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

Jon
s/v Audrey
jongroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 08:20   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: ICOM M802 SSB radio and MAC

What are you trying to accomplish? Just weather fax? Are you running VMWare for Windows? Are you trying to connect to a PACTOR modem? Have you found native Mac software for weather fax?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 11:13   #3

Boat: Pearson, P367 36ft - Audrey
Hi Auspicious, thanks for the response.
I'm only interested in Wx fax and have the Mac version of Wx Fax 2000. I'm not running any other software although I do have a copy of Zterm.
I simply want to use the ICOM speaker output via an FM demodulator to get the fax, and also control the radio via the Icom serial port with a serial to UDB adapter.
Thx
Jon
jongroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2012, 12:04   #4

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I would like to know the answer to this question too!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 03:07   #5

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

This should pretty much just work on the Mac if it all worked on the PC. You should have one cable from an audio source (the headphone jack on the remote head, the speaker output on the radio, or the ACC connector on the radio) through the demodulator to either a serial port or a USB cable and onto the laptop; the former will require a serial-USB adapter. The other cable runs from the remote connection on the radio through a serial-USB adapter to the laptop.

I don't see WX FAX 2000 much--there are simpler solutions for Windows--but from there is should just be a matter of configuring the software. If the Mac version of the software does not have a way to hunt for the proper USB interfaces you'll have to figure out what is connected to which port in the Mac control panel -- I don't know how to do that without more research.

Absent the port part, if I have answered your question we can take another run at it.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 04:16   #6

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

You don't mention the model Mac you are using, but if you are trying to use the Line-in, it will not work. The Line-in is not amplified and will only work with an already amplified signal. You will need a USB sound adapter.
Old 02-01-2013, 17:56   #7

Boat: Irwin, 43MKIII, 43

I am assuming you have the software version of WinFax 2000 that lets you use audio in. You can use the earphone jack out, to the microphone in jack on the MAC. The key is to use a mono jack at the headphones. A stereo jack is fine at the computer. The winFax needs to be set up to use the microphone jack in as the source. Use the volume control to set the level.

I assume you are running a Windows software on the Mac to run WinFax 2000?? I have used WinFAX 2000 and it does supports control of the Icom IC M802 with a serial cable to the Remote Control Jack on the Transceiver box. This is a 9 pin RS232 connection so you need to use a RS232 to USB converter. Get a good one as some of the cheap ones at radio shack do not always work. The critical part here is the USB/RS232 converter driver. In past experience some of the converters are version dependent. unit and windows version.

I hope that helps
TL Sparks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongroom View Post
Hi Auspicious, thanks for the response.
I'm only interested in Wx fax and have the Mac version of Wx Fax 2000. I'm not running any other software although I do have a copy of Zterm.
I simply want to use the ICOM speaker output via an FM demodulator to get the fax, and also control the radio via the Icom serial port with a serial to UDB adapter.
Thx
Jon
TLSparks is offline   Reply With Quote