Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2016, 09:31   #1

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch
ICOM R75

I have an ICOM SSB connected to an insulated backstay, via an AT 130 tuner. I want to add an ICOM R75 to the mix. I have had it for a while and have not hooked it up. I also have a Perth Outbacker antenna in the locker.

Would it be prudent to run the R75 to the Perth antenna as an independent system, as opposed to trying to share the backstay?
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:38   #2

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: ICOM R75

Watchman,
While you could certainly use a good-quality coax switch (such as Daiwa CS-201) in the coax line to the AT-130, to switch between radios...this doesn't get you too much added versatility...
Although the R75 being only a receiver, I'm not clear what your precise use/application is??
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchman View Post
I have an ICOM SSB connected to an insulated backstay, via an AT 130 tuner. I want to add an ICOM R75 to the mix. I have had it for a while and have not hooked it up. I also have a Perth Outbacker antenna in the locker.

Would it be prudent to run the R75 to the Perth antenna as an independent system, as opposed to trying to share the backstay?
The answer lies with what YOU want to be able to do with the system...
Personally, I'd opt for the separate antenna mounted to the stern-rail, etc...this allows you to use both radios independently..
And, you could always just swap coax connections if desired (when/if you need your primary antenna for the R75)...

Sorry, if I haven't given you a definitive answer....but, it really depends on what you want to do with the system...

{BTW, if you had written "AT-140", I would've assumed you've got an Icom M-802, and then just mentioned that you could just use the Outbacker (tuned to 8mhz, would be a good compromise) as both your R75 antenna and as your M-802's DSC receive antenna.... }

Fair winds...

John
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:54   #3

Boat: Spencer 53 Ketch
Re: ICOM R75

Thanks John.

I am partial to redundancy. I just wasn't sure if the Outbacker was suitable for vessel reception, as opposed to a long-line.

Trying to keep my stays uncluttered, even though a separate long-wire might be superior.

Was curious if anybody in the community had experience with this antennae on a vessel and if so what type of mounting base/connection might be advisable.

If it has not proved effective, I would do as you advised and join the two radios to the tuner.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom