Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 18:05   #16

Re: Icom Radios - deterioration of microphone cable

I had it happen on a VHF also. Marinized? yeah right!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 23:09   #17

Boat: LAGOON 440

Experienced the same problem with the curly cord on an ICOM Commander unit in a boat purchased about two years ago. ICOM NZ told me that this was a common problem, and they sold me a new cord for $NZ 47 and told me how to install it. This involved taking off the back of the unit, digging out the sealant from where the cord enters the unit, taking out the old cord (pulling out a small multi pin plug), and installing the new one. The end result works and looks good, and hopefully will last.
Savanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:37   #18

ka4wja,

This is why we like this forum. Honest people helping others solve issues. I want to thank you personally on finding this out. Spring is only a few months away and I will be sure to send our command mic out to our service department in Chicago.

It is good to hear companies do the right thing and stand behind their product.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 19:24   #19
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
ka4wja,

This is why we like this forum. Honest people helping others solve issues. I want to thank you personally on finding this out. Spring is only a few months away and I will be sure to send our command mic out to our service department in Chicago.

It is good to hear companies do the right thing and stand behind their product.
Still, sending in the mike from the Caribbean costs more than a new mike so what does this help those who are out there?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 09:34   #20

s/v Jedi,

The only point I was making is, sounds like this company is willing to make right.

I can't believe a company admitting an issue with QA/QC of bad material would replace with same product that is going to fail in short order. (This would make angry people really P#^$% off and guarantee no-one buying their product).

I feel your pain on the economics but how would you be assured the replacmeent off ebay will not have the same problem this discussion forum thread is talking about. Maybe if you email them they will be willing to help you out.

Remember we unfortunatly have a bad mic too. Absolutly no affiliation with the vendor.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 10:49   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

gulfstar, this is nothing new. Plastics have had many problems over the years, particularly PVCs leaching uncured vinyl compounds, and foam rubbers crumbling into dust or goo. Many manufacturers have been surprised this way, having no idea that the issue could occur and of course, no way to confirm how the parts they subcontract out are really going to age.

It could just be a bad batch of plastic from one vendor during one period, maybe one machine set improperly during a one-week run that made cables for inventory. In which case, an "identical" new cable would be perfectly good, if the problem had been fixed.

Icom's response...I'd call it less than enthusiastic but better than many vendors who would just say "You're out of warranty, would you like to buy a new one?" (Note to Icom: You really could earn more brownie points on this!)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2013, 11:43   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC

Our RAM mic cord disintegrated also. And calls to service were pricing events only, no acknowledgement of any problem.

I still have the old RAM, will look into sending it this summer.

Not impressed
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 15:52   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots

Sorry I didn't check this link sooner re Icom 802. Just got back to NZ from the US. Same problem with Raymarine VHF cable.
Raymarine is an easy fix with the cable only, but the Icom looks like it needs soldering at or beyond my ability level. For the Icom I ordered a new mic with cable, and also just the cable, to hopefully give me a spare.
I told the service person in the US that this was a serious QC issue. He said he had heard of it, but cut no slack, or willingness to stand behind their product. This was Dec 2012.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 16:53   #24

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

UV rays from the sun, hardens rubber as it changes its chemical composition. This leads the hardened rubber into cracking or chafing. There really is no easy cure for this chemical decomposition. To retard rubber tires from breaking down from UV exposure, manufacturers add in the outer layer of the tire a chemical protectant; eventually, it too breaks down as you can see cracks in old tires. Replacing the wires on a mic is not a big deal. You just need to perfect the art of soldering; use a chisel point soldering iron, with a rosin core solder. Replace one wire at a time then heat shrink the soldered terminals using rubber sleeves to protect them from the marine environment. Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 17:31   #25

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Unfortunately, this mic cord deterioration problem is not limited to cords with UV exposure. Our HM-135 cord, in the saloon and not exposed to regular UV experienced the same problem. More likely atmospheric ozone, which is ubiquitous, is a contributor. Still, it doesn't have to happen.

I believe the current HM-135 microphones have multipin connector inside that makes replacing the cord easier. Hopefully it won't be a continuing problem.

Chip
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2013, 19:12   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You never know, Robert. If someone in your position were to gently remind Icom-America that the FTC and other agencies take a dim view of corporations which appear to be acknowledging defects and providing free replacements to some customers, while charing other uninformed customers full price for the same parts...

Someone might get the message and apologize for the uninformed rep who dealt with you. And, refund what you were charged, including shipping costs.

Sometimes they just need to be reminded that doing what is right, is also going to cost them less than being forced to do it.

What's your warranty say about manufacturing defects and such?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 08:47   #27

Boat: CSY walkover 44"
Re: Icom Radios - solution to deterioration of microphone cable?

Enclosed is the latest info.

I was contacted by Debbie Schaefer, Coordinator of the Consumer Protection Bureau - Boat US. The Letter to the Editor I sent to Boat US was forwarded to her. She contacted Icom, Harry Dhawan, Icom Technical Support Representative. "He did not deny their was a problem and sent her the link for the repair submission form consumers can fill out if they too are having a problem. He said that consumers must also send them the microphone and it’s cable, and if they find that the microphone is fine, and just the cable is bad, they will replace the cable regardless of the warranty status."

The Icom link to get this information is: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/PartsAndService/default.aspx. This site will provide a search for local service centers (in the US), instructions for returning items for repair, and the repair submission form (I've attached a copy of the form to this message).

I also gained some information from the online Cruisers Forum. One of the responses (#15) states that contacting Icom directly only results in the denial runaround that we have all been experiencing. You have to contact the Service Department, not the Tech Dept nor the Parts Dept, nor the.... My personal experience with this is the denial routine and no offer to refer you or pass your information on to the "correct" department. You can also contact the Regional Service Centers rather than Icom. This would be my choice. The good news: I emailed and spoke on the phone with Tim Warren at Williams Communications. This is the Service Center in the southeast US. His email response: "Gordon, if the cord on your microphone is deteriorating ICOM will replace it at no cost, other than shipping to me. If you are going to ship the unit to me please send me the model number so I can make sure I have a cable in stock." In a phone call I explained to Tim that I was in Guatemala and that there was no reliable way to send it from here (except at a cost higher than the mic is worth). I think we may be flying back to the states next summer and asked if this policy would still be honored. He said that "Yes, it will be". A side note. I dealt with Tim Warren in replacing the first mic that had to be replaced (under warranty). He also helped me to deal with Icom to replace the second mic (out of warranty). I found Tim to be very conscientious and helpful.

The contact information for Williams Communications: Timothy F. Warren Lead Bench Technician Williams Communications Inc. 5046 Tennessee Capital Blvd. Tallahassee, Fl. 32303 Office: 850.385.1121 Cell: 850.251.0236 Desk: 850.807.4813 Toll Free: 800.649.5783 Fax: 850.575.0346 twarren@wmscom.com

So although this doesn't help any of us cruising in "Paradise". It does offer a solution to those that can find a way to handle the shipping from the US. Again, my personal experience is that when I replaced the second mic I anticipated this situation with the third mic. I asked Icom if we shouldn't be replacing the third mic at that time since I knew I would soon be somewhere in Central America. Their response was ".........we will honor the replacement at that time" (sic). I am still pursuing this.

Gordon
s/y N-Aimless
N-Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 12:59   #28

Hi all
We are encountering the same problems with our fist mike cable. It is a Simrad RD68. What you describe is exactly what is happening to the coiled cable sheathing... started crumbling off in pieces when the radio was less than four years old. We will contact the manufacturer and see how we get on.
Old 27-11-2013, 13:49   #29

Strangely, never encountered that with the mic on my Kenwood Ham radio.... used it though ownership of two boats. But have had it happen on VHF's. Are they just using the cheapest stuff avail? I guess so. I've never felt there was anything better about an Icom over a Standard when it comes to VHF... and if this is any indication of the "cost cutting for profit" moves of that company... I guess my intuition was correct.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 13:51   #30

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots

I have been blaming the heat and humidity, and the type of rubber used. In the tropics, even plain rubber bands rot very quickly. Besides the Icom mic cable, the non-skid "rubber" on my Standard Horizon handheld VHF, and a cell phone also rotted, and they had no sun or UV exposure. My Raymarine VHF mic cable had a little indirect sun exposure.
Other types of wire covers and plastics do well, unless in direct sun; even cheap indoor extension cords.
The solder repair wasn't difficult after all.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icom