Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2013, 16:28   #31

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Re: Icom Radios - deterioration of microphone cable

The black Icom M602 microphone cable jacket disintegrated on mine. It was in the cockpit, exposed to the elements.

The white Command Mic cable remains perfect. It is in the salon, protected from the elements.

The mic cable was swapped by me w/ a replacement part purchased from the manufacturer. It is NO problem to perform the swap, unscrew, disassemble, then reassemble.

The M602 VHF radio is excellent and gets my high recommendation, even after this problem.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 07:31   #32

Boat: CSY walkover 44"
Thumbs up Re: Icom Radios -resolution to deterioration of microphone cable

After gathering information on at least two dozen other radios with the same problem and sending this info to several boating magazines, forums, etc. Ithen sent all this information directly to the President of Icom America.

Icom will now repair the problem regardless of warranty status:

Harry Dhawan, Icom Technical Support Representative. "He did not deny their was a problem and sent her the link for the repair submission form consumers can fill out if they too are having a problem. He said that consumers must also send them the microphone and it’s cable, and if they find that the microphone is fine, and just the cable is bad, they will replace the cable regardless of the warranty status."
The Icom link to get this information
is: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/support/PartsAndService/default.aspx . This site will provide a search for local service centers (in the US), instructions for returning items for repair, and the repair submission form
N-Aimless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 15:20   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Aimless View Post
After gathering information on at least two dozen other radios with the same problem and sending this info to several boating magazines, forums, etc. Ithen sent all this information directly to the President of Icom America. Icom will now repair the problem regardless of warranty status: Harry Dhawan, Icom Technical Support Representative. "He did not deny their was a problem and sent her the link for the repair submission form consumers can fill out if they too are having a problem. He said that consumers must also send them the microphone and it’s cable, and if they find that the microphone is fine, and just the cable is bad, they will replace the cable regardless of the warranty status." The Icom link to get this information is: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/suppor...e/default.aspx . This site will provide a search for local service centers (in the US), instructions for returning items for repair, and the repair submission form
Shame that the shipping cost more than the mike, let alone the cost of a good quality cord. They've really done it imo and only provider relief for those who kept it in the US. They should have used a good cord to start with.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 15:57   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
They should have used a good cord to start with.
I suspect that ICOM (and maybe other VHF makers) were shafted by a supplier who either accidentally or deliberately used an inferior plastic for the jacket.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 18:28   #35

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingless View Post
The mic cable was swapped by me w/ a replacement part purchased from the manufacturer. It is NO problem to perform the swap, unscrew, disassemble, then reassemble.
Older M802 microphones have the leads from the cable soldered directly to the microphone's PC board. I ordered a cord from Icom a bit over a year ago, and it came with the newer cord which plugs into a connector in the microphone. The wire colors are different from those on the older microphone too. I was able to figure them out and make the repair, but it sure wasn't plug and play!

Just a warning.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 18:59   #36
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"In the tropics, even plain rubber bands rot very quickly."
There's all kinds of rubber-stuff and even here in the Colonies, the rubber bands used by the postal service (bought from the lowest bidder and intended for one time use) rot and crack or turn to goo pretty quickly while others can last for years.
The OEM wiper blades for my car showed signs of rotting and getting gummy on the edges in less than a year all the time, even when not exposed to the sun. But weatherseals that were regularly ArmorAll'd went 20+ years without any deterioration.
Part of rubber and plastic stuff is that you have to choose quality for the intended purpose, and even then there's no easy way to tell if the $upplier is cheating on what they are really $upplying.

Nick, I didn't see any mention of what the shipping charges are, but in my understanding Icom-US is not the same as "Icom". Icom-US is limited to operating in the US, and their cost structure includes warranty services, etc. only to units sold in their market--the US. Most multi-national corporations set up geographic entities the same way, so it wouldn't surprise me that Icom-US is making a response limited to the only customer they are really obligated to serve: The ones in their geography.

What did they say the return shipping fees would be? Or was it the old "shipping and handling" game?

Icom (Japan) would have to pick up the ball to make it global.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 05:39   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"In the tropics, even plain rubber bands rot very quickly." There's all kinds of rubber-stuff and even here in the Colonies, the rubber bands used by the postal service (bought from the lowest bidder and intended for one time use) rot and crack or turn to goo pretty quickly while others can last for years. The OEM wiper blades for my car showed signs of rotting and getting gummy on the edges in less than a year all the time, even when not exposed to the sun. But weatherseals that were regularly ArmorAll'd went 20+ years without any deterioration. Part of rubber and plastic stuff is that you have to choose quality for the intended purpose, and even then there's no easy way to tell if the $upplier is cheating on what they are really $upplying. Nick, I didn't see any mention of what the shipping charges are, but in my understanding Icom-US is not the same as "Icom". Icom-US is limited to operating in the US, and their cost structure includes warranty services, etc. only to units sold in their market--the US. Most multi-national corporations set up geographic entities the same way, so it wouldn't surprise me that Icom-US is making a response limited to the only customer they are really obligated to serve: The ones in their geography. What did they say the return shipping fees would be? Or was it the old "shipping and handling" game? Icom (Japan) would have to pick up the ball to make it global.
Well... some of us buy their boat and gear in the US and then go cruising in the tropics. I don't see how you can't understand the logic of that. They should be willing to just send a new cord when you email a picture of the fallen apart cord, paying for the shipping cost of just that cord to wherever you are. But they don't. They require you to ship the whole mike back which can only be done with Fedex reliably at a cost of say $60-$80 for most Caribbean places. Then they need to send it back, which they do to the US... but I am in Panama, Trinidad or Grenada, or Indonesia or... see how this doesn't work on a mike which costs less to buy a new one then?

Old 29-11-2013, 05:58   #38

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
This entire discussion is making me like my cheap, bargain basement, weekend-sailor Uniden more and more.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 12:54   #39
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Nick, the fact that you've traveled far and wide with their product isn't odd, but really, would you expect them to cover global shipping costs when they are not chartered for global sales, but actually restricted to the US market? Seems unfortunate, but not illogical. You'd see the same thing in the camera or watch markets. Some makers have global warranties and service, others operate within restricted geographies. That you've found only an express courier to be reliable for shipping, again unfortunate but I clearly remember the Days Before FedEx when *nothing* got shipped overnight to much of anyplace. And shipments to "vessel in transit" routinely travelled by ship, not air.
I can't blame that on Icom. I thought you were complaining that they imposed a shipping charge on you. You might try hopping over to the USVI or PR. The USPS tends to treat our insular possessions very favorably. And oddly enough, I've found that "global priority mail" is often dirt cheap compared to ordinary post. FedEx? good lord no, that will incur brokerage charges which postal shipping often doesn't have either.
Old 29-11-2013, 14:11   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Nick, the fact that you've traveled far and wide with their product isn't odd, but really, would you expect them to cover global shipping costs when they are not chartered for global sales, but actually restricted to the US market? Seems unfortunate, but not illogical. You'd see the same thing in the camera or watch markets. Some makers have global warranties and service, others operate within restricted geographies. That you've found only an express courier to be reliable for shipping, again unfortunate but I clearly remember the Days Before FedEx when *nothing* got shipped overnight to much of anyplace. And shipments to "vessel in transit" routinely travelled by ship, not air. I can't blame that on Icom. I thought you were complaining that they imposed a shipping charge on you. You might try hopping over to the USVI or PR. The USPS tends to treat our insular possessions very favorably. And oddly enough, I've found that "global priority mail" is often dirt cheap compared to ordinary post. FedEx? good lord no, that will incur brokerage charges which postal shipping often doesn't have either.
You missed my point: they should have manufactured it right, with a quality cord that doesn't fall apart. Like others say, even Uniden mikes don't fall apart. They do not make it right by suggesting to return it from somewhere exotic and then unable to ship it back. They should have figured that this kit is for boats and boats may sail to exotic places. So, instead of paying through the nose for shipping, I decided to vote with my wallet and dumped the Icom 602 all together. The only Icom I still have is a 710RT which is old and with it's mike cord still intact.

Old 29-11-2013, 14:38   #41
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"You missed my point: they should have manufactured it right, with a quality cord that doesn't fall apart."
And you missed the one I stated quite openly. No manufacturer can be sure they have manufactured "rubber" stuff right, unless they own and operate the rubber plant, or they spend five or ten years on destructive analysis of the stuff.
I had a good brand name turntable for many years. Not super-pricey, but from a company with an extremely well respected name. And one day, I found the turntable platter (rubber pad) had turned to tarry goo. GOO?
Yes, they apologized and said they'd found out the rubber was deteriorating after some years. Nothing they could have done to prevent that, except perhaps to buy rubber from some exotic brand name company in Switzerland, or run their own factory. I can't fault them for that, at a certain point manufacturers contract things out, and these days? It isn't only the Chinese who are cheating, counterfeiting, and cutting corners. Looking at the finished product, or at samples up front, there's just no way to be CERTAIN about what will actually be supplied.
Maybe Uniden got lucky, maybe Icom got unlucky. Or isn't Uniden one of the many companies selling FRS radios advertising "20 mile range! 30 mile range! 44 mile range!" as well?
This is one reason why I'd prefer a standard 4-pin mic cord that can easily be unscrewed and replaced, rather than fancy control mics and "ram" mics with special cords. Just grab a coil cord and a soldering gun, send the old one back to Icom on a slow boat.
Old 29-11-2013, 15:16   #42

Boat: Chartercats, Prowlercub, 42'

To all hands. This problem with ICOM cords has been addressed. Look up BoatUS article and return your handset to ICOM. They will repair/replace deteriorated cords and connectors. I've had 2 of 4 handsets done. No charges. Good luck.
Thanna5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:31   #43

I called ICOM today, 7/30/15, and was told to send the mike and cord to:

United Radio
5703 Enterprise Parkway
East Syracuse, NY 13057

877-349-4266

I talked to Barb at United Radio, and she confirmed what I had been told by ICOM>

They will replace the cord without cost and return it. ICOM is aware of the problem and wants to get it right.

Norm M
Norfolk, VA
Norm M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:56   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Good to hear that Icom is doing the right thing. They often (although not always) do. Subcontractor probably cheated on the plastic mix.
Old 30-07-2015, 15:30   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

We did get a new command mike. I have also made a sunbrella, stretchy (gathered with sewing elastic and seized at both ends) snake to cover the curly cord and elongate when in use. It's a dust catcher, but I feel better knowing the cord is protected.

Ann

Tags
icom