Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 15:12   #46

Re: If you were buying a used boat, would you rather?

The best way is to get a boat with the electronics you want in good working order. This will be cheaper and easier. However, that it is rare situation when you get what you want.

I've bought a boat with electronics pre-installed, but not what I wanted. I've used it for a bit and it is OK. I'm in the process of replacing it now. It's an expensive path, but it gets me what I want and with the warranty.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:13   #47

Boat: Morgan 44 CC

I guess the logic test is when one is looking at production boats and see two of the same model, similar vintage, similar condition and similar price. If one has dated, tired old electronics and the other has a full suite of the latest kick-a$$ electronics, it’s not hard to imagine which boat will sell first.

So used electronics do have value when buying/selling a boat.
CassidyNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:23   #48

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I would take the electronics if they work.

Obsolete doesn’t mean they aren’t functional and don’t have plenty of life left in them.

There’s really only a handful of electronics that are critical:
A. Depthsounder
B. GPS
C. Shortwave SSB receiver
D. VHF
E. Autopilot unless you have a windvane.

Everything else is nice to have.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:25   #49

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Any electronics unless bang up to date have value = zero

They may not have monetary value but if they work they have functional value.

And if the work long enough that the price of what you want to replace them with comes down then they have monetary value.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:50   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

As someone who got a used boat that came with a GPS from the 90s, a mechanical speed indicator, and literally nothing else (and I obviously removed both of those), the advantage of having at least some electronics, even ones you'll ultimately replace, is you have a blueprint for how you might set it up. If there had been an old radar on the mast, I would have at least known where was a good place to put the new one, and if there had been an old depth sounder, I wouldn't have had to deal with the thru-hull for the new one, and if there had been a VHF radio, I may not have had to buy the antenna and run the wire through the mast for the new one or create a place to mount it that didn't exist before. I also probably would not have had to build an entirely new location to mount my backbone if there had been one before. However, the flip side is that if you are going to completely re-do your electronics anyway, then there is something to be said for just biting the bullet and doing the whole thing- it would suck to get a brand new fancy VHF with built-in AIS just to realize a year down the road that you're getting a ton of voltage drop between the VHF and the antenna because you kept the old wire and it's not up to it. And if you're going to get a whole new system anyway, it is sometimes nice to not be influenced by how an old system was configured previously and instead be thinking freely about where you think the best spot is for everything for your own purposes. But, it all depends on what you're doing with the boat- if you're getting something to go daysailing/weekending in, then finding one with functional electronics is worthwhile because you're not going to be in a huge pickle if they fail. But if you're buying a used boat to take offshore or live aboard for an extended trip, then the cost and hassle of replacing all your electronics will not only likely be necessary, but quite small in relation to everything else you'll need to do.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:49   #51
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
I disagree
If they weren't there I would have to buy them
New sounder, radar, autopilot, plotter, the quick $20,000
Not saying the old ones are worth that to sell but thats what it'll cost if they are not there.
Therefore, they have value.

Rubbish

I have commercial quality sounders, radar, plotter and autopilot on board
And backups for all.
Whilst old, they are still perfectly functioning and do exactly what they were designed to do and will only become obsolete when the smoke is released.

What’s “ commercial quality “

Tags
boat, buying, used boat