Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2015, 09:41   #1

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Improving TV Antennas

I have been constantly annoyed by the poor reception that these Omni directional mast mounted antennas . So I thought i would research this a little and possibly improve it for myself.

When I started I had a Shakespeare 2025 with the below deck gain adjuster . This part gave up right way and rendered the antenna useless. Apperently this gain adjustment is just a power injector that sends power up to the antenna via the coax cable to a small amplifier built inside the antenna housing. The housing opens easily.

First I had to replace that with a much better one , not sure what the specs are on that small amp but it looks very cheap .

I put in a Kitz , KT 200 , from Ultimate TV Antenna Signal Booster, TV Amplifier, HDTV Booster! Guaranteed! these little units get great reviews on the AV forums , they are ultra quiet . The more noise you add the more drop outs you get . This thing fits right inside the housing , you have to solder on a impedance matching trnasformer

http://www.amazon.ca/Winegard-TV-290.../dp/B0029U2XH2

to were the old amp came off and relocated the cable inlets, but all very simple , took about an hour.

Next thing, if you have RG59 coax cable , tear it aLL OUT ! Put in RG6 , much lees DB loss in the wire especially for longer runs like what us sailors have to use

The results , Wow what a difference 41 channels locked on ! compared to 25 before that would always drop out half way through a show .

So I think it was a great upgrade .

Enjoy

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:46   #2

Re: Improving TV Antennas

And PE rated RG6 cable too, for added outdoor protection.

https://sewelldirect.com/learning-center/rg59-or-rg6
TheWildDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Second year with a TV on the boat for us and we have just spent the summer cruising up and down the English South Coast. I fitted a standard caravan Yogi antenna second hand off e bay as a sort of experiment for the pricely some of £5. Although it requires the tv retuning in each location to match the new transmitter and a few minutes pointing the antenna in the right direction, the picture and all the free view channels have been remarkably good. Even swinging about at anchor didn't affect it much. Worth noting that some transmitters require the aerial to be turned 90. (or on its side) to match the new digital signal (polarising?).

I think you have a choice, omni with good booster or original yogi type.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 07:25   #4

And ... have you seen this antenna from Wineguard?

It's designed for RVs, but I wonder how well it would perform in a marine environment, particularly underway ...

Winegard Rayzar Automatic - Fully Automatic RV Antenna

Amazon.com: Winegard RZ-8500 White Rayzar Automatic Amplified HD TV Antenna: Automotive

Rayzar Sharp

TheWildDingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 41 #68

I just installed a new omni directional Majestic UFO X antenna on my masthead. It has performed great, pulling in distant channels no problem. I really like the small disc at 9" in size. Used RG 6 cable for the install.

I had a Shakespeare in the past but was very disappointed in its reception, and switched to a Winegard RV antenna, but it was a pain in the a#s with fair reception, and directional only.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Majestic, and no I don't have a connection with them our anybody related to their sales.

Majestic UFO X Marine TV Antenna - Best Performing Marine and RV TV Antenna
bob_77903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:16   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I might do better with some of those items listed above, but I'm very satisfied with the simple loop TV antenna that I have mounted on my mizzen. We have some "dead zones" in wilderness areas, but we have clear reception with a selection of stations in many US East Coast locations.

Like with so many things,- "Location....."
Old 30-08-2015, 08:58   #7

Boat: Beneteau First 38
Thumbs up Re: Improving TV Antennas

I too have the Majestic UFO has worked flawlessly for years. We used at the condo first before mounting on the YOT.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_77903 View Post
I just installed a new omni directional Majestic UFO X antenna on my masthead. It has performed great, pulling in distant channels no problem. I really like the small disc at 9" in size. Used RG 6 cable for the install.

I had a Shakespeare in the past but was very disappointed in its reception, and switched to a Winegard RV antenna, but it was a pain in the a#s with fair reception, and directional only.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending the Majestic, and no I don't have a connection with them our anybody related to their sales.

Majestic UFO X Marine TV Antenna - Best Performing Marine and RV TV Antenna
I'm fighting currents to get back to you, listening to the flow of your liquid language as you beckon me, "Come Play"
Mariners Cove, CI. Anonymous.
Caribsailors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna