Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 10:34   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
INavX/ IPlod Questions

I am about to embark on my Baltic adventure and I am nervously contemplating not having paper charts for the whole route. I have an IPlod (ancient v1) and INavX and am considering using that as my backup cartographic source.

Here's the rub -- the ancient IPlod was married to an old desktop which I have long since tossed. I need to upgrade the operating system in order to use GoFree on my Zeus system. But if you upgrade the operating system on any other computer than the one you originally set it up on, it will wipe all of your programs (** Steve Jobs!!!).

So it looks like I will have to reinstall INavX and everything else. So here is my question:

1. I understand that the nice INavX people allow you to reinstall the purchased program on a new device, or even on additional devices. So does that mean I will somehow be able to reinstall INavX after my OS upgrade without buying it all over again?

2. I bought Navionics charts for all of Atlantic Europe. They are by now somewhat out of date but still good enough for my purposes (i.e., backup). Last year I was able to even install parts of those maps which I had not yet installed, which I thought was a very nice gesture on INavX's part. I wonder if I will be able to re-download them after the OS upgrade? How?

3. I will buy new Navionics charts for the Baltic. I see that the price has gone up!

I will be grateful for any tips!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 10:55   #2

Boat: ex-Tartan 40
Re: INavX/ IPlod Questions

I recommend going over to the GPSNavX site and asking there. You've got a few issues in play.

Some apps no longer are backward compatible with the earliest version of the iPad since it stopped being able to upgrade beyond iOS version 5. I don't know if that applies to the current versions of iNavX.

Re: the question of whether you can bring the version of iNavX forward with a new desktop. I believe the answer is that you can by canceling the relationship with the old desktop, but GPSNavX support can answer definitively as well as tell you how to do it.

I assume you got your Navionics charts through X-Traverse. I found that my subscription was out of date and I needed to update and pay again to bring the charts over when I upgrade my iPad to an Air. Your membership is presumably up to date since you got your Baltic charts, but you may have to relicense your Atlantic Europe charts.

I look forward to hearing how GoFree works for you. I've just had Zeus installed, but will be on the hard for another month. The idea of having two-way communication with my nav systems from the iPad sounds too good to be true.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 11:27   #3

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I am about to embark on my Baltic adventure and I am nervously contemplating not having paper charts for the whole route. I have an IPlod (ancient v1) and INavX and am considering using that as my backup cartographic source.

Here's the rub -- the ancient IPlod was married to an old desktop which I have long since tossed. I need to upgrade the operating system in order to use GoFree on my Zeus system. But if you upgrade the operating system on any other computer than the one you originally set it up on, it will wipe all of your programs (** Steve Jobs!!!).

So it looks like I will have to reinstall INavX and everything else. So here is my question:

1. I understand that the nice INavX people allow you to reinstall the purchased program on a new device, or even on additional devices. So does that mean I will somehow be able to reinstall INavX after my OS upgrade without buying it all over again?

2. I bought Navionics charts for all of Atlantic Europe. They are by now somewhat out of date but still good enough for my purposes (i.e., backup). Last year I was able to even install parts of those maps which I had not yet installed, which I thought was a very nice gesture on INavX's part. I wonder if I will be able to re-download them after the OS upgrade? How?

3. I will buy new Navionics charts for the Baltic. I see that the price has gone up!

I will be grateful for any tips!
A few points:

• An original iPad won't run (or install) a system past 5.1.1. Better check if this is good enough for what you want.
• All applications should have been purchased from the Apple store and should therefore be available for re-download using your Apple ID. This might not work if the apps have been updated past your iPad's ability to run them. I have all my apps backed up so I've never had the opportunity to test this.

Thus you should be able to log in to the app store and download everything you own.

• Most apps with in-app purchases (like Navionics) will allow you to redownload content upon logging in. I know they allowed me to download stuff on my iPad that I had purchased on my iPhone.

A quick google also reveals this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Quote:
I just went through this myself. Here's what you need to do:

1) Without connecting your iPad to your laptop, start iTunes. Click on Edit. Click on Preferences. Click on Devices. Check the box next to "Prevent your iPod etc. from automatically syncing." Click OK.

2) Now connect your iPad to your laptop and start iTunes.

3) When iTunes starts, right click on your iPad under Devices in the left column. Select Transfer purchases etc.

4) After it finishes transferring all your apps to your new laptop, right click on your iPad and select Backup your iPad.

5) After it finishes backing up your iPad, right click on your iPad and select Restore etc.

6) After it finishes restoring, left click on your iPad , then click on the Apps tab on top, and check the box next to Sync Apps, then click on Apply below.

If everything on your iPad looks good after the sync, go back and click on Edit / Preferences / Devices and UN-check the box next to Prevent your iPod etc. The only other thing you may want to check is if your contacts, bookmarks, etc. are syncing correctly now. If not, go to the Info tab after connecting and make sure you indicate which features you want to sync with what sources.

That should do it.
Old 27-04-2014, 12:32   #4

Ditto what Macblaze said. Ist generation Macs use system 5.1.1, but that will still run the latest version of iNav_X, 4.0.1. I know because I downloaded it yesterday.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 13:45   #5
cruiser

I just went through all of this myself two weeks ago. INavx won't need to be purchased again and can be re-installed at no cost on a new Apple device. The charts you already purchased can also be re-installed. There's a fellow on this forum who represents Inavx who can help you.

Another suggestion: Install the Nobeltec Maxsea app for free onto your newer device. The newer charts can then be downloaded for around $49 per set covering substantial areas of Europe and the Baltic through Nobeltec. You'll be very impressed with the 3D renderings and satellite overlays.

So basically, we have two ipads on the boat, one with both Nobeltec and INavx, and the older one with just INavx. This along with a PC running Nobeltec Time Zero, paper charts, a Garmin chartplotter, and two smart phones with GPS.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 14:38   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just went through all of this myself two weeks ago. INavx won't need to be purchased again and can be re-installed at no cost on a new Apple device. The charts you already purchased can also be re-installed. There's a fellow on this forum who represents Inavx who can help you.

Another suggestion: Install the Nobeltec Maxsea app for free onto your newer device. The newer charts can then be downloaded for around $49 per set covering substantial areas of Europe and the Baltic through Nobeltec. You'll be very impressed with the 3D renderings and satellite overlays.

So basically, we have two ipads on the boat, one with both Nobeltec and INavx, and the older one with just INavx. This along with a PC running Nobeltec Time Zero, paper charts, a Garmin chartplotter, and two smart phones with GPS.

Ken
Thanks for that, Ken.

Two problems with Nobeltec: (a) won't work on an Ur-IPlod (needs OS 6.0 or greater); (b) doesn't display any NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data. These factors point to reinstalling INavX.

I've already gotten a response from INavX tech support (I have groused about various things I dislike about INavX, but you sure can't fault their service!). It's great that I can reinstall everything with no problem, as Ken says. So I'll upgrade the OS as soon as I have a data unlimited connection.
Old 27-04-2014, 16:11   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks for that, Ken.

Two problems with Nobeltec: (a) won't work on an Ur-IPlod (needs OS 6.0 or greater); (b) doesn't display any NMEA0183 or NMEA2000 data. These factors point to reinstalling INavX.

I've already gotten a response from INavX tech support (I have groused about various things I dislike about INavX, but you sure can't fault their service!). It's great that I can reinstall everything with no problem, as Ken says. So I'll upgrade the OS as soon as I have a data unlimited connection.
Look to see if Maxsea has an app that will work on your UK ipad. Maxsea is the European version of Nobeltec.

Bring along a couple of paper charts... Cheap insurance.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2014, 07:32   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
A few points:

• An original iPad won't run (or install) a system past 5.1.1. Better check if this is good enough for what you want.
• All applications should have been purchased from the Apple store and should therefore be available for re-download using your Apple ID. This might not work if the apps have been updated past your iPad's ability to run them. I have all my apps backed up so I've never had the opportunity to test this.

Thus you should be able to log in to the app store and download everything you own.

• Most apps with in-app purchases (like Navionics) will allow you to redownload content upon logging in. I know they allowed me to download stuff on my iPad that I had purchased on my iPhone.

A quick google also reveals this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
I did all the stuff in the cited article -- "transfer purchases"; "authorize computer", backup, and restored the Ipad from backup. But when I go to update the OS, it still tells me that everything will be wiped! I guess it's not really a problem since INavX is the only paid program I have on it, but still weird. Anyone know why?
Old 28-04-2014, 07:53   #9

Boat: Hunter 386

A major update will erase and restore everything. If you have it all on a desktop (and if you did the transfer app thing you should) then it should be no biggee.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19100887#19100887

Good luck!

Tags
iNavX