Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2022, 10:10   #61
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495
Re: Inexpensive AIS Receiver

I agree AIS receive only is better than nothing, especially in limited visibility..
- used to be you could buy a GX2150 vhf and get AIS for almost free, but that’s gone the way of the dodo.
If you can find a used/old stock Standard Horizon GX2200, you’ll have a great vhf with built in gps and no splitter required on vhf antenna - about as simple as it gets

This unit does look interesting….relatively low price still requires buying antennas, but assume you can receive via wifi on your cell/pad
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 10:12   #62

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

[QUOTE=thomm225;3717374]An AIS transceiver is much more expensive, you need a second antenna for good TX/RX, and many companies want you to pay a tech to install which adds more to the cost.

Plus I'm sure there are other things that I simply don't know about as far as installation since I don't have one yet.

You're looking at it from your point of view only based on what you have and your needs are. Yes a transceiver is more money but not that much more and especially for what you get it is so worth the investment. Having other ships/boats see you is highly valuable and not to be underrated.

Installation is simple especially if you buy a transceiver that has a built in antennae splitter as many do. If not, you can buy a splitter as well so now you're using your antennae on top of the mast that will give you the longest range possible. Having an antennae 10' off the deck is not all that effective.

If you can only afford a receiver and you want one now then buy it. Or as someone posted earlier, buy a used one. Transceivers can be bought used as well but you need to be careful. I bought one only to find out to have it reprogrammed meant back to the factory and an outrageous price that made the cost more than a new one and... that make/model had known issues.

I have a transceiver so am biased as well. Wouldn't go without it. It is the cheapest safety gear I have ever bought and does so much
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 11:05   #63

Boat: DeFever 41

All that being said, is there any decent VHF/AIS-transponder hand-held available? I've found a few VHF/AIS-receivers, but am leery of trying to figure out the intersecting courses and other data on such a tiny screen. On Sanderling we had a VesperMarine XB-8000 connected to a laptop and Garmin display; now looking for something for a gift for a person with a smallish sailboat.
BobMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 11:35   #64

Boat: 28' Bristol Channel Cutter - Angelsea

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Better they avoid you
No better to avoid them. Then you know what’s happening. Otherwise your just hoping they are paying attention.
Old 16-12-2022, 12:00   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

[QUOTE=Cpt Mark;3719363]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
An AIS transceiver is much more expensive, you need a second antenna for good TX/RX, and many companies want you to pay a tech to install which adds more to the cost.

Plus I'm sure there are other things that I simply don't know about as far as installation since I don't have one yet.

You're looking at it from your point of view only based on what you have and your needs are. Yes a transceiver is more money but not that much more and especially for what you get it is so worth the investment. Having other ships/boats see you is highly valuable and not to be underrated.

Installation is simple especially if you buy a transceiver that has a built in antennae splitter as many do. If not, you can buy a splitter as well so now you're using your antennae on top of the mast that will give you the longest range possible. Having an antennae 10' off the deck is not all that effective.

If you can only afford a receiver and you want one now then buy it. Or as someone posted earlier, buy a used one. Transceivers can be bought used as well but you need to be careful. I bought one only to find out to have it reprogrammed meant back to the factory and an outrageous price that made the cost more than a new one and... that make/model had known issues.

I have a transceiver so am biased as well. Wouldn't go without it. It is the cheapest safety gear I have ever bought and does so much
I'll probably be getting this one.

https://www.milltechmarine.com/b600

Looks like a fun project to get it hooked up. Has a nice little diagram there also.

Learned about it here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...er-271226.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 13:05   #66

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil42 View Post
Doesn't Navionics include an AIS receiver in the software?
No. Navionics will display AIS data, but only if you have an AIS receiver or transponder connected to it.
Old 16-12-2022, 13:52   #67

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most tankers have radar and can easily see you with it.

With an AIS Receiver you can also see them sometimes as far as 30 miles out which gives you lots of time to avoid.

Not a waste of money at all as you are getting valuable information for your $150 or so spent

Also as I said. for most folks AIS Receive is all you will ever need.

Fully agree.
Take for example, the English channel, Strait of Hormuz or any shipping lane. The large ships there are NOT deviating from their course in order to avoid a collision with a small yacht. Much better for you to avoid them, hence a cheap AIS RECEIVER is all you really need.
We have used this one for years Marine electronics, best value for money
Simply connect it to your spare VHF antenna and a laptop running OpenCpn.
AND no hassle with bureaucracy rules in any country.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 15:59   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by col50 View Post
To see ships not avoiding you is a reassuring aspect of an AIS receiver.
And follow the rules of the road, give way to everyone that's bigger than you.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 16:10   #69

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballsnall View Post
And follow the rules of the road, give way to everyone that's bigger than you.
Well, which one is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
All that being said, is there any decent VHF/AIS-transponder hand-held available?
I would love a portable receiver (perhaps delivery skippers might find such a thing useful?). For a small boat, I'd just wire in a traditional AIS transponder and feed the data wirelessly to phone/tablet.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 18:17   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
I remember in a navigation course I took, where it was stated that most commercial ships do not monitor the Class "B" transceiver signals that recreational vessels use.

They only monitor the commercial Class "A" signals.

Hence the Class B transceiver may indeed be of little use.
You got ripped off in that course you took mate. Both the categories (Class A and Class B) of AIS receive data from different vessels. The difference is that Class A category of AIS transmits more data, at a higher speed, and at a higher power compared to Class B.
sailasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2022, 19:27   #71

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailasia View Post
You got ripped off in that course you took mate. Both the categories (Class A and Class B) of AIS receive data from different vessels. The difference is that Class A category of AIS transmits more data, at a higher speed, and at a higher power compared to Class B.
Receiving it and monitoring it are two different things. It's quite possible that class B is being filtered out on some ships.

https://panbo.com/class-b-ais-filter...rom-dr-norris/
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 03:01   #72

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large

Quote from same weblink cited above:

Many such areas are found around the world, justifying the inclusion of such a mode in manufacturers’ equipment. It should not be forgotten that the bridge windows form the most widely used navigational aid. When operating in busy areas in reasonable visibility they normally form the primary collision avoidance tool.

I sail in an area loaded with cargo, ferry, fishing, enforcement, and recreational vessels. I don't see how not having AIS would be an advantage! I do filter vessels not underway because it just isn't important and there are often alot. In this area I could completely understand a big ship filtering class B AIS because of the distraction caused by the presence of many recreational vessels at highly variable courses and speeds.

Interestingly enough the enforcement vessels seldom transmit AIS!

Anyway it all goes back to the quoted paragraph above! You gotta lookout with your eyeballs.
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 04:22   #73

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
Fully agree.
Take for example, the English channel, Strait of Hormuz or any shipping lane. The large ships there are NOT deviating from their course in order to avoid a collision with a small yacht. Much better for you to avoid them, hence a cheap AIS RECEIVER is all you really need.
This is true of the Chesapeake Bay, also. Apart from pleasure boats, the most common vessels are container ships, tugs pulling or pushing barges, military vessels, and commercial fishing boats, primarily the Menhaden fleet. Ships, tugs, and commercial fishing boats do not give way to pleasure boats. They also rarely even communicate with pleasure boaters. You stay out of their way and avoid them. It may be justified by the Vessels Restricted in Their Ability to Maneuver Rule because of the narrow channels or commercial fishing rule.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 05:01   #74

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
I remember in a navigation course I took, where it was stated that most commercial ships do not monitor the Class "B" transceiver signals that recreational vessels use.

They only monitor the commercial Class "A" signals.

Hence the Class B transceiver may indeed be of little use.

I suspect that's more likely urban horse-hockey.

I've been hailed -- by name -- by commercial ships in heavy fog... to discuss passage plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailasia View Post
Yep.

-Chris
Old 17-12-2022, 06:20   #75

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Matsutec AIS send&receive works great, cheap and best you can program it yourself. It’s NMEA 0183 but that’s ok for AIS.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais