Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2022, 05:50   #76

Re: Inexpensive AIS Receiver

I learned a few things by reading all the posts, so it was all good.
ron17571 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 06:39   #77

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
Thomm225:
On this video are you using OpenCpn as the program? Also (pardon my ignorance), what is "OP"?
thx
cheers
Yes it's OpenCPN and being displayed on a 19" HDTV from the Raspberry Pi 4. AIS is coming in from the SH GX2200 as well as GPS. Also have backup GPS Puck and now this GPS/GLONASS Receiver. See link. It acted a bit strange at first but finally connected to OpenCPN and you could see the sentences on the debug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18239419828...CABEgISGPD_BwE

OP is Original Poster.

I loaded that OpenCPN as part of Open Plotter to the Raspberry Pi. Not sure it's still available.

Looks like it still is with newer version.

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/e...wnloading.html

I'm using my laptop now though for display. Photo is of the laptop hardwired to my new Smart Victron on the first day I installed it. It has Bluetooth also so you can see the display on your phone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1213 (2).jpg
Views:	45
Size:	412.1 KB
ID:	268883  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 09:22   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomusa View Post
Hi,

I ran across this AIS that seems to combine quite a few features in one box and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. It is a Quark-Elec QK-A026 viewable at:

https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...-gps-receiver/

The price looks reasonable. Any comments appreciated.
Hi

I have used their kit for some time.

It is simple to install and set up.
Works a treat and links to charting software like OpenCPN easily.
Been using it for a few years with no issues.

Reasonable price too.

Merry Christmas

John
CorinthianJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 15:45   #79

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Having an AIS Receiver in the Chesapeake Bay is a blessing.

It helps you "see" all the shipping traffic before you see them this makes crossing their path much easier with more time to prepare.......

We have to cross the first shipping channel just 4-5 miles out when sailing North from Norfolk/VA Beach so a Quick check before leaving your slip gives you lots of information you wouldn't have without the AIS Receiver
Container ships
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Container.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	268910   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1297 (1).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	434.9 KB
ID:	268911  

Name:	IMG_1303 (1).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	441.9 KB
ID:	268913  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2022, 16:27   #80

Boat: Mariner 39

The older SH VHFs with AIS or newer ones that also include built-in GPS (needed for AIS and DCS) plus the RAM Mic ( if in the budget) with a good VHF/AIS antenna are inexpensive, solid solutions, as mentioned in several posts.

What has not been mentioned, especially those pushing the “safety” of transmitting AIS is that AIS is public data. Like, anyone with access to the internet, can track any AIS transmitting vessel. This might not resonate with some of you but about 11 years ago, a young woman single-handing around the world to raise money/awareness for a charity was tracked down by her stalker using AIS and murdered.

So there are plenty of us who might not want to afford an AIS transmitter based on our use cases and prefer not to be tracked for safety reasons. And it’s a given that AIS can be turned-off when sailing in riskier waters (Aka pirates 🏴*☠️).
ashmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2023, 14:39   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomusa View Post
Hi,

I ran across this AIS that seems to combine quite a few features in one box and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with it. It is a Quark-Elec QK-A026 viewable at:

https://www.quark-elec.com/product/q...-gps-receiver/

The price looks reasonable. Any comments appreciated.
My boat have a Quark A024, similar as A026. With a whip aerial installed, it can get 10+ miles away ship information. Good enough for me.
ChristianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 17:15   #82

Boat: Compass 28

Thought I'd post here the excellent support I got from Adrian who makes the dAISy AIS receivers. And no, he's not my brother-in-law, best mate etc - I live 10,00 miles away in Oz.

I damaged my dAISy, which had worked flawlessy for nearly 5 years, through my sheer stupidity. Adrian offered great support, so I reckon he deserves a plug.

I did have a Quark A024 before I bought the dAISy but had a poor experience with both it and the supplier's support and eventually gave up and returned it.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 14:39   #83

For most folks AIS Receive is all you will ever need. Have been using Quark A026 for a few years, happy with it.
ChristianV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 16:15   #84

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianV View Post
For most folks AIS Receive is all you will ever need. Have been using Quark A026 for a few years, happy with it.
An AIS Receiver lets you know where other boats are. It does nothing to tell other boats where you are. I want other boats to know where I am as well. Much safer and foolish IMHO not to have a transceiver .
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 17:02   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Mark View Post
An AIS Receiver lets you know where other boats are. It does nothing to tell other boats where you are. I want other boats to know where I am as well. Much safer and foolish IMHO not to have a transceiver .

It's a bit like having a VHF that only receives and not transmits.
For a couple of hundred bucks extra it's a no brainer if other vessels can also avoid you.
What about all the other vessels that that decided on receive only because someone told them that was all they needed, you can't see them and they can't see you. At least if you have Tx they can avoid you. No brainer really, Tx has to be one of the best safety features you could ever have on your boat.
Ballsnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 20:15   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianV View Post
If everyone took that attitude, then no one would transmit — and AIS would be useless.

I have little respect for Captains who refuse to transmit AIS to save a few hundred bucks. Not showing up on my AIS display means I have no CPA for you. I have to spend extra time and effort figuring out how close we’ll come to a collision and whether I need to give way.

It’s a pain in the neck. And dangerous.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 22:58   #87

Boat: Islander Bahama 30

I use this guy's set-up and it has been working great. The only issue I have is that I think my antenna is bad so I get weird signal issues. I just posted about that on here. But the combination of Geomex active splitter, A026, and a smartphone and tablet is pretty unbeatable for ease of use. You don't need OpenCPN either, you can just download the Navionics app and it will pop up the AIS signals on your boat. I have a number of electronic devices, phone rechargers, and cables of various lengths so that I have a lot of back up in case one device goes down. The system only cost about $330 with shipping. Getting a Quarkbox delivered was.... interesting. But worth it.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais