Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 06:55   #1

Boat: Freedom 40/40
Initiating DSC calls from a B&G Zeus to a Standard Horizon GX2400 via NMEA2000

I'm specing out electronics for a new boat that I'm having built, and I will be using a B&G Zeus 3S for a chartplotter. I don't like B&G's VHF products, and would like to use a Standard Horizon GX2400 connected via NMEA 2000.

According to the Zeus 3S manual:

"If the system includes a VHF radio supporting DSC (Digital Select Calling) calls over NMEA2000® or NMEA 0183®, a DSC call can be initiated to other vessels from the unit. The call option is available in the AIS vessel details dialog, and in the vessel status dialog."

I have spent hours searching forums to figure out if the Zeus will be able to place a DSC call via the N2K, with no definitive answers.

Is there anyone out there with SH GX2400 and a B&G Zeus who had placed DSC calls initiated from the Zeus?
geoffschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 07:54   #2

Boat: Hunter 340
Re: Initiating DSC calls from a B&G Zeus to a Standard Horizon GX2400 via NMEA2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffschultz View Post
I'm specing out electronics for a new boat that I'm having built, and I will be using a B&G Zeus 3S for a chartplotter. I don't like B&G's VHF products, and would like to use a Standard Horizon GX2400 connected via NMEA 2000.

According to the Zeus 3S manual:

"If the system includes a VHF radio supporting DSC (Digital Select Calling) calls over NMEA2000® or NMEA 0183®, a DSC call can be initiated to other vessels from the unit. The call option is available in the AIS vessel details dialog, and in the vessel status dialog."

I have spent hours searching forums to figure out if the Zeus will be able to place a DSC call via the N2K, with no definitive answers.

Is there anyone out there with SH GX2400 and a B&G Zeus who had placed DSC calls initiated from the Zeus?
Annoyingly there is no standard N2K or N0183 message. So it will only work if both the chartplotter and radio are B&G. Raymarine has their own proprietary protocol so does Garmin and so does icom (Class A AIS to radio). None will work cross brand. Standard Horizon not having any standalone AIS display or chartplotter it won't ever work with any brand.

Remember how N2K was going to make everything work with everything?
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
B&G, dsc, nmea 2000, standard horizon, vhf