Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2011, 14:00   #1

Internet Access Around the World

I plan to go mobile with my life, and sail around the world.

I am a self-employed intra-day financial trader. I can work wherever I have an internet connection. What is your impression on the current state/future of wireless internet access around the world? Where do you think it is going? Tips on how to make this work? Ideas? Is it only reliable in marinas?

Comments, questions, tips, input?
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 14:41   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
Do a forum search on internet,,, this topic has been beat to death
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 14:52   #3

Yes, the question of general internet access has, but I feel my request is a different side of it. I don't need internet mainly for email, weather, etc. I need internet that is relatively reliable and fast
WhataWorld! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 15:01   #4

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Search Results
Old 09-01-2011, 15:03   #5

Marine Communications and Internet Access
Old 09-01-2011, 16:09   #6

Wireless Internet At Sea – Breaking Free Of Corporate Internet Part 2*|*gCaptain
Old 10-01-2011, 05:48   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
If your budget suppost it , consider installing Inmarsat Fleetbroadband, startings systems at 150Kbps for about 4K dollars at 10 dollars/megabyte. That way you are independant.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:40   #8

@WaW : if you rely on real time quotes, then be aware that satellite based internet (such as Inmarsat, Globalstar etc) has a huge latency.

Personally I am day trading weekly options ... and 1/2 sec too late can ruin the trade. So you need to incorporate approx 2-3 sec delay (quote display and your actions) in your day trading strategy.

Btw - my first post on CF ... :-) ... planning to do a "tour de world" but still trying to figure out how to finance such a project.
Zonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 05:55   #9
JJB

Boat: Warwick 72 custom
Personally, I trade forex, I have done so on Inmarsat for quite a while at sea, while the latency is a little annoying it is bearable. If of any interest, I use GFT.

Mini v-sat is another interesting one, I would like to use it, but they have very little coverage of the Pacific, since the Pacific is where I tend to do most sailing it isn't an option for me. The terminal I run is an FB250.

Inmarsat has 50mbps coming sometime in 2013, perhaps earlier if rumors are correct, but I wouldn't count on it, the Inmarsat website says sometime in 2014. It will be interesting to see how much prices change when this is introduced.
JJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:06   #10

@JJB : I assume if you do FX then you use a software showing real time quotes. I use TOS (TDA) and TW (IB) and looks to me there is some amount of data transferred ... just wondering how your monthly bill looks like. I would really appreciate if you could share some info about the traffic and the cost you experienced with FB.
Old 11-01-2011, 06:13   #11
JJB

While we're at sea, we only use Dealbook 360 and Email, it's expensive but not too bad, $2750, buys me 750mb per month, I know it doesn't seem like much, but I have yet to see a month where I go over it.
Sometimes if there is anything left, I will allow my kids to do a little web browsing, but no Youtube, Facebook etc.

I tend to open dealbook twice a day when at sea, I don't leave it running all day. I prefer just to set my trades every morning according to market conditions and just allow it to take it's course until later that night where I check on the results or perhaps setup a few more if the market is presenting well.
Old 11-01-2011, 18:49   #12

Boat: Roberts 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJB
While we're at sea, we only use Dealbook 360 and Email, it's expensive but not too bad, $2750, buys me 750mb per month, I know it doesn't seem like much, but I have yet to see a month where I go over it.
Sometimes if there is anything left, I will allow my kids to do a little web browsing, but no Youtube, Facebook etc.

I tend to open dealbook twice a day when at sea, I don't leave it running all day. I prefer just to set my trades every morning according to market conditions and just allow it to take it's course until later that night where I check on the results or perhaps setup a few more if the market is presenting well.
I
on fxcm and wondering the same thing. Would it be that hard at sea to keep an eye on it 4 or 5 times a day. Mmmmm
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 19:15   #13
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
I
on fxcm and wondering the same thing. Would it be that hard at sea to keep an eye on it 4 or 5 times a day. Mmmmm
I don't see any reason you couldn't do that. it just isn't the way I trade even when on land.
I haven't played with fxcm's platform much but I understand it uses less bandwidth than most. I usually wind up with about 100-150mb a month to spare at the end of the month. If you exceed the 750mb you get charged an excess if I remember correctly of $11 per meg.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:40   #14

Wonder if it would be possible to have each cruiser out on the water act as a network router and have something like a world wide cruiser network in place so anybody could access the internet with WiFi ... :-)
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51   #15
JJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonker View Post
Wonder if it would be possible to have each cruiser out on the water act as a network router and have something like a world wide cruiser network in place so anybody could access the internet with WiFi ... :-)
That would have to be some pretty powerful WiFi hehe

Tags
internet