Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 22:36   #46

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch
Re: Internet access with SIM card when with no WIFI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussvdharma View Post
I would end your internet problems....Use SSB radio and Pactor thru an SCS TNC (Modem) . If you are cruising without SSB radio, I think you are rather foolish. If you have an SSB get a TNC and of course you already have a computer.
Download AIRMAIL (if you have ham license ) in no ham license subscribe to SAILMAIL

Cant over stress if you need SSB buy ICOM 718...inexpensive and does everything a ham or cruiser needs. Used my for many many years on cruising sailboat and now still using it ashore. DE W7KFI

I’ll 2nd that.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 22:57   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You keep claiming this. Please provide a legal cite to this alleged compulsory monitoring and censoring of "the internet" in Australia.
No worries.

It was on the last page but I’ll just quote it

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
“Australia is classified as "under surveillance" (a type of "Internet enemy") by Reporters Without Borders due to the proposed legislation. If enacted, the legislation would have required Internet service providers to censor access to such content for all users. However, the policy was rejected by the Coalition and was later withdrawn by the Labor party.
The same day the withdrawal was announced, the then Communications Minister stated that as a result of notices to Australian ISPs, over 90% of Australians using Internet Services were going to have a web filter. Australian Federal Police would then pursue smaller ISPs and work with them to meet their "obligation under Australian law".
iiNet and Internode quietly confirmed that the request to censor content from Australian Federal Police went from voluntary to mandatory under s313 in an existing law. iiNet had sought legal advice and accepted the s313 mandatory notice but would not reveal the legal advice publicly.”

“In April 2019, the Senate passed a bill in response to the Christchurch mosque shooting which required websites that provide a hosting service to "ensure the expeditious removal" of audio or visual material documenting "abhorrent violent conduct" (including terrorist acts, murder, attempted murder, torture, rape or kidnapping), produced by a perpetrator or accomplice, within a reasonable time frame. Hosts must also report such content to authorities. Those who do not remove the materials may face fines and jail time.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...p_in_Australia

SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 23:57   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
No worries.

It was on the last page but I’ll just quote it
ROTFLMO. WIkipedia is not a "legal cite".

"If enacted, the legislation would have required Internet service providers to censor"
But it wasn't enacted.

A "web filter" and limitations on locally hosted content are a far cry from "compulsory monitoring and censoring of "the internet" in Australia" .

Hint; There's a lot more to "the Internet" that the World Wide Web.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 00:44   #49

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
I pay $100 per month for unlimited data that I’ve never seen throttled. SIM card I seller off of eBay for the account. Used to have the card in a hotspot, but I just put the card in my iPad and ditched the hotspot. It is expensive, but I’m going through 1TB in data per month... especially now...
If you do the SIM card and router, make sure they both support 5G.
I don’t know of any laptop with a SIM card slot... That’s why I switched to an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse...

My HP laptop has a SIM slot. Love it. I pay $10/month as an add on to my Verizon unlimited data account
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 01:50   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
ROTFLMO. WIkipedia is not a "legal cite".

"If enacted, the legislation would have required Internet service providers to censor"
But it wasn't enacted.

A "web filter" and limitations on locally hosted content are a far cry from "compulsory monitoring and censoring of "the internet" in Australia" .

Hint; There's a lot more to "the Internet" that the World Wide Web.
Seconded!
Speaking as an Aussie IT professional, a law abiding citizen in Australia will most likely not even notice the relative handful of websites that are blocked by law. With the obvious exception of people who use "free" public wifi for banking, etc, the only people in Australia likely to truly require a VPN are those who make use of sites providing the same kind of services as the one that uses a pirate ship in its' logo. Said site is still going strong today, as it happens. Don't ask how I know..
JAFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 03:16   #51

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
I would end your internet problems....Use SSB radio and Pactor thru an SCS TNC (Modem) . If you are cruising without SSB radio, I think you are rather foolish. If you have an SSB get a TNC and of course you already have a computer.
Download AIRMAIL (if you have ham license ) in no ham license subscribe to SAILMAIL

Cant over stress if you need SSB buy ICOM 718...inexpensive and does everything a ham or cruiser needs. Used my for many many years on cruising sailboat and now still using it ashore. DE W7KFI
just as a matter of interest, will this work with an ICOM 710 ? i've been told it won't as the switching speed is too slow...but...???

cheers,
Old 18-10-2020, 22:24   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

For 3G 4G router i make list For now CAT6 4G router is adequate,when coming evriver 5G

lower class 4G router & Mobile LTE Hotspot

tp-link MR400

ZTE MF283+
huawei b310s-22
Asus 4G-AC55U
Huawei B315s-22
ZTE MF286
Huawei B525s-23a
HUAWEI B528s-23a

Mid-Range 4G router & Mobile LTE Hotspot

TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200
ASUS 4G-AC68U AC1900
Huawei B612s-25d
Huawei B535-232
TP-Link M7650
ZTE MF980
Netgear Aircard 810s
Huawei B715s-23c
Huawei B618s-22d
Huawei B525s-65a
Netgear Aircard 815s
Alcatel Linkzone Cat12

high end 4G router & Mobile LTE Hotspot

Huawei E5788
Netgear Nighthawk M1 MR1100-100EUS
Huawei B818-260
Huawei B818-263
Netgear Nighthawk M2 MR2100-100EUS
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2020, 08:31   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Cruising the med, I personally think Wi-Fi is now quite useless outside your home marina or a few regular places where you’ve picked up the passwords over time ( and they haven’t changed them ). I’ve seen open Wi-Fi on a long time.

3G/4G is the way to go. I have a €25 a month unlimited data , unlimited calls and texts Red roaming sim , good all over the EU and maybe the U.K. next year ( but probably not ) . I can tether as much as I like.

Can’t see much future in ship board long range Wi-Fi
Old 20-10-2020, 12:24   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Cruising the med, I personally think Wi-Fi is now quite useless outside your home marina or a few regular places where you’ve picked up the passwords over time ( and they haven’t changed them ). I’ve seen open Wi-Fi on a long time.

3G/4G is the way to go. I have a €25 a month unlimited data , unlimited calls and texts Red roaming sim , good all over the EU and maybe the U.K. next year ( but probably not ) . I can tether as much as I like.

In Croatia adriatic sea area (all island and open sea)free Wi-Fi is totaly useles. but for 26€ month unlimited data and CAT11 router 350/50 Mbit/s (download/upload).CAT6 router 100/30 Mbit/s (download/upload).and CAT4 router 20-70/20 Mbit/s (download/upload).
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 02:17   #55
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Sorry bout the typos , I meant “ I haven’t seen open Wi-Fi for a long time “
Old 03-01-2021, 10:55   #56

Boat: Navigator Pilot House 53'

Quote:

Thanks for this info. I had not heard of SSB. I found this article, seems pretty comrehensive.

https://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/e...ics/skinny-ssb

Originally, I was looking for coastal coverage in the US, within cell range. Now I am thinking about coverage offshore, including the Bahamas. I thought I would need to go with satellite, but SSB seems like a good solution.

Could you share what equipment and service you use?

Many thanks, Mark/St Pete FL
markguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:25   #57

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

SSB is expensive, slow, requires licensing, complicated to install and is just antiquated compared to satellite. We use cellular when coastal and a Delorme in-reach (about $25/mo) for off shore communication. It would be years before the many thousands of $ in initial cost of an SSB system would pay off.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:17   #58

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
...and uucp.
Wow! Haven’t heard that in a looooong time!

Old farts lol
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 13:02   #59

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
Thanks for this info. I had not heard of SSB. I found this article, seems pretty comrehensive.

I thought I would need to go with satellite, but SSB seems like a good solution.
I have SSB, Pactor, etc. I've used it world wide for email and very limited web site (text only) download, and of course extensively for weather, safety, and radio net use.

But SSB radio and pactor does not solve any cruiser's Internet access problem. Email YES, Internet, NO.

If all you want is email you can use SSB. Most of us want more than that these days.

However, there is no useable, even remotely affordable, Internet access at sea at present. Maybe Musk's system will be one. I've been waiting for satellite Internet since Teledesic in the 90's. Never happened.

On shore or near shore use cellular data. If you can get an unlimited data plan that's good. Otherwise you have to be careful about how much data you use, it runs up the cost. If you have access to to WiFi that may work and it is usually free. The right kind of antenna is required (NOT OMNI DIRECTIONAL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
SSB is expensive, slow, requires licensing, complicated to install and is just antiquated compared to satellite. We use cellular when coastal and a Delorme in-reach (about $25/mo) for off shore communication. It would be years before the many thousands of $ in initial cost of an SSB system would pay off.
Yes, SSB is antiquated. That is what I thought in 1995 and still do, but after years of waiting for satellite Internet I gave up and went SSB. I bought used, it was less than $1500 total. Now it will be over #4000 new but less if you buy used, as I did. Once installed there are no charges to continue using it, and as opposed to a consumer satellite handset, it is a robust system meant for long range transmission in harsh marine environments. It is a "broadcast" system, meaning that you can listen to and talk on radio nets for safety weather information. It is still antiquated but I recommend it for serious world cruisers, for communication, not Internet.
Old 03-01-2021, 13:45   #60
Nearly an old salt

Just a point about those cruisers cruising within the roaming area of the EU mobile phone vendors. It can actually be extremely advantageous ( if you can do so ) to buy a SIM in one country and use it in another

For example it’s very difficult and expensive to get unlimited Data SIMS in Greece , yet my Irish Vodafone plan , which is unlimited ( unlimited calls and text as well ) is also unlimited in Greece , I confirmed this with Vodafone , that’s for €25 a month !

Tags
internet, wifi